Checking Interest: Custom Alum. Battery Tray Box

all of this sounds great,will be looking for pictures of product. i am still in for one in red, thanks brat.

Ok, so I'm taking it the louvers aren't to anyone's liking? That's easy enough.

No updates on the boxes this week as the shop is slammed.
Next week I will be in Rhode Island for my mom's wedding.
We should have a built prototype the following week.

I'll post tons of pics pre- and post-installation.

Thanks everyone!

Doesn't matter what color the box is for me, I would be delighted to fill it nonetheless. I am an equal opportunity box stuffer. Just so long as the box fits what I have to put in it. That is what is important. Having a box that fits just right. Not too snug, don't want to have to force things in it. Not too big, don't want your stuff fallin over inside the box. Yessir, a nice stout box that fits my stuff nicely, that's what's important in life, not the color. Wait, what were we talkin about again?:D

Greg

If you have too much stuff, what are you going to do with the stuff left over?

Hey folks. I literally JUST walkend in the door from Rhode Island (12 straight hours of driving...whew).

I'll check in with the shop tomorrow and get an update for everyone.

The shop went ahead without me. LOL Here are some pics of a batt box that was fab'ed up quick so we could fit-check it.
  1. PIC- Pre-install
  2. PIC- Pre-install
  3. PIC- Installed; no lid
  4. PIC- Installed; no lid
  5. PIC- Installed; no lid
  6. PIC- Installed; with lid
  7. PIC- Installed; with lid
  8. PIC- Installed; with lid
I'm looking at some very thin gasket/weatherstripping for the 3 exposed edges of the box. This will allow it to be sealed fairly well (water resistant), prevent rattling of the lid while driving, and let us use a heavy-duty "stereo latch" to open/close it.

Please note that this is a VERY rough fab of the box. The welds are still visible/untouched, no rounded corners on the mount brackets, etc. Also the hinge and lid are obviously not welded on yet.

We made the necessary adjustments and will hopefully do another test-fit on Friday or Monday.

I'm pretty happy with the results thus far.

Looks great Kevan..I'll take one in black if still available.

Kevan said:
The shop went ahead without me. LOL Here are some pics of a batt box that was fab'ed up quick so we could fit-check it.
  1. PIC- Pre-install
  2. PIC- Pre-install
  3. PIC- Installed; no lid
  4. PIC- Installed; no lid
  5. PIC- Installed; no lid
  6. PIC- Installed; with lid
  7. PIC- Installed; with lid
  8. PIC- Installed; with lid
I'm looking at some very thin gasket/weatherstripping for the 3 exposed edges of the box. This will allow it to be sealed fairly well (water resistant), prevent rattling of the lid while driving, and let us use a heavy-duty "stereo latch" to open/close it.

Please note that this is a VERY rough fab of the box. The welds are still visible/untouched, no rounded corners on the mount brackets, etc. Also the hinge and lid are obviously not welded on yet.

We made the necessary adjustments and will hopefully do another test-fit on Friday or Monday.

I'm pretty happy with the results thus far.

Better add me to list for a red one...

Looks pretty nice!

Stretch

I'm gonna keep a list here if it's alright with the admins.

Brat- RED
Chuck B- BLACK
Sapientiam- ????
Rick R- ????
Mike Nice- RED
MYTRAM- BLACK
sstdusty- WHITE
AZviper- RED
Viprtek- ????
BlackRamSRT10- BLACK
FSTJACK- BLACK
Fun2XLR8- BLACK/RED/HOT PINK
Iltemprd- BLACK
Ntw0rk- RED
amoparman- RED

If you want on the list, quote this post and add your name & color.
If you want off the list, quote this post and delete your name & color.

Thanks everyone! This thing is gonna be pretty slick!

Brat- RED
Chuck B- BLACK
Sapientiam- BLACK
Rick R- ????
Mike Nice- RED
MYTRAM- BLACK
sstdusty- WHITE
AZviper- RED
Viprtek- ????
BlackRamSRT10- BLACK
FSTJACK- BLACK
Iltemprd- BLACK
Ntw0rk- RED
amoparman- RED

This is definately going to look sweet, Thanks again Kev for initiating this.

Kevan said:
I'm gonna keep a list here if it's alright with the admins.

Brat- RED
Chuck B- BLACK
Sapientiam- ????
Rick R- BLACK
Mike Nice- RED
MYTRAM- BLACK
sstdusty- WHITE
AZviper- RED
Viprtek- ????
BlackRamSRT10- BLACK
FSTJACK- BLACK
Iltemprd- BLACK
Ntw0rk- RED
amoparman- RED

If you want on the list, quote this post and add your name & color.
If you want off the list, quote this post and delete your name & color.

Thanks everyone! This thing is gonna be pretty slick!

Black and Beeyooteefooool

Rick

I'm headed down to the shop tomorrow. I'll find out wassabi then.

I picked up some magnetic "stereo door" latches, and some foam to test out regarding the lid seal. I think the best way to do this is to cover the entire inside of the lid with a very thin foam (about 1/8"). This will protect the lid from the contents, and provide a clean looking seal all the way around the edge.

The aluminum hinges should be in by now as well. Oh, and I'm going to be introduced to the powdercoater who's right across the street. From what I've seen, he does quality work.

I'll get more pics tomorrow if there's any news to report.

Here's the latest updated list:
  1. Brat- RED
  2. Chuck B- BLACK
  3. Sapientiam- BLACK
  4. Rick R- BLACK
  5. Mike Nice- RED
  6. MYTRAM- BLACK
  7. sstdusty- WHITE
  8. AZviper- RED
  9. Viprtek- ????
  10. BlackRamSRT10- BLACK
  11. FSTJACK- BLACK
  12. Fun2XLR8- BLACK/RED/HOT PINK
  13. Iltemprd- BLACK
  14. Ntw0rk- RED
  15. amoparman- RED
We've moved this first run to 15 boxes.

Vipertek- yours is gonna be black unless you get in touch with me before powdercoating starts. :)

Thanks for your patience everyone! We'll get these out to everyone ASAFP.

Sorry for the delays folks. With my accident, being out of town, and the shop being slammed, it's taken a little longer than expected. Still, a pretty tight schedule. :)

The hinges are (finally) here and I think we're pretty much done with the tweaking. I just need a fully-assembled box to figure out how the seal is going to work. Same goes for the latch, but that should be pretty easy.

I'm headed down to the shop tomorrow, and we're scheduled to do all 15 boxes then (laser cutters ROCK!). I will take PLENTY of pics.
Then it's off to the powder-coaters, which shouldn't be all that long depending on how busy they are.

Get your checkbooks ready folks....heh heh.....

Checkbooks? No one ever said anything about needing checkbooks....! :p Can't wait...well, actually, I can but don't want too! Thanks for your work on this. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back