Checking Interest: Custom Alum. Battery Tray Box

Kevan said:
Yeah, but most piano hinges at HD and those type stores are zinc or brass. Those don't weld too well to aluminum. :D
I found some nice, cheap (but decent quality) 3' aluminum piano hinges w/ a 1/8" pin. Sturdy, and it can be welded *and* powdercoated.

Now comes the tough part: The latch.

(Admit it: you all love designing and fabricating this stuff as much as I do. LOL)

You should use a latch like the one Boomer (and everyone) uses on the gas doors. Magnetic push to latch/open...

Not a bad idea, TYF, but.....then the lid won't be latched flush with the edges covered.

Right now, it's a simple magnetic latch (lift to open).

I'm back at the welding shop tomorrow so I'll see what the possibilities are with the latch.

Kevan..I still think you should make it a cooler..lol

Riff- you want a cooler under the hood of one of the hottest engine compartments ever made? Ummm....okay. :)

I have the CAD files now, so I'll work on some virtual mock-ups tonight and get them posted. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hinge welded *and* powdercoated to match the boxes. It's a lot harder than it sounds. We might end up with a very small silver hinge that's riveted in place.

If anyone has suggestions regarding the hinge/latch, I'm open to them all.

Here's probably the easiest, dumbest idea. How about four spring clips, one on each side. The same style spring clips that hold our stock air filter housing on. They are readily available through any parts department, could be painted or powder coated to match, and would require just enough fabbing as it takes to weld a small flange for them to clasp onto.

Ok, I think that idea sucks, too. I'll keep brainstorming.

Greg

Ok, here's another stupid idea. Remember the old European race cars that had leather straps across the bonnet (hood) to save on weight and hold the hood down? Well, how about a nylon strap that goes around the box with a plastic clasp that goes over the top. The box and lid would be two pieces just like my last suggestion, so no need for hinges, and it is lightweight.

Yes, I know, I know.....another dumb idea....:dontknow:

Greg

Not bad ideas Greg, but they won't really work for this particular setup.

CAD pics coming shortly.

fun2xlr8 said:
Ok, The box and lid would be two pieces just like my last suggestion, so no need for hinges, and it is lightweight.
Greg

Greg,
Just have your girl friend stand next to the box and nobody will care what is there as far as hinges or latches.
A bungee cord would work if she is there, nobody will look at anything else.;)

FSTJACK said:
Greg,
Just have your girl friend stand next to the box and nobody will care what is there as far as hinges or latches.
A bungee cord would work if she is there, nobody will look at anything else.;)

Hehehe, and I get to see her nekkid every night!!! Whooooweee, lucky me she has bad eyesight and poor taste in men!!

Greg

Kevan said:
Hey folks.
I talked with my custom welding guy today about a battery tray storage box for the SRT-10 trucks (for use in that 2nd battery tray). A custom one-off *is* going to happen, but I figured some of my buddies might like one as well.

Before I put an order in for 10 of them and get all nutty with colors, etc., I wanted to check to see if any forum members would be interested in something like this.

Here's the basic plan:
  • Storage box will fit perfectly the battery tray (LxW).
  • Height will be set just under the hood strut mount.
  • All-aluminum construction (gauge unknown at this time, but nothing too heavy)
  • Will be non-invasive (no drilling!)/will use existing screws.
  • Possible weather-proof, or just a simple rubber seal between lid & box.
  • Single latch with either piano hinge or dual hinges.
  • Possible powder coating (or anodized) colors:
    • Red (3)
    • Silver/clearcoated (1)
    • Blue (1)
    • White (1)
    • Yellow (1)
    • Black (3)
  • Of course, the larger the quantity, the cheaper they become.
  • Estimated price (via the phone): About $50 before coating.
I'm headed to his shop after the Mopar Nats to go over the details. I'll be dropping off my spare battery tray with him so he can get the dimensions dead-on.

I will post progress pics and design updates in this thread as soon as I get them.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Great idea! I would definately be interested, most likely black and would need to see pics of finished product.

another new guy thats up for one.i'll check into a latch like the ones used on aircraft.it would be flush.i may want a white one

Kevan-I was just kidding..Just my lame attempt at humor..the storage box idea is a good one..as for the latch, how bout something like used to be on my lunchbox as a kid?..I think something magnetic wouldnt be strong enough to keep the lid from rattling around...Or since its so hot under the hood, you could coat the inside with teflon, like a non stick pan, and make it a deep fryer to fully cook the chicken at next years Nats..

Here's a quick pic with the addition of a real hinge. I also added a small lip to the front edge of the lid. This should work pretty well as a handle.

OPEN
CLOSED
No colors this time. Sorry. :)

Let me know what you guys think.

I would be interested would like to se a finished model installed. Good looking out..
cheers
shane

I ordered the hinges on Thurs. They should be at the shop on Monday or Tuesday. When they arrive, I'll go in and finalize the CAD drawings, and we'll cut, bend, and weld a quick sample. I'll post some pics of that. If all is well, we'll build the other 9. They will be laser-cut, so accuracy will be dead-on.

Anyone interested in a few 3" louvers on the engine-side face of the box? I saw them on a few other pieces at their shop and thought they looked kinda cool, plus I thought it might help a little with heat transfer/dissipation inside the box. As of now, no louvers will be put on. Maybe in the future we'll do louvered and non-louvered models.

I will also talk with the powdercoating shop once I have a physical box in my hand. They'll be able to price quote me more accurately that way.

If we can go from concept to production sample in 30 days, I'd say we're doing pretty damn good. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back