Sick of Christmas

sealalot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else sick and tired of it yet? I've always been a Grinch. Christmas eve and Christmas day are nice, but not the two f'ing months of the "Christmas Season" leading up to those 48 hours. Two months is 1/6th of the year. That's a long time. It ruins any hope of Christmas being special for me. The way I see it, who cares if I'm not feeling "Christmasy" this year...It'll be the "Christmas season" again before I know it.

I spend one December down in Florida. It's different there. Not so in-your-face. I'm sure to people who live there it might feel like that, but trust me it's not that bad. I dunno why it's such a huge deal here. Maybe all the Catholics. Some people put up their decorations in September around here. IN SEPTEMBER! Grrr. Bah-Humbug!

sealalot said:
Anyone else sick and tired of it yet? I've always been a Grinch. Christmas eve and Christmas day are nice, but not the two f'ing months of the "Christmas Season" leading up to those 48 hours. Two months is 1/6th of the year. That's a long time. It ruins any hope of Christmas being special for me. The way I see it, who cares if I'm not feeling "Christmasy" this year...It'll be the "Christmas season" again before I know it.

I spend one December down in Florida. It's different there. Not so in-your-face. I'm sure to people who live there it might feel like that, but trust me it's not that bad. I dunno why it's such a huge deal here. Maybe all the Catholics. Some people put up their decorations in September around here. IN SEPTEMBER! Grrr. Bah-Humbug!

Christmas is now a retail event sealalot. Walmart and all the other retailers have to make their projections for the year. They are trying to make up a year of poor sales in two months...

I can still remember the good old days when nobody put up xmas stuff until after thanksgiving. Now they put all the xmas stuff up after halloween.

Commercialization of xmas has been going on for a very long time. isn't the jolly fat man a retail event to sell coke anyway:dontknow:

To sign off:)
You're a three decker saurkraut and toadstool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!

-jeff

If we did not have two wonderful grandaughters, my wife and I would spend Christmas in Las Vegas.

Christmas can be the time of year where you are reminded that you have no family, or no Gf .......and they just stuff it down your throat!!! I know I have had several where I just hated everything about it!!!

I know I hate the buying of gifts just to buy a gift because its expected!!! Too much pressure for me............I just cant stand shopping at all.

Hang in there dude...........its almost over.

patrick

Attachments

• boobs10.jpg
    boobs10.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 9,711
It gets very frustrating/annoying to me,also.Especially when neighbors put up decorations right after Halloween.:mad: That just ruins the specialness of the season.Our Wallyworld starts with Christmas stuff on Halloween night !!!

The Christmas season is different for many people.For some it just STARTS on Dec 25th and goes from there.I never understood the "church calender" because we didn't go to a Catholic or Orthodox/mainline church.There is the "Advent","Christmas","Epiiphany" and so on involved in the "official" Christmas season.

Then there are the pagans with the solstice/yule/Saturnalia celebrations.The Jews have Hannukah,the Muslims have Eid,and then there is Kwanzaa.

To each his own.I try to make the most of it,but it does get to be tedious at times.

In whatever way that you celebrate,try to enjoy it.You will never get a do-over.Next year may never come.Some one close to you might be gone next year.It will only be as good as you decide to make it.;) :)

Merry Christmas !!!!!!!!!!

'Twas a month before Christmas, in the quaint town of Whoville and it was snowing. One particular Who down in Whoville, little Timmy Yoo-Who, was passing the time, as most little whooligans did, by throwing snowballs at icicles.

Suddenly, a high, tinny voice rang out. "Wait!" the apparently anthropomorphic icicle said. "I am a magical Christmas icicle. If you spare me, I will grant you one Christmas wish."

A thousand wishes flitted through Timmy's head: A Fruit-by-the-Foot roll the size of a stadium. A real lightsaber that tastes like chocolate. A Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots game made of pure gold. Maybe he could even wish to be cured of his whokemia.

But Timmy, moved by the spirit of Christmas, asked for something far simpler. "I wish that Christmas wasn't so commercialized. Instead of scrambling over each other all impolite-like to get the best deals on presents, I wish people would instead give each other the best Christmas gift of all: The gift of hugs!"

There was a twinkle, a blinding flash of light and the obligatory musical flourish.

That Christmas, instead of buying presents, the Whos made them out of Elmer's glue, construction paper and macaroni. Without the Christmas rush, hundreds of stores went out of business, thousands lost their jobs and the Who stock market plummeted. Within a matter of days, Whoville had become another Whooverville. Timmy's wish had come true. He looked out the window and saw hundreds of people, evicted from their homes, hugging each other. They had to, to keep from freezing to death. Instead of the traditional Roast Beast, the denizens of Whoville had to survive on mere Roast Grinch.

Christmas has several purposes. It brings families together to allow them to fight more efficiently. It's a time where we can justify eating six dozen Snickerdoodles with a claim "we felt led by the holiday spirit" and a New Year's resolution to "start doing that jogging thing again someday."
But most of all, Christmas is a massive steroid shot into the Jose Canseco of the American economy.

It all goes back to the very first Christmas, when a host of angels appeared before a crowd of trembling shepherds. "Hark! We bring tidings of great savings and heavenly deals. Look yonder, to the east. There, JC Penney's shalt bequeath three Sharper Image Sheep Shearing kits for the price of but 17 shekels. But, lo, ye must arrive when breaks the dawn, for the line will be long and the multitude many."

