Pulley squeaking from cold start

Cudajon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this? It will just be squeaking at idle for a while until the truck warms up than it stops. What causes this its kind of annoying

Check the crank pully it might be coming loose! and if it does it will take out the crankshaft to!!
mine did, it would squeek in the morning or if it sat for a while..
check to see if the pully bolt in the center of the pulley is loose.
Joe

ACE said:
Check the crank pully it might be coming loose! and if it does it will take out the crankshaft to!!
mine did, it would squeek in the morning or if it sat for a while..
check to see if the pully bolt in the center of the pulley is loose.
Joe

mine did it too. then the f-ing pully jumped right off:dontknow: you better check urs asap.

Yes check the crank pulley, if it's ok then check the Idler pulley. I Had to replace my Idler pulley because of the same reason.

Quick check would be too shoot some WD40 into the Idler Pulley Bearings(not on the pulley:p ). If noise dissapears you have found the culprit!!

Good Luck

I battled a cold engine start-up squeek for awhile. Used WD-40 on the idler pulley and sure enough it would stop squeeking. The next time that I would start it, the squeek was even louder and would last longer before falling silent.After replacing the idler pulley and still having the squeek, I finally replaced the belt. Squeek gone! Check your belt and I hope that helps.

mine does it. im thinking the idler pulley. havent checked the harmonic balancer yet. with 85k on it i would assume its tight. got a extra belt behind the seat needs installing i guess.

Kwyjibo said:
I battled a cold engine start-up squeek for awhile. Used WD-40 on the idler pulley and sure enough it would stop squeeking. The next time that I would start it, the squeek was even louder and would last longer before falling silent.After replacing the idler pulley and still having the squeek, I finally replaced the belt. Squeek gone! Check your belt and I hope that helps.
same thing - replace the belt, no more noise.....:)

you '04 guys had alot of issues with the crank pulley bolt coming loose - best check that too.

As all have said, check that thing ASAP.....Mine came loose as well, serpentine belt came off and caused one hell of a mess under the hood, and to top that off ruined a nice Sat afternoon waiting 2hrs for a tow truck:mad:

me too

Cudajon said:
Does anyone else have this? It will just be squeaking at idle for a while until the truck warms up than it stops. What causes this its kind of annoying

Mine does this when it has rained outside. I changed the belt and it still does it. I also have the Roe SC bolted on. The tensioner was checked out and they told me it was right. :dontknow:

Speed

Mine has recently started this too. Was going to put it in the stealership for a warranty fix but might as well try to fix it myself rather than be without the truck while they fix it.

Noob question. Which pulley is the idler pulley?

Alright fellas, my truck is having the same problem. I'm trying to install my new belt and I have a question. Do you loosen the bolt on the idler pulley to take the belt off? I know this sounds like a dumb ass question but I want to make sure before I go breaking bolts.

All help is appreciated!

10banger said:
Alright fellas, my truck is having the same problem. I'm trying to install my new belt and I have a question. Do you loosen the bolt on the idler pulley to take the belt off? I know this sounds like a dumb ass question but I want to make sure before I go breaking bolts.

All help is appreciated!
the pulley below the alternator is on a spring tensioner, put a wrench on it's pulley bolt to take the tension off the belt.... it's fun. :elefant: :D

i found it easier to get to the belt by removing the stock air box top & air hose from the TB... good luck. :)

Last edited:
To get the belt back on, best to put the belt on all the pulleys but the water pump and then wrench the idler to the max and slide it onto the smooth water pump pulley.

Holy Shit pressing down on that thing was a f'n knuckle buster..... Advice for anyone having to do this - Grab a friend b/c it's impossible to do this by yourself.

It is not squeaking anymore. I put some WD-40 on the Idler pulley because I thought it would loosen it up to help me. I'm about to find out if it was the belt or the idler pulley once Ol' WD-40 wears off. The belt did look a little frayed. I also tightened up my crank bolt. Thank god I took a look at it as well because it was loose. Keeping my fingers crossed on the squeaking.

In my opinion this is a must for any SRT-10 owner. I think I may have just saved my motor.

Thanks guys you f'n rock as always!!!!!

I replaced my belt and the noise went away until I washed the engine compartment and the noise came back. I might have to start pulling the belt before I wash it again.

HV SRT said:
I replaced my belt and the noise went away until I washed the engine compartment and the noise came back. I might have to start pulling the belt before I wash it again.
Same exact thing happened to me today..... damnit!!! WTF??!!:motz:

Is there anything that prevents this from happening? Perhaps maybe a belt dressing or something. I'm going to bang my brains into the dash if I have to deal with this much longer!:driver: :banghead:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back