How many qts of oil in the 8.3L? anyone use other than mobile 1?

Mine holds 10qts also. Larry got it right with the 06's having a larger oil pan.

Come to think of it, have any 06's been bitten by the #3 piston dilema?

supercar1of1 said:

I am preparing a detailed thread on enhanced lubrication systems for these trucks.

If you really want the best filtering and increased capacity, procure a high quality remote bypass filter system. I have used these on my vehicles for about 20yrs.
I have one for my truck but have not had an opportunity to install.

It uses a 1.5qt synthetic full flow 15micron filter + a 2qt >1micron bypass filter.

It never even occurred to me about the oil cooler! :eek: That's a brilliant theory, John! :congrats: It along with the different filter explains everything.... a real "Dr. Gregory House MD" moment there.... :rock:

And, yes, a remote system (like some diesel guys use) would be very good for our trucks.... save on oil changes too, as some can go 50k miles or more without a change. http://www.extremedutyoil.com/BypassFilterPage.html

Last edited:
Black1 said:
It never even occurred to me about the oil cooler! :eek: That's a brilliant theory, John! :congrats: It along with the different filter explains everything.... a real "Dr. Gregory House MD" moment there.... :rock:

And, yes, a remote system (like some diesel guys use) would be very good for our trucks.... save on oil changes too, as some can go 50k miles or more without a change. http://www.extremedutyoil.com/BypassFilterPage.html

The best example in favor of those systems is my 92 f150. I only changed the oil (Mobil 1 or Amsoil)maybe 5 times in 136,000mi when the intake gasket failed(no fault of the oil). When the engine a 5.8 v-8 was torn down for inspection, it was like new on the inside with no measurable wear on any of the bearing surfaces.

Also, the only time I ever had to add any oil between the few times I changed the oil was just a tiny amount after some long distance, high speed,
trips.

Bottom line the money I saved more than made up the cost of the system by a very large margin.

PS: Jake that's the system I've been using. Very high quality.

Last edited:
supercar1of1 said:

Viper tech here told me that the engine oil cooler was larger on the 2006's.:dontknow:

Should be able to check the part #'s of the cooler and oil pans to find out.:dontknow:

Even if the cooler was bigger it wouldnt make a difference when changing oil. When you pull your drain plug bolt, the oil in the cooler doesnt drain out. The cooler would only make a difference on the first time it was filled.

yellowfever#154 said:
Even if the cooler was bigger it wouldnt make a difference when changing oil. When you pull your drain plug bolt, the oil in the cooler doesnt drain out. The cooler would only make a difference on the first time it was filled.

Maybe not on a lift.... But, what about a driveway (on a slope or incline). :dontknow: :confused: :eek:

kickinassrt-10 said:
Ok I think I'll start with 8.5 and work my way from there if it doesn't hit the stick...it's easier to add then to remove!!!! I'm not a big fan of Mobile1 to begin with...i think i'm going with shell full synthetic...i always used to use the rotella T 40W in my diesel and absolutely loved it!!! every 5k mile oil change looked the same, never any deviation in oil color or consistency!

I have a silver '05 QC just like yours. Per previously stated it's 8 1/2 quarts for the '05. I've stayed with the Mobil 1 0w-40 per recommendations in the owner's manual and on the oil filler cap. I race, so per the owner's manual also I do the changes every 3,000 miles. My truck just rolled past 48,000 miles, with the last 17,000 under a Roe S/C......may just be good luck but I mention it because not having taken any chances with lubrication may have paid off.

Best to you,
oldguy

Black1 said:
Maybe not on a lift.... But, what about a driveway (on a slope or incline). :dontknow: :confused: :eek:

Wouldnt think so. One the one side of the cooler is the oil pump and the other side is the galleries to the block. No way for the oil to escape the cooler unless you removed the lines.

yellowfever#154 said:
Wouldnt think so. One the one side of the cooler is the oil pump and the other side is the galleries to the block. No way for the oil to escape the cooler unless you removed the lines.

Ah, I see... Thanks. :eek:

Black1 said:

Never change oil unless on level ground for safety and proper draining....if the truck is not level you will not get all the oil out of the pan...

Black1 said:
Yeah, some say nine.... But some are using a different filter (Viper car filter)... did you use a Mopar filter? If so, what color was it (black or white)? :confused:
K&N oil filter

TNVIPER said:
Never change oil unless on level ground for safety and proper draining....if the truck is not level you will not get all the oil out of the pan...

There's an outward curve in the casting on the bottom rear in pan of my '05 QC, and the drain is at the rear/lowest point in the casting, with the result being minimal need for significant concern for the truck to be level to ensure all oil is removed. My driveway's sloped. I change my oil with my truck on 12" drive-on ramps under the front tires resulting in more slope. I've no concern I'll not get all the oil out of the pan, and with the emergency brake on, transmission in park, and the rear wheels chocked I've also no concern for safety. Maybe the pan arrangement, and safety concerns with the RC pertinent to a manual tranny result in other considerations.

oldguy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back