Towing with an RC

Looks good Billy :D :rock: I knew it would have no problems doing it though....Roketman's truck is still running and that thing is hauling a ton of Ass at least :D :p

Begood said:
Who says you can't tow with an RC? It pulled it like it wasn't even there. I was worried at first, but it handled it perfectly.

We got quite a few "looks" while doing this.

Bill.

Nice work. I appreciate folks using the "Ram" side of the family tree in addition to the "Viper" side.

What did you use for the hitch setup? I sold my utility truck (5.2 Dak) to make room for the 10 and I'd still like to be able to do some minor towing if I need to.

As others have mentioned, you can tow with the RC if you are careful. It really doesn't matter what gear you are in or what speed you are going. What is important is your RPM and throttle position. Our engines make 475 ft*lbs of torque at 1500 RPM (Flywheel - AKA Clutch). At this this low RPM we would have to use the diesel clutch to handle this torque, but they cant handle 6000 RPM with out exploding. With the "car" clutch we have, the counterweights don't create enough pressure at that low RPM to properly clamp the clutch disk. If you are on any incline at all, you want to make sure you are in a gear that allows you to be above 2000 RPM at all times. For down hill and level cruising, it doesn't matter. If you plan to accelerate, get back above 2000 RPM.

I just installed the bumper style hitch on my RC. It's held on with four bolts. I did remove my bumper cover to be able to install the bolts without cutting holes in it (easy to do). Getting the bolts down through the tube is another matter. I ended up using a vaccuum to pull some string through the hole in the tube out the end. Taped the string to the threads of the bolt/washer and pulled it back through so that the threads come out where it's suppose to be. Should be more than enough to haul anything I need to. Plus I put the Viper hitch cover in it so it looks good when I'm not hauling anything. This is the one I got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-0...008QQitemZ180176143059QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:
Overclocker said:
Nice work. I appreciate folks using the "Ram" side of the family tree in addition to the "Viper" side.

What did you use for the hitch setup? I sold my utility truck (5.2 Dak) to make room for the 10 and I'd still like to be able to do some minor towing if I need to.
I picked up a factory hitch from a friend of mine. JMB Justin sells a bolt on one that is a hell of a lot easier to install than the factory one, if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on a factory one I would have bought Justin's hitch.

Bill.

Begood said:
I picked up a factory hitch from a friend of mine. JMB Justin sells a bolt on one that is a hell of a lot easier to install than the factory one, if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on a factory one I would have bought Justin's hitch.

Bill.

Thanks for the tip! I might have to look into that one.

Towing

What can you tell us about getting your truck equiped to tow? We want to pull an enclosed car trailer.

John Potts

John Potts said:
What can you tell us about getting your truck equiped to tow? We want to pull an enclosed car trailer.

John Potts
Just a hitch, and a brake controller for the trailer, I use a load leveling hitch also.

Bill.

505'sFastestViper. said:
that is a sweet lookin setup....i dig that ford maverick it looks tough!!!!
Maverick, thems fighten words.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back