Flow numbers for my Ported Heads

Bone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done today on a Super Flow 600 - Newest, latest and greatest flow machine. I will pick up the graph at the shop Monday or Tuesday and post it. However, wrote some of the numbers down over the phone:
sf600.jpg

Valve Lift ...Intake Stock ...Intake Ported
.500 ...........*257.6 ............285.2
.550 ...........*263.4 ............294.1
.600 ...........*268.2 ............298.0
.650 .................................300.5
.700 .................................299.4

*Stock numbers are from J&M website also on a SF600. http://jmcylinderheads.com/?page_id=12
We will try to flow another set of stockers this week. Nevertheless, numbers should be close to the same values.

Valve Lift ...Exhaust Stock ...Exhaust Ported
.500 ..........*182.4............... 208.9
.550 ..........*184.1 .............. 211.9
.600 ..........*185 ..................214.4
.650 ...................................216.8
.700 ...................................218.5

Now, I had my Roe SC Intake ported/port matched to the heads. Here are both flowed together.

Valve Lift ...Ported Heads with Roe SC Intake attached
.500 ...........282.4 (heads only 285.2)
.550 ...........289.9 (heads only 294.1)

My numbers are with stock valves no machine work!

Now mine (stock valves 2.000"/1.580") vs. J&Ms Stage 3's with aftermarket valves (2.040"/1.600")

Valve Lift ...Mine Intake Ported ...J&M Ported with aftermarket valves
.500 ..........285.2........................ 287.5
.550 ..........294.1........................ 294.0
.600 ..........298.0........................ 300.6
.650 ..........300.5 ........................no # posted
.700 ..........299.4 ........................no # posted

myviperheadsported.jpg

Last edited:
Borden3srt said:
those are pretty good numbers. did you find out what failed?
Failed??? :dontknow::dontknow: Those are super numbers!

Talking about the engine knocking at the Nats or the heads? Engine is on a different thread. My heads are in great shape. Had them cleaned up yesterday and back tomorrow for a 3 angle race job on the valve seats at the machine shop.

Last edited:
Just for comparison sake...can you tell us approximately what JM gets for a set of Stage 3 ported stockers??

I think Greg Goode gets around $3500 and his heads generally flow about 320 cfm.
My PBJs were around $2500 and flowed 316 cfm.
A former member :D here has JM Stage 3s that flowed 310 cfm (not sure how much $$).

How much does JM get for their Stage 3 OEM port job?

ViperTruck2933 said:
Just for comparison sake...can you tell us approximately what JM gets for a set of Stage 3 ported stockers??
The man formally known on here paid 4K as I was told by him.

A former member :D here has JM Stage 3s that flowed 310 cfm (not sure how much $$)
Why didn't J&M post that on their website instead of the above? And at what lift?
http://jmcylinderheads.com/?page_id=12

Last edited:
ViperTruck2933 said:

I think Greg Goode gets around $3500 and his heads generally flow about 320 cfm.
My PBJs were around $2500 and flowed 316 cfm.
We can do stockers for $1700 to include 3 angle racing valve job on seats, if anyone wants them done.

Bone said:
The man formally known on here paid 4K as I was told by him.

Why didn't J&M post that on their website instead of the above? And at what lift?
http://jmcylinderheads.com/?page_id=12
I'm not sure. He told me they flowed 310 cfm. :dontknow:

Bone said:
We can do stockers for $1700 to include 3 angle racing valve job on seats, if anyone wants them done.
That's an outstanding price. :rock:

ViperTruck2933 said:
What would it cost to move up to 2.02s and 1.60 valves?
I would have to talk to the machine shop, but a WAG would be 400 bucks plus the valves.
I thought you already have ported heads?

Last edited:
Flow numbers :burnout:

Ported Heads Intake:
post_portedheads2007.JPG

Ported Heads Exhaust:
post_portedheads_exhaust2007.JPG

Ported Heads with Ported Roe SC Intake (Exhaust side):
post_portedheads_andintake2007.JPG

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb for V-8s, I have heard for 1 CFM increase you get 2 HP. Yes, multiple assumptions and variables, but trying to simplify and show results for ported heads on non-FI Trucks.

