Tranny build up suggestions

Flip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it, I took all precautions to avoid a tranny failure but it happened anyway....the tranny is down and the guy said all of the clutches and bands are burnt; he said low flow or inadequate cooling may have been the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this? The tranny had a billet input shaft, gm solenoid conversion, transgo shiftkit, new clutches, bands etc. BTW, it had very low miles on it, practically new since he installed the aforementioned parts. I also have a 2400 billet stall convertor.

What upgrades would you guys recommend? This truck has every bolt on including a Paxton SC. I wanted to change the valve body since the stall convertor softened my shifts. Would you go Suncoast, HTS...?????

I would talk to stinker. He has his finger on the pulse of these trucks. He will be able to hook you up!

Hts brother....If your not worried about down time I would send him the tranny and let them do the whole build

As luck would have it, I took all precautions to avoid a tranny failure but it happened anyway....the tranny is down and the guy said all of the clutches and bands are burnt; he said low flow or inadequate cooling may have been the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this? The tranny had a billet input shaft, gm solenoid conversion, transgo shiftkit, new clutches, bands etc. BTW, it had very low miles on it, practically new since he installed the aforementioned parts. I also have a 2400 billet stall convertor.

What upgrades would you guys recommend? This truck has every bolt on including a Paxton SC. I wanted to change the valve body since the stall convertor softened my shifts. Would you go Suncoast, HTS...?????

Make sure your tranny guy is aware that there is a check valve (Dodge calls it a thermostat) in the cooler line. If this isn't replaced or really cleaned well, there can be problems..

Last edited:
www.htstransmissions.com ALL THE WAY!!
I have all Dusty's parts from HTS and they work perfect!! You should have went with a valve body instead of a transgo shift kit because the valve body increases the line presures from idle and WOT to prevent band slippage,Talk to Dusty Hawk at HTS and then make a decision.

FLIP? Was ur truck the one that was over at Doug Levin's?

edited from the service manual-
The convertor drain back check-valve is located in the cooler outlet (pressure) line near the radiator tank. The valve prevents drainback from the convertor if the vehicle is parked for lengthy periods. ..end

You shouldn't clean it and instead it should be replaced. If the tranny has had a failure, clutch material, metal shavings and the normal crud can plug the check valve and cause overheating or outright failure due to a major flow restriction.

This unit seems to be often forgotten on these trucks after a transmission has failed. IF THEY ARE STILL PLUGGED with crap from a previous failure/rebuild, you won't be doing the brand new rebuild any favors...

P.S. If a new one is installed backwards, it can also cook a new rebuild.

I've have a lot of money into my own 48RE as I learned most of this stuff the hard way...Now I'm hoping it will stand up to the increased power the engine will have over last year.

Ronnie

Last edited:
edited from the service manual-
The convertor drain back check-valve is located in the cooler outlet (pressure) line near the radiator tank. The valve prevents drainback from the convertor if the vehicle is parked for lengthy periods. ..end

You shouldn't clean it and instead it should be replaced. If the tranny has had a failure, clutch material, metal shavings and the normal crud can plug the check valve and cause overheating or outright failure due to a major flow restriction.

This unit seems to be often forgotten on these trucks after a transmission has failed. IF THEY ARE STILL PLUGGED with crap from a previous failure/rebuild, you won't be doing the brand new rebuild any favors...

P.S. If a new one is installed backwards, it can also cook a new rebuild.

I've have a lot of money into my own 48RE as I learned most of this stuff the hard way...Now I'm hoping it will stand up to the increased power the engine will have over last year.

Ronnie
Thx Ronnie!

Thx Ronnie!

You be welcome. Can't say if that is the problem here, but that little check-valve doesn't get much attention and could very well be the cause of repeated failures..
They really are a simple transmission; they just need a little help. And they sure shouldn't be failing right after a rebuild...

Last edited:
You be welcome. Can't say if that is the problem here, but that little check-valve doesn't get much attention and could very well be the cause of repeated failures..
They really are a simple transmission; they just need a little help. And they sure shouldn't be failing right after a rebuild...

Ronnie, from what I see in Alldata, it looks like it's not in the actual cooler line. It just slides into the cooler, above the lines and is held with a snap ring? Is this correct?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back