Stupid question

ViperPowa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got thinking and I realized I never even noticed what gear I was crossing the 1/4mile traps in. It's 4th gear for both the RC and QC right? Almost certain it's 4th since we have to run it in tow/haul mode to keep from shifting into OD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

I know, stupid question.

LOL fuker:D

I coulda sworn it was 4th, and tow/haul to keep from going overdrive. But was talking to some guys with different make (v8) trucks and they say they only hit 3rd maybe 100feet before the traps and it got me thinking wtf.

jtsdad told me his was in 3rd gear crossing the line......would make sense because 3rd is your 1 to 1 gear as is 4th in the RC.....my RC crosses in 4th..

ViperPowa said:
LOL fuker:D

I coulda sworn it was 4th, and tow/haul to keep from going overdrive. But was talking to some guys with different make (v8) trucks and they say they only hit 3rd maybe 100feet before the traps and it got me thinking wtf.
Thought 4th was overdrive in the quads:confused:

Pretty sure it's 3rd. From what I can tell after the months of owning mine is that if you put it in tow/haul it just keeps it in 3rd and doesn't let the TC lock until 55 I believe. When in Drive it locks the TC at 40 and will go into overdrive. As far as comparing to a non 10 Ram their gearing is way more highway oriented, probably 3.42 or higher. Will probably just get into 3rd where my 10 is deep into 3rd with the 4.56. Then the next variable is overall tire height as well. Could put 22" wheels and 31" tires diameter on a 4.7 ram and get thru the 1/4 in 2nd with 3.42 or higher gearing.
And you are 1 to 1 in 3rd on a 48re and 4 gear on the 6 spd. IN my experience dynos are run in these gears to get an accurate as possible reading. 6 spd should pull in 4th and 3rd on the Auto.;)

That's due to your 4.88s though.;) You really don't want to go into fifth. EIther a taller tire or more HP to stay in 4th. Or if you are safe to raise your rev limiter and run out 4th.

VENOMOUS1 said:
That's due to your 4.88s though.;) You really don't want to go into fifth. EIther a taller tire or more HP to stay in 4th. Or if you are safe to raise your rev limiter and run out 4th.
Nope, that was with the 4.56's. I was on the rev limiter at least 100' before the lights.

question so if you swapped to 3.92s or watever it is could you stay in third and in essence be as fast:dontknow:

ViperPunk said:
question so if you swapped to 3.92s or watever it is could you stay in third and in essence be as fast:dontknow:
Nope again, it would take you to long to build the rpm's

ViperPunk said:
so how much hp would it take to make lower gears beneficial

Not sure but I would say you need to be going the forced induction route before going lower than the 4.10's :dontknow:

FATJACK said:
I had to shift to 5th in my R/C, with the drag radials.

I dont understand why you are maxing out 4th gear Jack...I cross the line with the same DRs at 116MPH in 4th at about 5800 RPM..:dontknow:

ViperPunk said:
so how much hp would it take to make lower gears beneficial
Doesn't take HP to make a lower rear gear ratio beneficial. What your trying to do with a lower gear ratio is get to your peak power faster. It will also take strain away from motor and clutches auto or manual because it will take less effort to turn the axles.

TNVIPER said:
I dont understand why you are maxing out 4th gear Jack...I cross the line with the same DRs at 116MPH in 4th at about 5800 RPM..:dontknow:
Larry, you were in Macon when I was having to do that.

Larry thats cause he drives a red rust bucket ,,,,takes more with all that wind blowing threw the rust holes:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back