Valve Lift ...Intake Stock ...Intake Ported
.500 ...........*257.6 ............285.2
.550 ...........*263.4 ............294.1
.600 ...........*268.2 ............298.0

So about a 30 CFM increase would equate to about 60 HP increase.

MG42pillbox said:
Good job, you gonna dyno it...

I flowed them, as per the post. :dontknow:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Cylinder Head Importance[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Industry Quotes - Thoughts about cylinder heads in general[/FONT]

“One of the most important parts of an engine assembly is the cylinder head. It holds the key to making power. It also offers the opportunity to make more horsepower. Cams, headers, carburetion can only go so far making horsepower without the cylinder head. However, cylinder heads can be expensive, but this may be one place in the engine where spending the extra money may be worth it.â€
“Mopar Engines, Speed Secrets & Racing Modifications For Chrysler V-8 & 6 Cylinder Engines", Chrysler Corporation

“An engine’s horsepower is directly proportional to the amount of air drawn into the cylinder and retained until ignition occurs. By reducing the airflow resistance of the intake and exhaust ports, cylinder filling is improved and engine horsepower is increased directly.â€
“Buick Power Sourceâ€, General Motors Corporation

“Cylinder heads may not rate a high priority as far as the master plan of the universe is concerned. But if your goal is to build a high-output Chevy for either street or track, then they almost certainly move to the number one spot. Anyone contemplating building a small-block Chevy and not appreciating this will get good results only by being lucky enough to choose a functional setâ€
“How To Build & Modify Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Cylinder Headsâ€
by David Vizard

[/FONT]

Bone said:
I flowed them, as per the post. :dontknow:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Cylinder Head Importance[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Industry Quotes - Thoughts about cylinder heads in general[/FONT]

“One of the most important parts of an engine assembly is the cylinder head. It holds the key to making power. It also offers the opportunity to make more horsepower. Cams, headers, carburetion can only go so far making horsepower without the cylinder head. However, cylinder heads can be expensive, but this may be one place in the engine where spending the extra money may be worth it.â€
“Mopar Engines, Speed Secrets & Racing Modifications For Chrysler V-8 & 6 Cylinder Engines", Chrysler Corporation

“An engine’s horsepower is directly proportional to the amount of air drawn into the cylinder and retained until ignition occurs. By reducing the airflow resistance of the intake and exhaust ports, cylinder filling is improved and engine horsepower is increased directly.â€
“Buick Power Sourceâ€, General Motors Corporation

“Cylinder heads may not rate a high priority as far as the master plan of the universe is concerned. But if your goal is to build a high-output Chevy for either street or track, then they almost certainly move to the number one spot. Anyone contemplating building a small-block Chevy and not appreciating this will get good results only by being lucky enough to choose a functional setâ€
“How To Build & Modify Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Cylinder Headsâ€
by David Vizard

[/FONT]

ok well forget what I said then. Track #s more important :D Unless you think you can feel the difference already...

ViperTruck2933 said:
What would it cost to move up to 2.02s and 1.60 valves?
Manley valves would be $380/set without shipping from BPE Racing. 19 bucks per valve times 20 of them.

MG42pillbox said:
ok well forget what I said then. Track #s more important :D Unless you think you can feel the difference already...
My truck would not be a fair comparison to do a dyno on these heads. Plus, I would have to put stockers back on to get a before dyno. I am FI.

I attached the wrong graph before

Here is the Ported Heads with Ported Roe SC Intake:

portedheads_andportedintake2007_post.JPG

Ported Heads with unPorted/stock Roe SC Intake :
post_portedheads_andintake2007.JPG

On average, gained a couple CFM with the ported IM.

Last edited:
Second Set Ported Heads Numbers and Graph

Second Set Ported Heads Numbers and Graph
This set did a little better.

Before
unportedViperHeadsCFM_post.JPG

After
102_portedheads_2007_post.JPG

Graph of before vs after
102_portedheads_graph_post.JPG

Bone said:
Gawd I would love to!:rock:

I just don't feel like removing them, then reinstalling.:dontknow:

Will you have any before/after Dyno numbers?:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back