How many qts of oil in the 8.3L? anyone use other than mobile 1?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been answered here before but when I use the search it's worthless...always comes back saying too many words or how of many are not key words...ect bottom search is useless....i want to know how many qts. this big boy takes and if anyone is running any oil other than Mobile 1?

8 1/2 qt in a 2005 w/ filter change..... If you call 3 dealer service departments, you will get 3 different answers. :D But, it is 8 1/2. ;)

The truck came with Mobil 1 from the factory.... If want to use something else, more power to ya. Just use synthetic. :)

05 using royal purple----8 1/2 qts

Black1 said:
8 1/2 qt in a 2005 w/ filter change..... If you call 3 dealer service departments, you will get 3 different answers. :D But, it is 8 1/2. ;)

The truck came with Mobil 1 from the factory.... If want to use something else, more power to ya. Just use synthetic. :)
8.5 wont even get mine on the stick:dontknow: :dontknow:

Ok I think I'll start with 8.5 and work my way from there if it doesn't hit the stick...it's easier to add then to remove!!!! I'm not a big fan of Mobile1 to begin with...i think i'm going with shell full synthetic...i always used to use the rotella T 40W in my diesel and absolutely loved it!!! every 5k mile oil change looked the same, never any deviation in oil color or consistency!

SRTmik3 said:
http://www.new-cars.com/2005/dodge/dodge-ram-srt10-specs.html

unless you're not letting the oil drain completely.

Hell, even the OWNERS MANUAL said it took 10 qts. ;) They cut and pasted it from the Viper (car) manual.... They amended the owners manual on later production 2005's to show the true capacity (8.5qts). The Trucks have a different size oil pan than the cars do.

....... But, what do I know. :burnout:

505'sFastestViper. said:
8.5 wont even get mine on the stick:dontknow: :dontknow:

You have a very short stick...I've been told!

Sorry brother...your straight line was just too good to pass...:D :D :D :D

Black1 said:
Hell, even the OWNERS MANUAL said it took 10 qts. ;) They cut and pasted it from the Viper (car) manual.... They amended the owners manual on later production 2005's to show the true capacity (8.5qts). The Trucks have a different size oil pan than the cars do.

....... But, what do I know. :burnout:

:withstupid: :withstupid: :dito: :dito:

All right I am fricken confused. I have a 05 QC built in March. My truck takes 10 quarts. 8 doesn't register, 9 aint close. 10. Now I have asked before but why are all the trucks different???

5_0_BAIT said:
All right I am fricken confused. I have a 05 QC built in March. My truck takes 10 quarts. 8 doesn't register, 9 aint close. 10. Now I have asked before but why are all the trucks different???

That's a very good question...... :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back