Flow numbers for my Ported Heads

Bone...educate me.

In the old days to port heads we got a grinder and went to work...I presume that the numbers you are posting would be replicated fairly closely, because the porting is done by computer controlled systems these days...how much normal variance would be projected, plus or minus about how much?

Roy

Good numbers Bone.

The real "Hot" set up on the exhaust valves is to use the 07 Viper car valve. it is an alloy very similar to inconel.

Hamrhead said:
Will you have any before/after Dyno numbers?:D
see posts 15, 16 and 19.

@ .550: 296.3-254.2 = 42.1
@ .600: 301.3-258.6 = 42.7
@ .650: 303.2-259.7 = 43.5

Using 2 HP/CFM rule of thumb for V-8s, then you have about 84-86HP gain with good tune for the increased air flow. This seems a bit high to me but that's a good thing! Only way to tell is to dyno before and after. The best result will be a better 1/4 mile time. As I have heard from multiple people about HP and performance, you need to start with your heads and then work from there. Many factors will affect the results.

I just don't feel like removing them, then reinstalling.:dontknow:
LOL....how else would you like to port them? :nurse:

Last edited:
Prof said:
Bone...educate me.

In the old days to port heads we got a grinder and went to work...I presume that the numbers you are posting would be replicated fairly closely, because the porting is done by computer controlled systems these days...how much normal variance would be projected, plus or minus about how much?

Roy
These are hand ported and machined. As you can see the two sets, same heads, slightly different numbers, but close nonetheless. They were ported to stock gaskets. If you use other gaskets, like belanger exhaust gaskets, the numbers would be slightly different too. This is an older guy, good ole boy in town, who has been porting heads for some 26 years. Started with motorcycle heads and branched out. He's getting my 6.1 Heads next as soon as I put my SRT-10 back together.

We have a different guy do the machine work with Taliban Dan. So there are 3 people that work on the heads for a complete product. Start with the machine shop with the 3 angle racing valve job (or whatever valve job interested in), then to the porters, back to the machine shop to finish up the valves (and spring seats if needed), and finally back to reassemble them.

And for you, we can port match your SC intake manifold too, since he just did mine.

Last edited:
FSTJACK said:
Good numbers Bone.

The real "Hot" set up on the exhaust valves is to use the 07 Viper car valve. it is an alloy very similar to inconel.
What is its size? Stockers? If not, who has them?

RedRamRules said:
Bone, you think extrude honing after having them ported would be a good idea?
To your IM?

In general. I would like to give myself a christmas present of ported heads, and was wondering about going all the way and including new components (rockers, springs, pushrods) as well as having them extrude honed.

If this is going into a cost zone, better make it PM. Thanks!

RedRamRules said:
In general. I would like to give myself a christmas present of ported heads, and was wondering about going all the way and including new components (rockers, springs, pushrods) as well as having them extrude honed.

If this is going into a cost zone, better make it PM. Thanks!
Whatever you would like on the heads is fine with me. We can make it happen. If you want to buy the aftermarket parts and send them that's fine with me.

I have a thread on aftermarket springs, retainers, keepers:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15256
I am not making any money on these. This is what it costs me and I have a set going on mine right now.

Aftermarket rockers, I believe Jessels and Harland Sharps are two options. The Jessels being more expensive. Also with both, I think you need valve cover spacers or Boomer's/Roe's valve covers for the extra clearance. From memory, Jessels are around 1600 and Harland Sharps around 700.

If this gets going, I can flirt with the idea of getting a business license to bring down the costs for everyone. Nevertheless, I am not making any money just paying off the laborers for their work.

Bone said:
Whatever you would like on the heads is fine with me. We can make it happen. If you want to buy the aftermarket parts and send them that's fine with me.

I have a thread on aftermarket springs, retainers, keepers:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15256
I am not making any money on these. This is what it costs me and I have a set going on mine right now.

Aftermarket rockers, I believe Jessels and Harland Sharps are two options. The Jessels being more expensive. Also with both, I think you need valve cover spacers or Boomer's/Roe's valve covers for the extra clearance. From memory, Jessels are around 1600 and Harland Sharps around 700.

If this gets going, I can flirt with the idea of getting a business license to bring down the costs for everyone. Nevertheless, I am not making any money just paying off the laborers for their work.
T&D Machine also makes the roller rockers. They run about $1300 for a Gen III set.

If the builder knows what he's doing the Gen II T&Ds will work on a Gen III. The Gen IIs run about $800. That's what I have on mine. ;)

I have heard bad things about the Harland Sharps.
2 cents.

The set is completed today. :)
Unless someone on the forum wants the first shot on them, Taliban Dan is going to list them on Ebay.
p1.JPG

pp2.JPG

pp3.JPG

pp4.JPG

pp5.JPG

pp6.JPG

Bone, can you shave the viper heads like you would on a chevy or ford? Just a thought to boost compression. Thanks.

I did that to my hemi heads, I believe I am around 10.4-10.6-1, now I am stuck with High Octane gas.

I'm a little confused. What would be the increase in cfm just porting the heads with the stock valves? And since I'm FI, would there be additional gains? What would be the additional gain going with the larger valves? I'm currently looking into getting a set ported or buying a set already made up.

blackviper said:
I'm a little confused. What would be the increase in cfm just porting the heads with the stock valves? And since I'm FI, would there be additional gains? What would be the additional gain going with the larger valves? I'm currently looking into getting a set ported or buying a set already made up.

On the first page there is a comparison vs the jm cylinder head's. the jm's use a bigger intake valve we are using stock intake and exhaust. Yes you will gain additional HP and tq. We have not done a set with bigger valves yet.

Also, we don't have a dyno solely with the ported heads added with the SC. I would love to be able to dyno each part individually but not practically feasible.

You also have to ask yourself what is the limiting factor on your truck. We had another guy (not mentioning names) who had ported heads and a big cam shaft, however, we believe he was limited by his small primarys on his exhaust.

So I believe your question is about FI and ported heads. You are going to flow more air hopefully still boosting to 5.6 psi. I put a smaller (bigger boosting pully) on my SC for the last install, so I can't really tell you a good answer....not a good comparison. I'm sure there is someone on here more qualified to get you a real good answer, however there are many factors as you know affecting your boost now.

What would be the additional gain going with the larger valves?
Tough to say. I would say some increase with FI but is it worth 380 (manley valves) plus labor for the valves?

As you can see, we have these heads flowing equal to or more than the J&Ms with larger valves. I bet we could get a few more CFM with those valves but all bang for the buck now. I would have done it with mine, however the Manley valves are on back order. Who knows maybe down the road I will. I am already experimenting with the aftermarket dual springs and retainers. Should be installed tomorrow. We had a little conference with BPE and the machine shop about the larger retainers and the rocker arms.

The new 2008 has ported heads, claiming some 14-18% increase on airflow over our stockers.

mopower1958 said:
All this head talk is good but, DID YOU FIND THE NOISE IN THE ENGINE???
Yes, number 7 piston rod, it's on a different thread. My engine rebuilt part 2. I will try to get a picture sometime this week. Truck is at Taliban Dan's house. I had stock rods which I thought could handle the HP, but I was wrong. lol Luckily for the diamond pistons. Stockers could have grenaded.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back