• Cooper Zeon XST - VR Rated - treadwear 420 - around $200

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • General Grabber UHP - VR Rated - treadwear 320 - around $170

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

CarDude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I have seen a few threads about which tires are the best...and I am still not impressed. Please answer the poll and reasons why you like a tire and reasons why the others stink...I have some general price info, so I am sure you have better and worse pricing. I just added it as a general comparison.

The last three tires are V rated

Speed ratings
Z- 149mph and over
V- Up to 149mph, Lower Speed Rating, possibly a softer Sidewall

Treadwear
The higher the number the longer the tire should last

I left out traction and temperature

"Best" is such an open-ended term.Best in handling ? Or best in traction for drag racing ? Best in tread life ? Best in looks ? Or best as in price/value ?

My "favorite " right now is the General Grabber UHP.Rides good,good traction,great price,looks good,and handles well.

As far as speed ratings go,I think the higher speed ratings are mostly irrelevant.I think they have more to do with SUSTAINED high speeds,NOT the occasional high speed short run.But,I could be wrong.The Pirelli's that came on the truck = suck !

Last edited:
my favorite is the cooper zeon's...great wear, great traction, handles good even in the rain, which the pirelli's have a problem with, but like HOT RAM said...its just my opinion.

Thanks guys, that is exactly why I need your inputs as well. If this truck handled extremely well, that would be a huge factor...it does OK. I really don't think most are looking for the longest lasting tire...that would mean the least traction. Most want it all....great tread wear, great traction, best looks, rides like a marsh mellow while cruising but hugs the road while cornering (this combo is not possible), high speed rating, etc...

But we all know it is a give and take...which do you think are "best".

Got my Continental CrossContact UHP's about 2 months ago, and i must say they are a great tire, handles great, and grips real good. I am also suprised how well they are in the rain. I also had a nail in one, and with these tires through Continental you get a one year replacement road hazzard. I sent the trie back to tire rack, and they sent me a new one, all I had to do was pay for shipping. :rock:

CarDude said:
Thanks guys, that is exactly why I need your inputs as well. If this truck handled extremely well, that would be a huge factor...it does OK. I really don't think most are looking for the longest lasting tire...that would mean the least traction. Most want it all....great tread wear, great traction, best looks, rides like a marsh mellow while cruising but hugs the road while cornering (this combo is not possible), high speed rating, etc...

But we all know it is a give and take...which do you think are "best".

General Grabber UHP.It does GREAT in the rain !!!

Rickspeed said:
Got my Continental CrossContact UHP's about 2 months ago, and i must say they are a great tire, handles great, and grips real good. I am also suprised how well they are in the rain. I also had a nail in one, and with these tires through Continental you get a one year replacement road hazzard. I sent the trie back to tire rack, and they sent me a new one, all I had to do was pay for shipping. :rock:
I'M really thinking hard about this tire. i like the tread design and the look. they also use this tire on the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. If its good enough for a Porsche then its good enough for anything. IMO

great idea!..thanks for all the research..made it a STICKY..:rock:

My .02

These are the only 3 I would put on my truck and in this order if price is no issue
1. Yokohama Advan ST
2. BFG KDW2
3. OE Pirelli or Conti

chase said:
My .02

These are the only 3 I would put on my truck and in this order if price is no issue
1. Yokohama Advan ST
2. BFG KDW2
3. OE Pirelli or Conti

Good input Chase. I figured the Yoks should be at the top since they hit all the "right" parameters...except the price. I hear the BFGs are great "highway" tires, but not so great for traction??? I think the BFGs are in the tops for their looks.

Attachments

• bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l[1].jpg
    bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l[1].jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 62
yeah if i'm using it for looks the BFG's definatley get my vote!

I would love to get a set of Nitto tires but they just don't make a big enough size.... www.nittotire.com and check out Competition Section!

ive only had pirelli's and the generals but the generals are a far superior tire as far as ride and being able to get them to balance

The BFG KDW2, or otherwise known as the KDWNT (nt=new tread), stands for key features Dry and Wet...thus the DW in the name. Great on dry and wet roads and really cool looking...but that lends it self to a bit of road noise. The Yokohama is just as good in wet and dry but is a bit pricey...but they are quieter and almost as cool looking. I think the Pirelli's are fine but it seems as tho a bunch of guys do not like them. They are a bit "darty" but that is the only bad thing about those tires IMO. The Conti's are quite nice...quiet and crisp. I drove them on a Cayenne and they handeled well...did not get to try them in the wet. I will be getting the BFG's for my truck in the Spring....hope that helps.

Last edited:
Im using the Khumo's on the GTS and they HOOK! I think Kevin (Voodoo) Is picking up a set for the truck... believe he will be the first to have / test them on the Ram!

-Red

i got a set of kuhmo proxy's on the charger and they are a little different than the goodear's that came on them cant put my finger on it but they are still a nice tire.

P.S. -- The treadwear rating is on applicable w/n a particular brand of tire. It is not universal across brands. Also a tire with a 300 would last 3 times as long as a tire with 100.

eddie102870 said:
i got a set of kuhmo proxy's on the charger and they are a little different than the goodear's that came on them cant put my finger on it but they are still a nice tire.

You mean Toyo???

moparracing said:
i've never had a problem with my Pirelli Scorpion's, "Z" rating for under $200 & hook up great on dry pavement........ what's not to like ? :D
I agree with you 100 percent.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I haven't had any problems with my Pirelli's. They do have a tendency to loose some grip on the wet roads, but you'll have that with any tire and 500+ HP.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back