Checking Interest: Custom Alum. Battery Tray Box

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.
I talked with my custom welding guy today about a battery tray storage box for the SRT-10 trucks (for use in that 2nd battery tray). A custom one-off *is* going to happen, but I figured some of my buddies might like one as well.

Before I put an order in for 10 of them and get all nutty with colors, etc., I wanted to check to see if any forum members would be interested in something like this.

Here's the basic plan:
  • Storage box will fit perfectly the battery tray (LxW).
  • Height will be set just under the hood strut mount.
  • All-aluminum construction (gauge unknown at this time, but nothing too heavy)
  • Will be non-invasive (no drilling!)/will use existing screws.
  • Possible weather-proof, or just a simple rubber seal between lid & box.
  • Single latch with either piano hinge or dual hinges.
  • Possible powder coating (or anodized) colors:
    • Red (3)
    • Silver/clearcoated (1)
    • Blue (1)
    • White (1)
    • Yellow (1)
    • Black (3)
  • Of course, the larger the quantity, the cheaper they become.
  • Estimated price (via the phone): About $50 before coating.
I'm headed to his shop after the Mopar Nats to go over the details. I'll be dropping off my spare battery tray with him so he can get the dimensions dead-on.

I will post progress pics and design updates in this thread as soon as I get them.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Interested to see pics of the prototype Kevan. $50 sounds more than reasonable...add shipping and coating and we are talking in the $100 range? Sounds OK to me. More storage is always better.

Greg

Greg- With coating and shipping, they should still be well under $100.

No pics until after the Mopar Nationals. :D
I'm headed to his shop to give some SolidWorks lessons on Monday morning. I'll have my camera and battery tray with me.

i know that i am a new member but i would be intrested in red color would be sweet thanks.:rock:

The mock-up is done, and it's all in the CAD program at the welding shop now. More SolidWorks lessons tomorrow.
I also found out that they have a new laser cutter there. Talk about a power tool. LOL

Here are some pics of the basic mock-up using foam core:
http://www.tremol-no.com/images/woodblock/srt-10/batterybox/
(mounting brackets aren't shown in these pics)

We're looking at using 1/8" (.125") 5000-series aluminum. For thickness reference, the foam core in the pics is 3/16" thick (.188").

As far as powder-coating goes, I'm probably going to have them do Black, Red, and Silver (uncoated) unless some of the other colors are requested. No offense to the yellow, white and blue guys out there. I'm just going with the basics here.

More updates coming this week.

BTW- the guys at the welding shop love the truck. :)

Question for ya Kevan...Is the box tall enough to fit a quart of oil standing up, or will we have to lay fluid bottles over on their side? Thanks for all of your hard work on this project!!:rock: Looks Great!! Can't wait to see it all welded up in black!! Perhaps you might want to contact Boomer and supply him with a few dozen. I am sure he would end up selling them eventually. Could be the beginning of a small side business for ya.

Greg

fun2xlr8 said:
Question for ya Kevan...Is the box tall enough to fit a quart of oil standing up, or will we have to lay fluid bottles over on their side?
I'm not sure on this. The mock up is at their shop tonight. I'll take a bottle of Mobil1 with me tomorrow and check.
I do know, however, that it *will* hold a set of heavy duty jumper cables and 4 motorcycle straps. :D

fun2xlr8 said:
Perhaps you might want to contact Boomer and supply him with a few dozen. I am sure he would end up selling them eventually. Could be the beginning of a small side business for ya.

Greg
That is the plan, Greg. If this is something that folks really dig, I'll get Boomer in touch with the welding shop and have them work out the details.
I have enough business going on at the moment. I don't need another one. :)

94rt- I'm taking my camera with me to the shop each day. I will be taking pics of the entire process.

Please add me to the List BLACK!!!

Kevan said:
I'm not sure on this. The mock up is at their shop tonight. I'll take a bottle of Mobil1 with me tomorrow and check.
I do know, however, that it *will* hold a set of heavy duty jumper cables and 4 motorcycle straps. :D

That is the plan, Greg. If this is something that folks really dig, I'll get Boomer in touch with the welding shop and have them work out the details.
I have enough business going on at the moment. I don't need another one. :)

94rt- I'm taking my camera with me to the shop each day. I will be taking pics of the entire process.

I would like to participate in this group buy!

Rick

Cool Rick, but it's not really a group buy. It's just a test run of the battery tray storage boxes.

In the future, they'll probably be available through one of the vendors here. We'll see what happens.

I'll put you on the list.

Coolio!

Kevan said:
Cool Rick, but it's not really a group buy. It's just a test run of the battery tray storage boxes.

In the future, they'll probably be available through one of the vendors here. We'll see what happens.

I'll put you on the list.

Thanks Kevster!

now if you can make one that slopes with the slant of the tray that is already there, that'd be awesome, at least for me :). im still in regardless

Michael- Not a bad idea, but I didn't do that for a couple of reasons:
1. An angled box wouldn't provide as much storage as a squared one.
2. The angle that the battery tray sides are at are actually angled as well; they're not parallel to each other. That makes for a slightly kooky, and thus more expensive to make, design.

I'm trying to keep it simple and straight-forward.

Tonight, I'm looking for hinges that can not only be welded, but also powdercoated to match the boxes.
Fun.

Piano hinges at Home Depot bro. Just make sure they are the type that the pin is removable and replacable or you can't powdercoat them!!

Greg

Yeah, but most piano hinges at HD and those type stores are zinc or brass. Those don't weld too well to aluminum. :D
I found some nice, cheap (but decent quality) 3' aluminum piano hinges w/ a 1/8" pin. Sturdy, and it can be welded *and* powdercoated.

Now comes the tough part: The latch.

(Admit it: you all love designing and fabricating this stuff as much as I do. LOL)

Kevan said:
(Admit it: you all love designing and fabricating this stuff as much as I do. LOL)

i love the fact that you love it. i leave that sort of thing to those smarter than I.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back