This is an odd help request for this site

This sucks
I am getting exactly what you get when you research...Horror stories and great reviews. We just like the high speed spin drying the clothes better so when they go in the dryer you dont use as much energy. Dont they make top loaders with high spin rates now??? Maybe thats what I should be looking for

Black1 said:
The industry term is "Scrud"... It's a buildup of residue from liquid detergents and fabric softeners (mostly fabric softener). Some models and different brands offer a "Self Clean" or "Sanitary" option on the wash settings. Usually, you only run bleach in this setting and HOT water... this will clean the tub. But, the best option I've seen is to NOT use liquid fabric softener..................................

I come from a family in the appliance biz... ..................Me?... Well, I also worked at Whirlpool for a number of years. I only buy top loaders. We currently have a Whirlpool Calypso Washer and Senseon Dryer set. Besides some problems with the control panel on the Calypso, we love it. :)

We couldn't use ANY fabric softener with ours and we used the smallest amount of detergent possible. And it STILL accumulated the SCRUD.

The highlighted parts of your last paragraph says it all for me. ;)

505'sFastestViper. said:
2 yrs maytag front loaders never had mold hell never had a repairman look at them best w and d ive ever owned!!!
Yep ,got a Maytag stack up thats been doing fine for over 15 years should last another 10 like the last MayTag set I got from my Grandma:rock:

Demon 8 said:
This sucks
I am getting exactly what you get when you research...Horror stories and great reviews. We just like the high speed spin drying the clothes better so when they go in the dryer you dont use as much energy. Dont they make top loaders with high spin rates now??? Maybe thats what I should be looking for

1100 RPM...

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=WASHERS&cat=115&prod=1845

:rock: Plus, you can wash a KING SIZE comforter in that puppy, if you wanted to... ;)

Last edited:
My wife has a Kenmore front loader which we've had for about 5 years. We've had the main and wash tub replaced (warranty) due to the main bearing failing. They said it was due to not using the He3 detergent in a He3 machine. I thought detergent was detergent. :dontknow:

Anyhow she has switched to the He3 stuff and haven't had anymore problems but the amount of time that it failed the first time hasn't lapsed. She uses the crap out of it. Usually washes at least a tub a day so we haven't had the mold issue.

SilvrSRT10 said:
My wife has a Kenmore front loader which we've had for about 5 years. We've had the main and wash tub replaced (warranty) due to the main bearing failing. They said it was due to not using the He3 detergent in a He3 machine. I thought detergent was detergent. :dontknow:

Anyhow she has switched to the He3 stuff and haven't had anymore problems but the amount of time that it failed the first time hasn't lapsed. She uses the crap out of it. Usually washes at least a tub a day so we haven't had the mold issue.

Yeah, if you use it every day, and keep the door cracked open when you aren't using it... that makes a big difference. It was MUCH worse when they first came out with them (Maytag (the "Neptune" .... and you can see how that went) was the first to release a domestic model in the states, although units from Bosch have been on the market for years). It was the design of the tub and the fact the axis of the tub was 0deg (parallel with the ground). This caused a small amount of wash water to gather at the very bottom of the tub... causing the "scrud" issue. Later designs incorporated a slight tilt in the tub axis (5-15deg), which did a lot towards eliminating the issue. :eek:

Last edited:
Whirlpool Duet work great they don't have the problems LG have. LG make a cool looking products and have lots of features but they have not worked out the bugs. I did lots of research and Whirlpool//Maytag are up at the top. GE also make a great product but quit buying GE since they like to help IRAN.

For those that have them with no issues, congrats and more power to ya.

However, I learned a very expensive lesson and I don't have to be told twice. :D

There will be no more front loaders in mi casa. :eek:

ViperTruck2933 said:
For those that have them with no issues, congrats and more power to ya.

However, I learned a very expensive lesson and I don't have to be told twice. :D

There will be no more front loaders in mi casa. :eek:
:rock: :rock: I am following your advice bud, thnks:congrats:

If I was in the market for a new washer/dryer I'd check out that new Electrolux they've been advertising. Something like 37 minutes to wash and dry a load. Shit, it takes our dryer at least twice that by itself. heheh

LG front loader...had it three years and two months...use it every day...no problems...we do leave the door open when it is not being used so the seal will dry out. Just lucky?

Wife says that every once in awhile she'll throw a cap full of Clorox in the washer and put it on rinse cycle (no clothes) just to clean out any bad stuff that may be trying to grow in there.

we went front loader when the maytag neptunes first came out..... it had a problem with the wax motor burnin' up q6 on the motherboard:

http://www.neptunewaxmotor.com/

i replaced the q6 & added a HD relay to protect q6 & the machine has run w/o issues ever since......

love front loaders because they don't go out-of-balance like the top loaders & do a great job....... :)

dawn has had the lg front loaders for two years. no problems yet with the washer. the dryer is a pain if you dont keep the lint cleaned out of it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back