Rear Wing Mishap

TXVIPERPWRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a dumbass. I was re-installing the wing on the back of the truck and the bolt head snapped off. It started to get a little tight before it broke so I'm sure it was cross threaded versus being too far in there.

Does anyone know how to get the broken piece out of the wing or am I screwed and need to buy another one?

I had the same thing happened to me. I tried various easy outs combined with various lubes including PB blaster. I ended up taking my truck to my local dealer for some other work and asked if they could fix the wing. The removed the broken bolt and re-tapped it. Cost was about $70 but it was worth it to get the wing back on securely. Several people gave ideas and they might work for you. Here is the original thread. Good luck.

Smoke

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29919

Same thing happened to me. Truck was only 3 months old so I took the wing to the dealer. They cracked the wing while trying to get the bolt out so they ordered me a new one.

What I usually try with broken bolts is to weld a nut onto what's left (if it didn't break off flush) and then use a wrench to get it out. If if broke off flush, easy outs are about the only option.

Scrambler1 said:
...weld a nut onto what's left (if it didn't break off flush) and then use a wrench to get it out.

Ahhhhhh.........:rock: :D

No problem here keeping my nuts lubed !!! :dontknow:

Contrary to the opinion of some I do the same for my lugs!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back