Of course, the Wise Men knew they could get a far better deal by going to Hakeem's Secondhand Tabernacle and switching tags around.
"But there are other purposes to Christmas as well!" you yell at the newspaper, to the annoyance of the other people in the coffee shop. "What about all those TV Christmas specials that talk about love and joy and candy canes?" And what's the purpose of those specials? To make money. I'm guessing that by now, Charlie Brown has enough dough to hire a star NFL punter to kick Lucy's football into the tree to get his kite down. Mr. Charles Brown's actual Christmas tree is probably 20 feet tall, bronze, and imported from the Caymans.

And the purpose of Santa? Just another way for the bourgeoisie to disguise the labor of the oppressed proletariat. Santa goes by many different names: "Saint Nikolas." "Father Christmas." "Uncle Steve." Or "Tim Allen's increasingly pathetic acting career."

But in all cultures, Santa, like true love, is simply a lie told to us by society to trick us into buying greeting cards and taking showers.
Of course, being a child of intellect, I always knew that behind Santa's fuzzy white beard was a double chin of deceit.

"Come on," my 5-year-old self would say. "Do you honestly believe that a mysterious fat old man uses diminutive laborers to produce millions of suspiciously brand-name toys which he flies undetected via reindeer - not the most aerodynamic creature - to the 5.4 million people in the world on one chaotic night, bending the very fabric of space-time by breaking and entering via chimneys smaller than his considerable girth? No, Virginia, after subjecting the possibility to Occam's razor cruel edge, there is, in all likelihood, not a Santa Claus."

Then, I would reveal the grim truth. "Every being of even moderate intelligence knows that the gifts under the Christmas tree come from the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy pulling holiday shifts for a little extra cash."
Some people claim Jesus's birthday, not Santa's rampage of generosity or the American economy, is the reason for the season. This seems inaccurate. When you're eternal years old, every day is your birthday. After about the 17th infinity rolls around, even Funfetti cake begins to lose its fun.

Either way, the things we love about Christmas - the schmaltzy songs, the figgy pudding, the Yukon Corneliuses - are successful precisely because they are profitable.

But you know what product really roasts my chestnuts? Christmas trees that instead of being made out of, well, tree, are hammered out in soulless plastic factories. Instead of smelling like pine needles with just a tinge of fire hazard, these trees smell like PVC with just a tinge of underpaid labor.
I remember a time when, before the white man came, Native Americans could just walk into the forest and, using their superior hunting skills, just find trees sitting there.

Some argue it's not the quality or veracity of the tree. It's what's under the tree that matters. Unfortunately, as you age the gifts get less exciting.
I bet when Donald Trump gets yet another acquisition of a small company or canister of Traffic Cone Temptations hair dye, he smiles and politely thanks the supermodel for the present. But deep in what remains of his heart, he's disappointed. What he really wanted was LEGOs.
In the end, however, it doesn't matter what you buy this Christmas, as long as you buy. Keep the fires of commerce burning! Meet the commercialization of Christmas with outstretched arms, not to mention outstretched debit cards.

Nothing satiates the gaping maw of the American economy like the Christmas spirit.
Or, alternatively, Snickerdoodles.

sealalot said:

Well then....from my perspective it's hard to even notice it is Christmas ...so I guess I am not really tired of it. The Mrs's is out of town till the 27th... I am on at the Firehouse on the 25th...and all my family lives 1200 miles away...so..:dontknow: To boot this is the second year in a row this time of year is "Just another day of the week" ... :dontknow: :D And I get to work them all again next year.... :nurse:
We have a saying at our FD.... "That's what the "B" shift stands for... bring a covered dish, cuz' your workin Christmas" :rofl:
We do make the best of it though... I have been blessed with the best guy's at my station.:rock:

AND... I do get to spend it here with the VTCOA family... and for that I will always be forever grateful for what everyone has done for Dawn and I, and the lifelong friendships that have recieved as a result.:rock: :rock:

For that is the greatest gift of all.

Hang in there bro...and have a great 2008:rock: :D

I have always disliked Christmas as well. I think it started when I was 2 years old and my divorced parents were fighting over which one of them I would spend Christmas with. 35 Christmases later and the fight goes on! Bah Humbug! Christmas is nothing but a great marketing ploy anyhow. By the way, Santa, if you're listening, I want a new BMW M6 convertible for Christmas.

i don't "feel" the spirit until a couple of days before x-mas (maybe its the souped up egg-nog) by the way... the forecast for x-mas day is 70* and sunny!:rock: in 2004 we actually got 6" of snow!

Did maui just say soliloquy :confused: WTF Lmao that island bud must be kickin :rock: well just to be different I F@ckin love Christmas :p Just because all you other pricks hate it......I am going to Love it :p Hell I am going F@ckin Griswald I am so nutty in Love with it now :p Grinch Bastages :D I am waiting for Stinkers Christmas poem this year.............:rock: Come on Stink what's the F@uckin hold up buddy :dontknow: :D I can't believe I posted something w/o one F@ckin curse word in the Mother [email protected] holiday spirt thang ain't to F@ckin bad really.....Merry ****** Christmas :D

P.S. I did such a good job catching my own F-Bombs :nurse:

**A good job but not a great job, I found one. But just because it's Xmas I fixed it instead of deleting the whole post LOL..............OC

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh almost forgot Sealalot please put where you live in you location for God's sake....Tired of hearing about out here I wanna choke ya....WTF is here anyway F@ck knuckle :confused: :D

Im not sick of Christmas..I just cant afford it...lol..
The kids are alittle bit older and their gifts get a little more expensive every year. Jessica wants a laptop, Justin wants XBox, or was it a new 22" monitor, or a new cell phone, or a car, or a mini fridge filled with Red Bull, or..well..make up your freakin mind!!!,,Jeez..Next year it will be trips to the Mexican Riviera or some such crap...lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back