SL vs SM rated Mobil1 oil....Should we change?

Muzzy said:
I am using 10w30 RP. My service manual, owners manual, and oil fill cap say 10w30. Unless someone can provide me a reason to switch to 5w40 (closest Royal Purple comes), I am going to stick with 10w30. Unless there has been a bearing clearance change between 04 and 05 to warrant the heavier viscosity recommendation, I question why the change was made. No one has yet been able to provide me with an answer. I spoke at length with an RP engineer about it and he concluded staying 10w30 would be best since there are not TSB's recommended the change for 04'. Plus I also buy it 5 gallons at a time since I use it in the SRT-4 too. I am still researching though.

-Muzzy
GREAT INFO Muzzy! Based on what Patrick has said, I could switch to 10w-40w for my '05 from 0w-40w, year round. I think the SL rating is the important factor here. Your thoughts?

TREKER said:
Yeah, 04 was 10-30. forgot... 05 and 06 call for the 0-40w. 0w oil to me sounds crazy though. I am sticking with it since it was the factory recco. I like what I have seen with the RP though. I also see (off topic) that you have the EBE green brake pads. Dust??? Squealing?

I love my EBC pads. About 75% less dust than stock. My wheels would be dark gray with the stock pads after 100 miles. You hardly notice the dust with the EBC's unless they get wet. They do squeal now and then, but it is rare. The stock ones did too, so I guess that came out about the same. The EBC's seem to grab a little better than the stock ones and don't fade as much when they get warmed up. I haven't owned any other performance pads, so I can't say whether there aren't better ones available. I have heard the Hawk's are good.

-Muzzy

joemags54 said:
GREAT INFO Muzzy! Based on what Patrick has said, I could switch to 10w-40w for my '05 from 0w-40w, year round. I think the SL rating is the important factor here. Your thoughts?

The 0 or 10 in the multi-viscosity rating is just the cold flow characteristic. If you live somewhere where the temps don't often go below freezing or you don't drive it in the winter, the 10w40 will work fine. If you do drive it in the winter and it does go below freezing, I would switch back during that season. Mine gets parked in a heated garage for the winter, so I don't ever need to switch to a 5w30.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
The 0 or 10 in the multi-viscosity rating is just the cold flow characteristic. If you live somewhere where the temps don't often go below freezing or you don't drive it in the winter, the 10w40 will work fine. If you do drive it in the winter and it does go below freezing, I would switch back during that season. Mine gets parked in a heated garage for the winter, so I don't ever need to switch to a 5w30.

-Muzzy
My garage isn't heated but it rarely goes below 50. My truck is usually parked in the winter, unless the roads are reasonably clean. Thanks again for the post.:)

Just to let you guys know, i ran 10W-40 all winter here in Alberta, Canada. So i think you'll be more then fine to run it. ;) Oh and definatly run SL, it quieted my "ticking" injector noise!

Oil is a pita

Tried to find 0w40 for my 06 around Danbury and it is insanely expensive. Does it really matter if I move to 5w30 or 10w30 Mobil 1?

seth said:
Tried to find 0w40 for my 06 around Danbury and it is insanely expensive. Does it really matter if I move to 5w30 or 10w30 Mobil 1?

Should be around $7 bucks a quart. :)

I bought the 5W40 SL rated Turbo Diesel Truck Mobil1 at Auto Zone today for $6.19/qt. The 0W40 for European cars was same price.The SM rated oil was nearly 7$ qt.

RedSrt007 said:
I agree...I do not belive in oil additives. Here is a little article about lucas:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Two things. First, If the Lucas Oil Stabilizer properly used caused all that foam, I would have foam coming out when I do oil changes(I do it when the motor is hot).

Second, the max mixture for motor oil is 30%(For racing engines). I don't believe his setup holds even half a quart. So the mixture at the highest should be 2.4 ounces(Half a quart rate). I don't think he measure the mixture.

I also notice a couple of Schaeffers Drums in the background. The Lucas Additive was never added to the Schaeffers product. Seems to me it's more of a promo exercise....:D

Last edited:
HOT RAM said:
I bought the 5W40 SL rated Turbo Diesel Truck Mobil1 at Auto Zone today for $6.19/qt. The 0W40 for European cars was same price.The SM rated oil was nearly 7$ qt.

I bought it for $5.45...

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back