SL vs SM rated Mobil1 oil....Should we change?

I have to agree. I have one more load of 0-40 then going to 10 40 or 20 -50.

Climate makes such a difference. But I will stick with Mobil1.

Thanks for updating this.

RedSrt007 said:
ROTFL :rock:

Motor Oil - Mobil 1

-Red
Thanks Red. Are you at all concerned with the loss of the SL rating ? Is that even true? Does it matter? Some individuals even quoted Mobil tacitly agreeing that, Mobil's oil for diesel motors is a better quality, than the de-rated, SM only oil. Remember all this was started by PORSCHE owners! :D

joemags54 said:
Thanks Red. Are you at all concerned with the loss of the SL rating ? Is that even true? Does it matter? Some individuals even quoted Mobil tacitly agreeing that, Mobil's oil for diesel motors is a better quality, than the de-rated, SM only oil. Remember all this was started by PORSCHE owners! :D

I believe the 5w30 (winter) and 20w50 (summer) do not have that issue....if i'm not mistaken.

I would go with those, that is what I have used lately.

Well, I use Amsoil 5W40 for European Cars with Turbocharged motors. I put in 7 Quarts of Amsoil and two quarts of Lucas Syntethic Oil Stablilizer.

I push my truck with long trips, track time and stop and go traffic. 10,000 miles since November on the Supercharger install and the truck is still running strong.

My only complain is that by the 1000 miles mark my oil start's to get pretty dirty/burnt. But my truck runs pretty rich, so I could have a higher carbon build up....

Last edited:
jrgnd said:
Well, I use Amsoil 5W40 for European Cars with Turbocharged vehicles. I put in 7 Quarts of Amsoil and two quarts of Lucas Syntethic Oil Stablilizer.

I push my truck with long trips, track time and stop and go traffic. 10,000 miles since November on the Supercharger install and the truck is still running strong.

My only complain is that by the 1000 miles mark my oil start's to get pretty dirty/burnt. But my truck runs pretty rich, so I could have a higher carbon build up....
Don't know much about Amsoil. What are their ratings? SL/SM? Either or?:dontknow: Thanks for the info.

I personally am runnning this,, basically because I have no choice, i have no local dealer for the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil. This is an Euro (Porsche Approved) oil and it carries an SL rating. :)

Pennzoil Platinum™ Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 Euro
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/platinum.html

Remember that i live in Canada and even in Summer we have cold days, it gets to around 8-10 C - 46-50 F at night during Summer.

Last edited:
jrgnd said:
Well, I use Amsoil 5W40 for European Cars with Turbocharged vehicles. I put in 7 Quarts of Amsoil and two quarts of Lucas Syntethic Oil Stablilizer.

Is this the stuff? It's the only 5W-40 that i could find on their site.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

If so it's only an SM rated product. Need to look for the API SL Certification and especially a (Porsche Approved) on the bottle.

It also recommend this "Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils."

Deibs said:
Is this the stuff? It's the only 5W-40 that i could find on their site.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

If so it's only an SM rated product. Need to look for the API SL Certification and especially a (Porsche Approved) on the bottle.

It also recommend this "Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils."

I agree...I do not belive in oil additives. Here is a little article about lucas:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

jrgnd said:
Well, I use Amsoil 5W40 for European Cars with Turbocharged motors. I put in 7 Quarts of Amsoil and two quarts of Lucas Syntethic Oil Stablilizer.

Do you think what Red presented in his link on Lucas additives has anything to do with your oil getting dirty or burnt?:dontknow:

joemags54 said:
Do you think what Red presented in his link on Lucas additives has anything to do with your oil getting dirty or burnt?:dontknow:
Well if anything it would cause it to be less dirty by the look of it. It creates "air pockets" in the oil and causes it to improperly lubricate engine/tranny/rear end.

I would venture to guess it's the style of oil, most Diesel oils are meant to soil quicker then gas as they aren't meant to be run as long. That's considering hours vs hours (gas/diesel).

Last edited:
I would stick to your favorite brand as long as you can still get it with an API SL rating. SM is NOT better for your engine, it is better for emissions. Since OEM cats are required by law to be warrantied to 120,000 miles, the auto manufactures made a recommendation for the latest API spec (SM) to reduce the harmful emissions for catalytic converters. Sulfur and zinc-phosphorus, which are both lubricating and anti-wear additives have been significantly reduced to improve catalytic converter life.

The price for reducing emissions most often results in lower horsepower ratings, poor mileage, and reduced engine longevity. I will stick with my Royal Purple whom I have confirmed will be producing API SL oils until they can come up with an additive to replace what is lost by going to the SM rating.

If we could shove a catalytic converter in the pie hole of the EPA I think we could reduce emissions by another 50%.

-Muzzy

Just wanted to throw this in there...

I have been finding the Mobil 1 with it saying For European Cars. It is still 0-04w and has the SL rating. Is this any different than the ones that say it is for the viper on the back?

TREKER said:
Just wanted to throw this in there...

I have been finding the Mobil 1 with it saying For European Cars. It is still 0-04w and has the SL rating. Is this any different than the ones that say it is for the viper on the back?

The API and SAE ratings are not limited to the US. They are global organizations (even though the American Petroleum Institute is US based, they work with ISO and other global entities for their recommendations). The European oil does not have to comply with the new US EPA emissions standards. I am guessing Mobil is still making 0w40 in the API SL spec and labeling it for European use. I would use that if you can get it. It would not surprise me if foreign auto makers refuse to use or recommend SM spec oil.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
The API and SAE ratings are not limited to the US. They are global organizations (even though the American Petroleum Institute is US based, they work with ISO and other global entities for their recommendations). The European oil does not have to comply with the new US EPA emissions standards. I am guessing Mobil is still making 0w40 in the API SL spec and labeling it for European use. I would use that if you can get it. It would not surprise me if foreign auto makers refuse to use or recommend SM spec oil.

-Muzzy

Thanks bro.... I have not seen the US stuff in a while. Last two oil changes have the Euro Mobil1 formula. As long as it has the SL rating I guess I am fine. Royal purple is my alternative. You using 10w-40? or the racing oil?

TREKER said:
Thanks bro.... I have not seen the US stuff in a while. Last two oil changes have the Euro Mobil1 formula. As long as it has the SL rating I guess I am fine. Royal purple is my alternative. You using 10w-40? or the racing oil?

I am using 10w30 RP. My service manual, owners manual, and oil fill cap say 10w30. Unless someone can provide me a reason to switch to 5w40 (closest Royal Purple comes), I am going to stick with 10w30. Unless there has been a bearing clearance change between 04 and 05 to warrant the heavier viscosity recommendation, I question why the change was made. No one has yet been able to provide me with an answer. I spoke at length with an RP engineer about it and he concluded staying 10w30 would be best since there are not TSB's recommended the change for 04'. Plus I also buy it 5 gallons at a time since I use it in the SRT-4 too. I am still researching though.

-Muzzy

Yeah, 04 was 10-30. forgot... 05 and 06 call for the 0-40w. 0w oil to me sounds crazy though. I am sticking with it since it was the factory recco. I like what I have seen with the RP though. I also see (off topic) that you have the EBE green brake pads. Dust??? Squealing?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back