UNKNOWN NOISE...NEED HELP!!

tone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I was driving on the freeway and my truck started to make a whining noise, very high pitch. The best way to describe it is if you were in reverse at a high RPM, the whine that you would hear. I was in 5th gear at around 3500 RPM, and it would get louder when I put my foot in it. I stopped the truck, turned it off, waited, and drove home a 1/2 hr. never hearing it again. I'm worried because this was a real distinct sound. Truck is an 05 with 23,000 on it. Anyone ever heard a whine like this or does anyone have any idea what the hell this could be.:dontknow: I would appreciate the imput.

tone said:
I'm not familiar with vaccum leaks. What is it and how do I find out.
Get a can of t-body cleaner and spray over all of your vacuum hoses. Do it when the motor is hot. If the motor revs up alittle when you spray over a hose it means its leaking. if you do have a vacuum leak it can cause a high pitched whine.

GADodgetech said:
Get a can of t-body cleaner and spray over all of your vacuum hoses. Do it when the motor is hot. If the motor revs up alittle when you spray over a hose it means its leaking. if you do have a vacuum leak it can cause a high pitched whine.
Will do....any other possibilities:dontknow:

If all gauges were ok and it shifted fine with no clutch issues, I would guess a belt or pulley tensioner. Did it do it in all gears? Did it vary in pitch with rpm's or was it a steady same pitch whine? Did it stop when you pulled over at idle? What kind of oil filter is on it?

tone said:
Will do....any other possibilities:dontknow:
the noise you described sounded like a release bearing for the clutch, but I'd have to hear it to tell you for sure. There's a million things it could be bud.

oil pump by pass valve if the noise came from the right front corner

:dontknow: :rock: :dontknow: :rock: :dontknow: :rock:

500snakz said:
If all gauges were ok and it shifted fine with no clutch issues, I would guess a belt or pulley tensioner. Did it do it in all gears? Did it vary in pitch with rpm's or was it a steady same pitch whine? Did it stop when you pulled over at idle? What kind of oil filter is on it?
Belts are fine, did it in all gears, did not vary in pitch only got louder as I accelerated, stopped when pulled over at idle, and using Mopar oil filter 090.

tone said:
Could'nt pin point the noise that well....the whole engine bay was noisey.

ya know the born-on-date of her?????

tone take a look at the truck tommorrow, check each and every fluid, ps, trans, axle , so on.
check them all for being low, and smell.

if the pitch changed with rpms then it was something rotating, so follow that.

alternator, power steering, something in the trans, or rear axle, look over those areas.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back