The truth about gears... questions

SRT-MIKE said:
Man... I really don't want to take it that far. I wonder if there is a larger tire that would fit our rims, any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the good info.
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm This is the company that widened my new wheels. They can widen your stockers to accommodate a larger tire. Mine cost 300.00 each, but I was widening by 6". Drop them a e-mail, and they can give you a quote.

Marc T said:
I would not go back to 4:56's unless i was going to the track on a regular basis. With 4:88's your truck will be quicker and yes you will need to be quicker also!! There is a difference between being quick and being fast!;)

If you Love to run up to 80-100 real quick, 4:88's are the answer. If you wanna play faster than that you probably wanna stay with 4:56!!

This is good info. Expect to shift a lot more with 4.88's. The rpms come up very fast in my truck............with FI....WOW I can hardly imagine having to shift that much quicker with WOT. When I floor it, I am looking at the tach not the road.............bad I know but, thats how fast they come up. In first gear when it hits 3k, it then leaps to over 5k because of tire spin:burnout: I am learning the technique of how to feather the throttle !:D

FYI....MPG went down by 2 after adding the gears.:( Oh well, but the fun meter when way up!:rock:

patrick

SRT-MIKE said:
Man... I really don't want to take it that far. I wonder if there is a larger tire that would fit our rims, any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the good info.

the 325's will fit stock rims!

Give me a few days Mike and I will let you know what it's like:rock: As long as I'm not missing some parts for the install:p :D :burnout: LOL!

I run 4.88s in my rockcrawler Dodge with the non-viper V-10 and 37" tall tires. Makes it feel a ton lighter!

One thing no one has mentioned or addressed - the strength degradation from 4.56 to 4.88s due to fewer teeth on the pinion - 9 for the 4.56 and only 8 on the 4.88s. It may be a moot point with the stock axles as they may be the "fuse", not the pinion/ring gear, or moot due to not enough traction, but I know it's a consideration in the rockcrawling crowd.

Marc T said:
Mike.

Another cheap way to see if 4:88's are for you would be to borrow a set of 20 or 19 inch wheels and tires and run with them!!

This is the best idea yet! If you can find some 28" tall tires to try you would get a good idea how the truck would feel with the 4:88's
IMQ the 4:56's would be perfect for your truck, the fun factor would be amazing with the 4:88's. The 4:10's have got to go.:toilet:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back