What kind of tires?

YellowFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought some bad ass chromed stock wheels from Steve Austin (great service BTW) and have a chance to put some better rubber on (tires Mikey, tires). What kind of tires besides the Pirelli's do some of you have and why do you like them?

Thanks,
Jeff

I still got the stck rubbers on both mine Yellow:D

Have seen alot of different ones, maybe somene will give us some ideas:D

You can check out TireRack.com. Type in the tire size your interested in and it gives all kinds of info and reviews. They are also a VTCoA vendor.

We are very limited on tire availability if you want to stay with the "W" rated tires.

Here are the speed ratings from the Tire Rack site.

Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:

M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.

I got 26K out of my Pirellis,wanted a little more,so I went with the 420 Nittos !!!I've got 16k on them already,and they're wearing nicely so far !!!Can't get too crazy in the performance area,can't afford another ticket right now !!!:D

6pakattack said:
I got 26K out of my Pirellis,wanted a little more,so I went with the 420 Nittos !!!I've got 16k on them already,and they're wearing nicely so far !!!Can't get too crazy in the performance area,can't afford another ticket right now !!!:D

I'm just short of 26k on my truck right now. I'm guessing I will get 30k out of them.

BFG KDW2's are probably the best tire. Tire Rack has some in our size.

Thanks guys. I've looked at them all. I like the Nitto's a lot but the speed rating isn't there, not that I run it that fast all the time, but I do occasionally so I want the speed rating just in case. I don't think I can beat the Pirelli's, especially since they are $182.00 each on TireRack right now.

Jeff

05BLACKVIPER said:
THE OEM REPLACEMENTS ARE 224.00 EA.THE HIGHEST ONES IN THAT LIST.
Down at the botton they are on specail for 182.00 good deal if you need some.

Jeff

I have researched this a bit......

There are 2 different prices on our OEM (Pirelli) tires......

The lower one is a previous (discontinued) model....... Last year's I guess....

The higher priced one is (of course) the current production model......

There's about a $40 difference in the prices.......

SD

i have nitto 420s on my truck and love them. i've had them @ 130mph and the ride was very smooth.
IMG_0378-1.jpg

kylightning73 said:
i have nitto 420s on my truck and love them. i've had them @ 130mph and the ride was very smooth.
IMG_0378-1.jpg
I might have missed this somewhere but what is the speed rating on these Nitto 420's?:dontknow:

Silverback said:
A couple people have tried them and really didn't have anything good to say about them.
I have never heard nothing but great things about them. They are one of the best performing tires on the market. People buy different tires for different things. Cheap and longevity are not its strongest points, but wet and dry traction are.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back