The Ram Air Opening on our Hoods...and Mopar's RAM AIR CAI Set-Up...

Skyydiver

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so my anal side is coming out (hey...no comments from the peanut gallery! :toilet: ) and I am wanting my garage queens engine bay to stay clean. I want to reduce the amount of dirt that gets into the engine bay.

So I have three choices and wanted to get some opinions (because I know the members on this board are full of opinions!:D ) on blocking the Ram Air port of our hoods. I know this opening is to allow fresh/cool air to come in and help cool the engine down...but I just can't help but think about all the dirt that comes in with the fresh air.

1) Volant Cold Air Intake system - ummmm.....yeah....probably not

2) Block off the opening entirely

3) Go with Mopars Full On Ram Air Hood CAI
http://www.moparmudder.com/newtruck/srt10/ram air Instructions.pdf

Is anyone using this kit from Mopar? I know some are using just the tube and filter, but is anyone also using the piece that connects up to the ram air ducting of the hood? If so, what do you think? Does it work well? Worth the money?

Who would have the best price on these kits? I bet they are pretty freaking expensive!!!

As always...thanks for the input!

Joe

(I still love this elephant! :elefant: )

i think that the route that you will want to go is with the K&N drop in....there arent any real gains with the ram air setup due to its a low pressure area, its really meant for cooling and looks of course....

Yeah...and that is what is driving me nuts because that seems to be the consensus on here...that the drop in is giving the most gains over a CAI. But I have to admit, I would really like to hear that noise that comes with a CAI...but it is hard to justify $65 for a drop in (that's the cheapest that I have found it) vs a minimum of $250 for a CAI (JMB Performance)

well go with the JMB cai then, the makes great products.....its your canvas to do what you want with....make it yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talk to dragon... he has the mopar cai...
i like the k&n and have heard a lot of good things about JMB's

You will get more dirt into your engine bay from the front grille area than you will from the hood scoop.

The hood "scoop" is actually a heat outlet. Blocking it off or adding something that prevents heat from escaping (like a Mopar or Volant system) would actually DECREASE horsepower because your engine bay isn't able to cool as quickly as it should. Higher engine temps = lower HP.
$400-650 to get less HP seems like a really bad deal.
But that's just me.

You said it's a garage queen? Score a couple of pieces of thin soft foam from a fabric store and trim it to fit the openings (electric carving knives work GREAT for cutting foam).
Zip-tie in place.
Remove before driving.

If you're just into looks, the JMB and the Mopar are tops.
If you're into actually driving the vehicle, drop-in or JMB.

I wish I could find something to plug it up just to run through the Brushless car wash, don't want all that soapy water in the engine bay! Way too hard to get the water stains off the motor!!

Kevan said:
You will get more dirt into your engine bay from the front grille area than you will from the hood scoop.

The hood "scoop" is actually a heat outlet. Blocking it off or adding something that prevents heat from escaping (like a Mopar or Volant system) would actually DECREASE horsepower because your engine bay isn't able to cool as quickly as it should. Higher engine temps = lower HP.
$400-650 to get less HP seems like a really bad deal.
But that's just me.

You said it's a garage queen? Score a couple of pieces of thin soft foam from a fabric store and trim it to fit the openings (electric carving knives work GREAT for cutting foam).
Zip-tie in place.
Remove before driving.

If you're just into looks, the JMB and the Mopar are tops.
If you're into actually driving the vehicle, drop-in or JMB.

Thanks Kevan...that is great "Food For Thought"

As far as "CAI" goes, here is what I did. I modded the existing setup since it seemed to the best. I've yet to add a K&N, but the SOTP Dyno says I gained a few, plus it sounds pretty wicked. Similar to an old Holley Quadrajet's secondaries opening up. :D

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12620

As far as the hood opening is concerned, if you're crafty, you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get yourself some clear plexiglass and cut it to shape and fit in hood opening.

Happy Modding! :D

I think it depends on what truck you have. I had a drop in filter for a while in my quad cab. Then I put on the volant and notice a difference. I have heard that the volant works better on a quad cab vs. a standard cab. Either way I did notice a good increase with the volant.

I had the volant its a POS, overall motor temp went up using it. Blocking off the intake entierly will also raise the motor temp, my buddy has and uses the factory kit its nice but pricey, i use the JMB i like it but then again i dont mind a little dirt.

I have had both the volant and now have the JMB.Temp wise there really was'nt that much diff with or without the snorkel installed.maybe some fine mess installed on the inside of the scoop would help with the crud getting in.
I really dont notice all that much.Probly more from the grill area then there.
I really like the jmb.Color matched with catch can.It looks sweet and the sound is awesome.Mostly for bling.Not sure on HP increases.Not much.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back