magnaflow too ricey? add spintech!

AWDisuzu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the magnaflow exhaust is nice looking, but the sound is terrible. It sounds like 2 civics with fart can mufflers racing each other.

I had some 3" spintech mufflers added to the exhaust and it's got a nice deep tone now, no RICE, and it's quieter than stock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Quieter than stock ? That would be about as loud as a Prius :eek: :D

JK ;)

Everyone likes different exhuast notes...would be interested in hearing the difference.

Pretty happy with my exhaust, get compliments all the time and the occasional "Holy Shit!" :D

Although its the sum of parts and not just the Magnaflow, so not apples to apples.

We should create a sticky where everyone can submit sound bites for each type of exhaust set up:idea:

Ditto, stop smokin the chit bro your losin ya damn mind!!!
mmmmtorque said:
Quieter than stock ? That would be about as loud as a Prius :eek: :D

JK ;)

Everyone likes different exhuast notes...would be interested in hearing the difference.

Pretty happy with my exhaust, get compliments all the time and the occasional "Holy Shit!" :D

Although its the sum of parts and not just the Magnaflow, so not apples to apples.

We should create a sticky where everyone can submit sound bites for each type of exhaust set up:idea:

well, i just got pulled over last week for the exhaust being too loud. and I was just barely cruising along. and if you live in cali, yoju know that any modification to the exhaust is illegal here. even changing the mufflers. it's a fix it ticket of course but yea it was really friggin loud.

AWDisuzu said:
well, i just got pulled over last week for the exhaust being too loud. and I was just barely cruising along. and if you live in cali, yoju know that any modification to the exhaust is illegal here. even changing the mufflers. it's a fix it ticket of course but yea it was really friggin loud.

Sorry to hear that :( Glad I dont live there anymore...

Post up some sound clips if you can some time.

I added two magnaflow flow thru resonators in front of the magnaflow muffler and it created a wonderful deep tone...still a little loud between 2300 and 3300 rpm, but before and after, very nice.

Of note, it also cost me about 5 or 6% in rwhp!!!!

This may sound crazy, but my first experiment was with mopar long tube headers, cat delete, and oem muffler...terrible sound, but excellent rwhp. When I made the switch to the magnaflow w/resonators it fixed the sound (to my personal taste) but reduced the rwhp. Someone else needs to try this to verify the results...if you do, I will share my dyno results so we can have some verified evidence...my results could be an aberration.

Wow I'm surprised they actually ticketed you for the noise. Was it in a residential area or general city area? My flowmaster is a little loud but I see no difference to the other thousands of cars who have aftermarket mufflers installed as well. Sucks, but congrats on new parts :D

I have Boomer's 3" catless mid pipes with the Magnaflow cat-back, while it is a little loud I really like it.

Bill.

Blakewilder said:
Or not....just talked to Jack and he says Im full of it.....Hey Mike, where did u get the Paxton backpressure theory?

FROM PAXTON..................................

Well my truck is way quieter than any of my bikes and I haven't had a ticket in years. But, I do stay away from all those yuppie coastal towns like newport, cause they will write the hell out of tickets (pipes, missing smog, helmet). I don't think I'm missing anything though, if they don't want my $$$$ I will spend it somewhere that I am welcome.

OCBob said:
Well my truck is way quieter than any of my bikes and I haven't had a ticket in years. But, I do stay away from all those yuppie coastal towns like newport, cause they will write the hell out of tickets (pipes, missing smog, helmet). I don't think I'm missing anything though, if they don't want my $$$$ I will spend it somewhere that I am welcome.

That's what's good about living in the IE....police are more worried about the meth labs than our exhaust:D

I loved the sound of the magnaflow with bellangers long tubes....not ricey to me:rock: Nowwhat's truck would sound awesome with long tubes but we all know he won't get any because of his made up back pressuire theory:D

I love the belanger/magnaflow combo too, but I am growing weary of the deceleration/backfire/gurgle that I get. Anyone have suggestions on that? I have held off making any change as I don't want to lose rwhp if possible. I thought about adding a magnaflow x-pipe right before the muffler? I know the magnaflow has one inside, but I need to do something to reduce that gurgle,pop,pow! Sometimes it really sounds like a backfire...not good.

VPRPWR said:
That's what's good about living in the IE....police are more worried about the meth labs than our exhaust:D

As they should be!

A loud exhaust never broke into a home and tried to steal their shit or threaten a family!!!

patrick

Last edited:
Backpressure and tuning.

There are many theories on tuning. My take on it is that a lot of tuners use back pressure to make tuning at low rpm/speeds easier. It is harder to get good bottom end response without back pressure. But without back pressure you can get increased top end performance.

Look at all your blown A/Gas supercharged engines. They do not even use a collector, the pipes are equal length and the exhaust is free to escape unrestricted. (My Chevelle uses 2 1/8" ID tubing and I do have collector mufflers. But this is only for noise control. I need a place to put a wideband O2 sensor bung and an evacuation pipe. It is nostalgia style and I don't want to run an external vacuum pump due to appearance.)

Admitedly a blown motor probably does not have a low end HP issue as it does not spend much time at the low end. It is harder to tune for bottom end without back pressure but the top end is better

Back