05 Silver Reg Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerspen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Picked up an 05 Reg Cab Silver, last fall from Reno, NV. I wasnt really looking to buy one, but it was a deal I couldnt pass up, and boy am I glad I didnt pass it up. This truck hauls some serious a%$. I was actually looking for a viper motor-tranny combo for a different project, and stumbled across this truck. Drove it back from Reno to WI, made incredible time, these trucks love doing triple digits all day long. I know, Im preaching to the choir, but that was the easiest and quickest drive I have ever done through NV and Utah. I have designated it to be my new drag truck. My father sold the barracuda drag car that we raced about 6 years ago, and I have been itching to get out lately, so I found your website, found an old thread about ET drag radials and decided to get a set. Just so happened that someone on here was selling a set. BTW thanks for the info, and the tires and rims. I am more of an old iron guy, but I loved the power of the viper since I rented one down in Vegas. Ill get pics up in spring after she gets out of the garage. Had to go to Cali the week after I got it and wouldnt ya know it, I got back and there was 13 inches of snow on the ground, so my srt-10 driving season was very short. While in the garage though, thought I would do some work to it, trucks in great shape, but is a rebuilt title vehicle, so it has a few things it needs worked on. Trailer brake module in cab but no receiver, damn scavengers, broken shifter nob(had the old style pistol grip on it, looks like that puts to much stress on the top of that shifter lever), no spare tire, couple nuts and screws missing in the front, I am thinking it had front end damage, sub crackles, rack needs to be replaced. Got reman rack from AZ, got lifetime warranty because I figure I will be replacing it again since it sounds like they go out on the dodge trucks frequently. Picked up a factory tonneau cover and the other parts from x2 builders. Truck is mostly stock, has aftermarket cold air intake and cat back exhaust. I want to do some other mods before the race season starts, any suggestions would be great. I have the et drag radials already, but not sure how far I can go with mods before I wont have traction. Dont really want to waste the money on mods that wont be realized on the track. Well, I am a mopar guy through and through, my list includes, 77 charger daytona 50k miles, 75 4x4 panther pink van 30k miles, 66 dodge coronet 500 convertible, 78 dodge 4x4 short box. Thanks for the website and look forward to chiming in. Spence from WI :burnout:

Wow! Good luck with your build, and welcome from another silver '05 RC in NY. Mine won't come out of the garage until the sand is off the streets. :D There are plent of motor heads on this site, and some plain head cases. Check with Tony Sawyer, JTS Performance. He is fair and honest (fool):p :D

Welcome to the club. I'm an 05 Silver RC owner as well. I think if you look around a lot of the guys who are doing traction upgrades, such as myself, went with a set of Caltracs traction bars. In addition, I bought a complete set of Energy Burshings that some feel help the truck hook better as well. I don't race at the track yet so I can't say for sure. However, if you want a 5000 lb. truck to corner like a Vette the bushing upgrade is the way to go. More serious guys go with a 4 link or ladder setup but I am way out of my league talking about those upgrades. Enjoy the truck its a lot of fun.

Welcome to the Family

Welcome, And you did get the fastest color.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Viper Beau said:
Welcome to the club. I'm an 05 Silver RC owner as well. I think if you look around a lot of the guys who are doing traction upgrades, such as myself, went with a set of Caltracs traction bars. In addition, I bought a complete set of Energy Burshings that some feel help the truck hook better as well. I don't race at the track yet so I can't say for sure. However, if you want a 5000 lb. truck to corner like a Vette the bushing upgrade is the way to go. More serious guys go with a 4 link or ladder setup but I am way out of my league talking about those upgrades. Enjoy the truck its a lot of fun.
Thanks for the welcome guys. Caltracs sounds like an inexpensive way to get better traction, the 4 link wasnt to expensive either though, Ill have to look at benefits and/or negatives of each.

Does anyone know if there has been a swap done from a gen 3 motor to a gen 4 motor, if so, can you send me a link or more info about the swap. There is one for sale right now, and want to give it some thought.

racerspen said:
Thanks for the welcome guys. Caltracs sounds like an inexpensive way to get better traction, the 4 link wasnt to expensive either though, Ill have to look at benefits and/or negatives of each.

Does anyone know if there has been a swap done from a gen 3 motor to a gen 4 motor, if so, can you send me a link or more info about the swap. There is one for sale right now, and want to give it some thought.
There's been lots of discussion about doing it, its just not very cost effective

Welcome Spence ......... Like Brad said We Need Pics ......

A wealth of knowledge on this site, I just bought a set of cal-tracks from Stinker, you'll run across him soon. A true blue vendor on this site ....

Jim

What part of Wi. you from? Definitely get together with Prof, terrific guy to know. I know there are several 10s in Wi.just need to get guys to post up. I was in Fox Valley area, but now in Denver, Co area.

Is this forum affiliated with any other forum's like the srt10forum or is that the competition and taboo to even talk about? :D

I think I actually saw this truck GET IN THE ACCIDENT.

If this was previously owned by a spanish/american or mexican/american then its the one.

I was at the light and he came from my left and made a turn at the light into my lane. Proceeded to run it through 1st gear pretty good and into 2nd. Then an old lady pulled out in front of him. Nothin he could do.

I didnt get a real good look at the damage but basically front end, bumper, grill, maybe both fenders?, headlights? radiator?

I would take a real close look at it and maybe have it all checked out again just to be sure the garage that did the work didnt miss anything or spend too little time on it.

Just my $,02.

Kevin(SHU) in Reno NV

I technically bought it from a kid(17-22), but he brought daddy along and I gave daddy the money and he gave me the title. I had them meet me at the airport as I flew in with intention of getting right back on the road and heading home, as I said it was just to good of a deal to pass up. I never asked who's name the title was really in. But the father looked mexican/american. I just figured the kid bought it and didnt realize what the real cost of owning something like that was, oil changes, tires, maintenance, gas, insurance, etc. Sounds like that was probably the truck though. How many times do you get to see an Silver RC get in an accident? Now that Im replacing the rack I am noticing more about the accident, it was definitely front end. The didnt put all the fasteners back, thats for sure. There is tell tale marks like srt written in white chalk/marker on the inner fender and stuff like that. Speaking of the rack, I have an oil leak at oil cooler. Is that a common problem on these, otherwise probably something not fixed properly from the accident.

Small world sometimes!!:rock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back