CODE

Prof said:
Woooha...this is an '06...get to a trusted dealer...(may be a oxymoron) if it is running lean (eyes burning plus code) nothing to fool with since the Viper Tech will find it immediately...right after a call to Boomer to see about the possibility of a pcm issue.

Good advise.:rock:

ok guys... went under the truck and this is what i found...

1st... the conector between headers and midpipes was very loose... and is missing one bolt:dontknow: ... maybe that explain the white smoke i saw under the hood:dontknow:

2nd... a hole in the magnaflow muffler... can anybody explain me how can this happen... does magnaflows comes w/ warranty:dontknow:

don't want to disconect the pcm yet... just want to know what you guys think first....

should i get another magnaflow first???
will the hole in the magnaflow muffler interfer w/ the pcm???
or can i just put the sims on take it to the shop reset the computer tight the passenger midpipe and drive it like that until i get another magnaflow muffler...

what you guys think???

pics of the muffler... cell phone pics sorry

Attachments

• 070323_155323.jpg
    070323_155323.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 74
  • 070323_155338.jpg
    070323_155338.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 71
None of the things you have mentioned would cause the engine to run lean...you have a mixture issue...the loose/missing bolt and the hole in the muffler will not cause the code or the fumes you smelled. Get to a shop...better yet, load it on a flat bed and take it to a shop.

DJ, here's your probelm:

YOU HAVE RUN TOO LONG WITHOUT THE SIMS, AND THEREFORE HAVE BAD 02 SENSORS; WHICH IS CAUSING YOUR COMPUTER TO DO ALL KINDS OF CRAZY THINGS WITH YOUR FUEL MIXTURE. REPLACE THE SENSORS, AND INSERT THE SIMS AND I'LL BET THE HOUSE YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!:D

Not real sure how you got the hole in the muffler.

But if by chance that is not the problem...you could detonate the engine...small chance but it could be a $19,000 bet...lean means Boom, sooner or later...

Outnumbered is right. If you are burning eyes AND getting a lean code, it has to be a "poisoned" O2 sensor (or two). BTW - It is only the front O2 sensors that affect mixture. The rears only turn the light on if the front cats are removed (it's a little more detailed than that, but you get the idea).

outnumbered said:
DJ, here's your probelm:

YOU HAVE RUN TOO LONG WITHOUT THE SIMS, AND THEREFORE HAVE BAD 02 SENSORS; WHICH IS CAUSING YOUR COMPUTER TO DO ALL KINDS OF CRAZY THINGS WITH YOUR FUEL MIXTURE. REPLACE THE SENSORS, AND INSERT THE SIMS AND I'LL BET THE HOUSE YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!:D

Not real sure how you got the hole in the muffler.
Good thought but that's not the problem. The front O2's are for the PCM to adjust the A/F with, you NEVER want to use sims in the front locations. The rear O2's are for only monitoring the efficiency of the cats. The rears have absolutely no effect on the A/F of the engine.

BTW, I never ran sims when I removed the cats on my 04.

DJCHEROKEE said:
a hole in the magnaflow muffler... can anybody explain me how can this happen... does magnaflows comes w/ warranty:dontknow:

what you guys think???

pics of the muffler... cell phone pics sorry
Tan mucho frijoles amigo! Un pavo grande!

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP... I REALY APRECIATE..... YOU GUYS :rock:
DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT WILL BE THE PRICE OF THE NEW FRONT SENSORS??

ok guys...
i disconect the battery... (positive) :D
and install a new o2 sensor and also install the sims.....
crank it up few seconds later cel came on... but no code...
drived around the block... check code and is still giving me the same code..po174
but the engine runs fine... and the strong smeell is gone....

do i have to take it to a shop or to auto zone to get the pcm reset... and that will be fix... or is there still somthing wrong w/ it????

any ideas????

you guys think that it maybe because the hole in the magnaflow muffler???

CHECKED THE TRUCK THIS MORNING AND IT SEEMS THAT IS RUNNING FINE BUT THE CODE IS STILL THERE. PO174

You might want to take it to autozone and have them erase the code and go from there. A code wont go away for awhile (if the error doesnt exist anymore) until the PCM experiences so many start ups / hours driven.

Might have fouled a plug during this ordeal...would check them next.

PCM HAS BEEN RESET THIS MORNING.... :rock:
SO... LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPEN...

THANKS CHARLES....:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back