Second Thoughts about Supercharger

greatone61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I'm starting to have second thoughts about going my planned route for a supercharger because of all these engine problems people are having. If I stay N/A and just do a set of Strikers, cam and tune, what hp gain would that yield me?

Greatone61 quit kidding yourself! Just do it bro, remove the engine, put an awesome bottom end in it, heads cam so-on, then super charge or turbo an be happy.

guys we are not having problems with our engines.

Blake had a tuner problem, then the tuner had a brian fart and goofed.

Mine was just plain stupidity, plain and simple.

STS just junk

Walts, well thats out for debat:D

Our engines are fine, you can SC it and have tons of fun, or you can build the engine and go for it, the main weakness is the pistons, they are jsut plain cheap.

Heffner, underground, SVS, hennessy,Roe , Boomer, and others have been building these engines since 03 with no problems, but for high hp you MUST do the bottom end in order for the pistons to hold.

just go ahead and do it !!!

if you are happy with around 700hp, the stock bottomend can be left in there, and we have LOTS of viper-engined, Supercharged engines with over 10,000 miles on them. so you have nothing to worry about, but like anything you get what you paid for, and nothing can take the place of an experienced tuner to get the most out of your project with reliablitly.
also, please remember this: dont think that because you throw money at it, that it makes the end result that much better. the more proven simple installs can make as much if not more than the ones that had a ton of unnesesary shit thrown at it.
take a friend of mine in newyork: he had bought a ton of cool bolt on, supposed to make more power; STUFF, and for almost 2 months the shop doing the install called me dailey. every time, i would say the same things for them to do, remove those & this, and install this, and every week they would call me back to ask why couldnt they make it work?
they made it more complicated than it needed to be. it even went to another tuner shop who aLso called me. i gave the same advice.
for 2 months, same thing. finally my friend & i had a heart to heart talk. he demanded that his tuner do what i said, do away with the $2500 worth of shit he didnt need, and VOOOLAAA an instant 100hp gain, and instant drivability and now he is back driving his truck again.
bottom line, stick with what works, and you wont have troubles.

Never had any problems....:dontknow:

Heads and a cam will get you 120-150 rwhp....= not enough...:D ...and the sound of the S/C=:D ...

all about the tune....

Stinker said:
Boomers Drunk bro, dont listen to him! Send him your truck and $25,000 and tell him to get to it!:D
thats a good point, well said:burnout:

Stinker said:
Boomers Drunk bro, dont listen to him! Send him your truck and $25,000 and tell him to get to it!:D
Shit, if I could afford it, it would already be there. Ahh one day.

Bill.

BOOMER said:
if you are happy with around 700hp, the stock bottomend can be left in there, and we have LOTS of viper-engined, Supercharged engines with over 10,000 miles on them. so you have nothing to worry about, but like anything you get what you paid for, and nothing can take the place of an experienced tuner to get the most out of your project with reliablitly.
also, please remember this: dont think that because you throw money at it, that it makes the end result that much better. the more proven simple installs can make as much if not more than the ones that had a ton of unnesesary shit thrown at it.
take a friend of mine in newyork: he had bought a ton of cool bolt on, supposed to make more power; STUFF, and for almost 2 months the shop doing the install called me dailey. every time, i would say the same things for them to do, remove those & this, and install this, and every week they would call me back to ask why couldnt they make it work?
they made it more complicated than it needed to be. it even went to another tuner shop who aLso called me. i gave the same advice.
for 2 months, same thing. finally my friend & i had a heart to heart talk. he demanded that his tuner do what i said, do away with the $2500 worth of shit he didnt need, and VOOOLAAA an instant 100hp gain, and instant drivability and now he is back driving his truck again.
bottom line, stick with what works, and you wont have troubles.

I was thinking about 600-650rwhp would be good enough for me, I'm not sure how much that is at the crank. I drive this truck everyday practically, I wouldn't mind more than that but for everyday use I think 600-650 is perfect for me. I always wondered why I haven't heard of a Viper guy blowing his engine due to F/I. Thanks!!

exactly bo, as th main thing is the tune! I really cant stress this enough!

You can do anything you want , but the tune will make or brake the engine.

greatone61 said:
I was thinking about 600-650rwhp would be good enough for me, I'm not sure how much that is at the crank. I drive this truck everyday practically, I wouldn't mind more than that but for everyday use I think 600-650 is perfect for me. I always wondered why I haven't heard of a Viper guy blowing his engine due to F/I. Thanks!!
let me know and my truck driver can pick it up!

greatone61 said:

600 is not going to happen with-out F/I ...unless you spend more than the S/C would cost....by alot(NOS excluded)....A S/C with a conservative 600rwhp tune will run like a swiss watch....ALL ABOUT THE TUNE

Nowwhat said:
Never had any problems....:dontknow:

Heads and a cam will get you 120-150 rwhp....= not enough...:D ...and the sound of the S/C=:D ...

all about the tune....
:D What he said........ :dancing:

Quick

Nowwhat said:
600 is not going to happen with-out F/I ...unless you spend more than the S/C would cost....by alot(NOS excluded)....A S/C with a conservative 600rwhp tune will run like a swiss watch....ALL ABOUT THE TUNE
:rock: Dan's got us all around +640/rwhp, (except for MIKE aka nowwhat) and for me less than 8.3#'s/boost nice and safe as a daily driver. I rarely see that 8#'s/boost number on the street. Besides the stock/rubber won't even hold that, there is NO first gear hehehe :dancing:

Quick

Last edited:
Nowwhat said:

Thats what I figured, I'd probably spend more money N/A. One question I got about the tune, and I saw this happen to my buddy with a 6.1 Hemi. He got a S/C installed on it in SoCal, drove it back to ABQ, tune didn't work well and it blew. Does elevation have a part to play in this?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back