Noise under the hood?!?!?

SPACEMONKEY1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so sometimes when I start the truck, not every time, it makes this noise that almost sounds like a damn airplane starting up. It's like a low hum and then builds up and sounds like a whistle sort of. Now tomorrow morning when I start it up I'm gonna try and find where it's coming from, but I think it's coming from the K&N. Just wanted to post this to see if anyone else has experienced this sound?

If your talking about a K&N Oile filter.....

Yep, that would be it

Done an oil change lately? That would be my guess too. Oil filter.

Have a aftermarket tune and a stock thermastat.....could be the fan coming on?????

na thats an old issue that had been pinned down to the oil filter, way back from the old site....... definitly an oil filter.

I just changed the oil yesterday, mobile 1 10W-30 full synthetic and mobile 1 oil filter as well. I wonder if it's the fan? I'll find out in the morning or shit I think I might go down there later and check it out and see if it will do it. Also I wanted to ask another question. The tube coming off of the K&N going into the vavle cover is towards the back of my engine, unlike most I've seen which are at the front?? I belive it's fine, but just wondering if anyone else's is like this. In about an hour I'm gonna go down there and check the sound out and post what I find.

Here's a pic of a normal one:
breatherfilter.jpg

Now here's where mine is, visual demonstration, lol. The blue line is the tube and it goes underneath my mainfold to the valve.:
breatherfilterq.jpg

04s had the vent on the back of the valve covers............the Mobile 1 oil filter may be the cause of your noise.....best to use only Mopar oil filters..white with VIPER on them..

Cool. Is the dealership the only place to get the OEM oil filters? Thanks for the help guys. I was freakin out, lol, I was like what the hell is about to explode?

SPACEMONKEY1 said:
Cool. Is the dealership the only place to get the OEM oil filters? Thanks for the help guys. I was freakin out, lol, I was like what the hell is about to explode?

Stinker may be able to help..

the KN oil filters can make a whine sound, now too what you may be hearing is the solonoid in the intake cycling;) your new K@N breather filter is right next to it, so when it cycles it will suck in more air thru that filter , and that may be jsut what you are hearing.

next time you crank it, have a rag rapped around it, I bet the noise goes bye bye:D

Stinker said:
honestly i allways got mine at wal mart:D bout $5:D

Which oil filter should I get? This is the first time I changed the oil on it and I just figured I'd get the mobile 1 oil filter. Which one you use Stinker? Sorry for these simple ass questions guys, just didn't know the oil filter would make my truck sound like it's about to hit the runway and take off.:confused:

Stinker said:
the KN oil filters can make a whine sound, now too what you may be hearing is the solonoid in the intake cycling;) your new K@N breather filter is right next to it, so when it cycles it will suck in more air thru that filter , and that may be jsut what you are hearing.

next time you crank it, have a rag rapped around it, I bet the noise goes bye bye:D

See I think that's what it is. I was thinking that but haven't check it out. I'll let you know in a few. Again I appreciate the answers from yall:rock:

'04???

i'm goin to suggest that if the noise shows up to try & put your hand on the engine oil cooler lines or cooler itself & see if they are "vibrating". sounds like it might be the oil pump by-pass valve.
check the sticky thread in the Exotic Engine, vendors, section.
the white Viper oil filter part number is 05037836AA

SPACEMONKEY1 said:
I just changed the oil yesterday, mobile 1 10W-30 full synthetic and mobile 1 oil filter as well. I wonder if it's the fan? I'll find out in the morning or shit I think I might go down there later and check it out and see if it will do it. Also I wanted to ask another question. The tube coming off of the K&N going into the vavle cover is towards the back of my engine, unlike most I've seen which are at the front?? I belive it's fine, but just wondering if anyone else's is like this. In about an hour I'm gonna go down there and check the sound out and post what I find.

Here's a pic of a normal one:
breatherfilter.jpg

Now here's where mine is, visual demonstration, lol. The blue line is the tube and it goes underneath my mainfold to the valve.:
breatherfilterq.jpg

Hey thats my truck you talking about.:hmpf: :argh: :motz: :alberteinstein: :hmmmm2: :damnmate: :viking: :stickyman: :D :D :D :D

SrtBrad said:
Hey thats my truck you talking about.:hmpf: :argh: :motz: :alberteinstein: :hmmmm2: :damnmate: :viking: :stickyman: :D :D :D :D

and a dam nice truck it is:rock: :rock: :rock:

SrtBrad said:

I needed a quick pic :D It looks nice with a blue strip huh :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back