srt10 vs ctd

RumbleBeeRay

Reaction score
how do the srt10s stack up against the ctd? ive seen some vids and heard some stories of ctds handing viper owners their head on a platter at the track.

personaly i like the displacment advantage, but the ctds can push amazing amounts of power. get a rc/lb and it could be a dangerous vehicle.

cummings turbo diesel- My friend has a 01' 1 ton 4x4 that runs 14.0, and another guy that has a 04' 2500 4x4 with stock internals with a turbo upgrade and alot of tuning that went 12.5 against my hemi there slow off the line but as soon as they build boost you can say bye bye!

I will vouch on the diesels...

I had a 2000 Ford F-350 Dually, upgraded turbo, downpipe, edge juice box, and wide open exhaust, and host of other mods..

I never ran it...but from a standing start, and little power breaking (to build boost... 45psi), I would lite up both sets of rears tires, and leave a burnout for over 130 feet!!!

Allways got looks... and comments like "Thats just wrong... "

Bought my first CTD in 1990, and then had a 93 and a 99.

It's amazing how much power they can get out of those 5.9 (360 ci) engines. Some are well over 1000HP.

What was funny with those like my 99 was it's very easy to get them up into the 500HP, 700+ in torque range and the fuel mileage would actually increase.

There are a few in my neighborhood that are in the mid 12's's ;) They usually pull 1.6 and 1.7's on stock tires.

This is exactly what I am considering now - a turbo'd hot rod truck for under $30K.

it makes me mad , really how they can make them trucks so fast wiith little upgrades, but it takes alot to get our trucks there

My 05 Duramax dually with an Edge with Atitude controller and a Magnaflow exhaust, cost of mods $1100.00. Hp 450 TQ 900

Goes up steep hills towing like nothing is there and gets great mileage.

The Diesel Dually gets better mileage the my SRT-10, both around town and on the road.

I wish someone would make a short bed, 1/2 ton diesel.

you figure with a good exhaust, intercooler, turbo upgrade and the computer programmer most will run 12's but all that stuff adds up to around 3k. but 75 percent of the time they will need new head studs and gaskets if they're auto's they need a new torque converter at the very least. ive seen a bunch throw rods aso. so in the end we can spend the same money and run the same time. my friend won the diesel nats at englishtown last summer with 12.1 consistant but has gone threw 3 motors and 2 trnsmissions since.

There is no comparison on the fun factor. I don't care what you do to a diesel, its not going to touch the handling of the SRT. I have both, an 05 QC SRT and an 06 CTD QC dually. The dually gets better mileage, will tow down a house, and is relatively cheap to play with. But my supercharged SRT will run circles around it.

Honestly if you're talking about big mods to either truck, its expensive. If all you'd want to do is programmers to the diesel, sure thats cheap. But if you want it in the low 12's then by the time you upgrade turbos, injectors, programmers, exhaust, intake, transmission, o-ring heads, you're pretty close to the same money as a supercharged SRT and the SRT will still outrun it. If you want twin turbos etc then you've outspent the SRT.

I love the CTD for a tow rig, but its not a toy.

Joe

I will agree on the power and MPG of a diesel, but I cannot stand the smell. To me the fuel and the exhaust sell worse than a dead rotting animal. IMO

Bill.

I too have both and have the same opinions as other post. But the weird thing is the CTD(stock) seems to pull harder, and I know it is not faster. But there is nothing better than letting out a smokescreen on the ricers. But out of all the big 3 diesels the cummins block is the strongest. It will handle more boost than the duramax and powerstroke without having to replace studs and such things.

wyoramsrt-10 said:
I too have both and have the same opinions as other post. But the weird thing is the CTD(stock) seems to pull harder, and I know it is not faster. But there is nothing better than letting out a smokescreen on the ricers. But out of all the big 3 diesels the cummins block is the strongest. It will handle more boost than the duramax and powerstroke without having to replace studs and such things.

Its all about torque...

Torques gets you moving, and determines how quickly you get moving...and HP maintains that movement...simply speaking.

my brother has a duramax and i had two before i bought my dodge they cant run with these trucks without some jack being spent on them i agree the cummins can take more b/c its set up like the big trucks.

wyoramsrt-10 said:

I agree... there is nothing more fun that smokescreening a ricer or tailgator with a convertible.... :D

eddie102870 said:
my brother has a duramax and i had two before i bought my dodge they cant run with these trucks without some jack being spent on them i agree the cummins can take more b/c its set up like the big trucks.

The cummins 5.9 ISB is a killer motor... its what is in my 38 foot MotorHome.. and weighs loaded with trailer, over 35,000lbs!!! Little slow coming out of hole...not a tire smoker... but she rolls down the freeway at 75mphs really nice...

My only mods are the Banks Stinger (PCM, Intake, Boost Controller, Fuel Controller, and Turbo Housing upgrade). I average 11-12mpg!!

How did I miss this thread this weekend?

Did someone say Diesel Power? Here's my diesel powered PRO MOD race truck-its almost done from the chassis shop- Its gonna be powered by a 1200hp twin turbo Cummins- by estimates it should 60 foot in the 1.teens- hope to hit the 7's in the quarter with it this year!:rock:

where are the videos of these twelve second diesels ? I gotta see that ...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back