How many qts of oil in the 8.3L? anyone use other than mobile 1?

well black trucks burn more trying to keep up with red trucks:marchmellow:

HISS said:
8.0Liters (8.5 Qt)....Off Alldata. Mine took 9 Qts of Royal Purple 5w30.

Yeah, some say nine.... But some are using a different filter (Viper car filter)... did you use a Mopar filter? If so, what color was it (black or white)? :confused:

5_0_BAIT said:
All right I am fricken confused. I have a 05 QC built in March. My truck takes 10 quarts. 8 doesn't register, 9 aint close. 10. Now I have asked before but why are all the trucks different???
only thing i can think of why some are different, maybe because of the mod/engine work done to the truck, may affect oil level??:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Mine takes 8.5 quarts and the black mopar filter. On my first oil change I put in 8.5 qts and it did not touch the dip stick. I let it sit for 10 min and the oil level was ok. Didn't someone say it takes different oil capacities because of different oil pans for the 06's?

wyoramsrt-10 said:
Mine takes 8.5 quarts and the black mopar filter. On my first oil change I put in 8.5 qts and it did not touch the dip stick. I let it sit for 10 min and the oil level was ok. Didn't someone say it takes different oil capacities because of different oil pans for the 06's?

Yes... The frame on the 2006 is totally new. Therefore, they were able to fit a bigger oil pan. :)

Where would someone go to find out such information on the different oil capacities? Mine is an early 05 and takes 10, where others seem to take 8.5 and still others take 9? By the way I use the Viper filter.

Viper tech here told me that the engine oil cooler was larger on the 2006's.:dontknow:

Should be able to check the part #'s of the cooler and oil pans to find out.:dontknow:

I had not heard that John...but sounds logical and would explain a lot of this variance...I would like to have a couple of extra quarts via a larger oil cooler!

I am going to check that out.

Prof said:
I had not heard that John...but sounds logical and would explain a lot of this variance...I would like to have a couple of extra quarts via a larger oil cooler!

I am going to check that out.

I am preparing a detailed thread on enhanced lubrication systems for these trucks.

If you really want the best filtering and increased capacity, procure a high quality remote bypass filter system. I have used these on my vehicles for about 20yrs.
I have one for my truck but have not had an opportunity to install.

It uses a 1.5qt synthetic full flow 15micron filter + a 2qt >1micron bypass filter.

iraqivet01 said:
Seems to take 10 qts in mine. before it read on the stick. Didn't or hasn't blow any seals in my engine, and I drive it daily.

we've never had a problem with any of our trucks either.

my manual said 8.7 qts. i always used 9 and it was perfect on the dipstick every time

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back