SL vs SM rated Mobil1 oil....Should we change?

vvv90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate oil debates because they get so old....However, a buddy of mine has found that Mobil1 has changed their forumla recently which is different than what was recommended to us initially.

Here is an interesting read. It's from the SRT 6.1 forums but since we all run the same oil (0w40) it may be appropriate for our V10's.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/sr...hanging-my-oil-but-gasp-not-mobil-1-0w40.html

Lemme know what you guys think.

I'm a big fan of the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

in other words, there is no reason to change anything unless something is wrong. I would be leary of changing oils based on someone guessing it might work better. I'll let them test it for a couple of years.

I always use mobil 1 in my truck, and in my race car (500+fwhp 1.8 liter) I use amsoil. but I drive that car only a couple miles a year.

AWDisuzu said:
I'm a big fan of the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

in other words, there is no reason to change anything unless something is wrong. I would be leary of changing oils based on someone guessing it might work better. I'll let them test it for a couple of years.

I always use mobil 1 in my truck, and in my race car (500+fwhp 1.8 liter) I use amsoil. but I drive that car only a couple miles a year.

I agree with your philosophy whole heartedly. Please understand though that the person that started that thread also shares our philosophy. However, Mobil1 has been changed. It no longer is the same forumla that has been previously recommended for our vehicles. If it was exactly the same I'd say NEVER switch, but this has me really thinking about jumping to a different oil and I NEVER thought I'd say that.

Please read that whole thread. When I started reading the first few posts I certainly was not convinced but they bring up some very interesting facts.

That's why I'm happy that there are so many other people willing to test these oils so I don't have to!

and the fact that mobil 1 changed the formula doesn't really matter to me. It only means they made it better. Otherwise, what's the point of change?

Great post vvv90..........i'm going to check my stockpile of Mobil1 to see the rating.

AWDisuzu said:
That's why I'm happy that there are so many other people willing to test these oils so I don't have to!

and the fact that mobil 1 changed the formula doesn't really matter to me. It only means they made it better. Otherwise, what's the point of change?

*sigh*

Again, please read the whole thread. It is NOT better otherwise I wouldn't have brought this up. Like I said, I normally hate oil debates.

AWDisuzu said:

To save money on production cost and live off their rep?
AKA Profit margin it is a business.

AWDisuzu said:

The EPA is now limiting the detergents in oil, mobile one had to reduce there additives by 50%, there by losing the "SL' Classifation...

vvv90 said:
I hate oil debates because they get so old....However, a buddy of mine has found that Mobil1 has changed their forumla recently which is different than what was recommended to us initially.

Here is an interesting read. It's from the SRT 6.1 forums but since we all run the same oil (0w40) it may be appropriate for our V10's.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt8-general-discussion/37716-changing-my-oil-but-gasp-not-mobil-1-0w40.html

Lemme know what you guys think.

Hmm, I think i'm going to try it and run the "Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40" on my next oil change. After checking my oil I have it's all API SM...

I'll be doing it as soon as Wednesday, so i'll let you know if I see any change.

Good information and good link to more good information.

I personally have run Mobile 1 15-50W for a long time. I like the cushion that it provides. In our SoCal climate in SD we don't really need winter or summer oils.

I wanted to update this thread, as I believe this to be an important topic. Even if this forum has "beat to death" the oil subject, this latest info related to a formula and/or rating change, is important enough to sort through once again.(there were only 9 posts). Please take the time to glance over the link. There is info in the link worth working through. I checked my current supply of Mobil 1 and all have the SL/SM rating. But I feel strongly enough that, next time, if the only oil available is SM rated only, I would consider a change. To what exactly, I don't know.:dontknow: Can we as a forum, come to a consensus on this topic, to help one and all? Members, please offer your expertise on the subject. Thanks to vvv90 for starting the thread.

Oil is one of those debates that will go on forever. My personal take on it?? It depends on the climate you live in and how the vehicle is modded. My cap says 10w-30, but I run 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter. In the truck I would run a MIN of 10w40 due to the weather and the clearances on the rings. 0w-40 is too thin IMO, but that's just me...I like to run my vehicles fairly decent, so I need an oil that is going to withstand. 04's were rated for 10w40 and they should have stuck with that, but they had issues with the 'universal' weight for colder climate morning starts.

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
Oil is one of those debates that will go on forever. My personal take on it?? It depends on the climate you live in and how the vehicle is modded. My cap says 10w-30, but I run 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter. In the truck I would run a MIN of 10w40 due to the weather and the clearances on the rings. 0w-40 is too thin IMO, but that's just me...I like to run my vehicles fairly decent, so I need an oil that is going to withstand. 04's were rated for 10w40 and they should have stuck with that, but they had issues with the 'universal' weight for colder climate morning starts.

-Red
What about the de-rating? What do you think of the diesel oil recco? My cap says 0-w40. Should I blend a couple of heavier wt qts of oil in the summer, along with the 0-40? My truck is bone stock (drop in and Borla cat back only) I wouldn't say I drive it hard at all.

joemags54 said:
What about the de-rating? What do you think of the diesel oil recco? My cap says 0-w40. Should I blend a couple of heavier wt qts of oil in the summer, along with the 0-40? My truck is bone stock (drop in and Borla cat back only) I wouldn't say I drive it hard at all.
Im not sure what your temp is like where you live, but I would run 10w30 or even a 5w30 in the 'winter'...no thinner, and run 10w40 (min) or 20w50 in the summer or "hot" weather (or track / autocross conditions)

Just MY humble opinion.. :)

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
Im not sure what your temp is like where you live, but I would run 10w30 or even a 5w30 in the 'winter'...no thinner, and run 10w40 (min) or 20w50 in the summer or "hot" weather (or track / autocross conditions)

Just MY humble opinion.. :)

-Red
My truck is garaged. Even in the winter my start up temp worst case, is probably 50 deg. Summers on Long Island. Hazy Hot Humid. Mostly 80's with maybe a week or two of extremes in the mid to high 90's. I favor the heavier oils. I just don't want to damage anything.

50 degree startup's do not require 0w, although it helps get pumped quicker, I would run a good mid-viscosity weight like a 10/40, and a 20w50 in the 80's/90's. (summer)

RedSrt007 said:
50 degree startup's do not require 0w, although it helps get pumped quicker, I would run a good mid-viscosity weight like a 10/40, and a 20w50 in the 80's/90's. (summer)
Now the 64,000 dollar question..............Which brand?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back