1 piece drive shaft

Have you calculated the critical speed for a 1 piece shaft? Length and RPM affect when all hell breaks loose down there. That is why the '04 (4.10) has a 4" shaft and the '05 (4.56) has a 5". Something that the '04 guys who have changed the rear gear should consider if they plan to drive 140+ mph.

Steve

Last edited:
Inland Empire Driveshaft

These folks (Hollis) makes a very high quality product at very reasonable prices.

They do steel, aluminum, composite and 2 piece.

They can properly engineer a driveshft for your needs.

Inland Empire Driveshaft Co. Ontario, CA

http://www.iedls.com/

address.gif

FSTJACK said:
These folks (Hollis) makes a very high quality product at very reasonable prices.

They do steel, aluminum, composite and 2 piece.

They can properly engineer a driveshft for your needs.

Inland Empire Driveshaft Co. Ontario, CA

http://www.iedls.com/

address.gif

perfect

9 seconds said:
Have you calculated the critical speed for a 1 piece shaft? Length and RPM affect when all hell breaks loose down there. That is why the '04 (4.10) has a 4" shaft and the '05 (4.56) has a 5". Something that the '04 guys who have changed the rear gear should consider if they plan to drive 140+ mph.

Steve

Interesting.......but I can say I will never hit 140mph on this rock!!

Is this in regards to the post on the old site about balancing your driveshift? I think it was a sticky for a while.

patrick

Just out of curiousity, why are you interested in a one piece driveshaft. At most you might loose 1 to 2 RWHP with the carrier bearing. Not really sure the risk would be worth the benefit.

Silverback said:
Just out of curiousity, why are you interested in a one piece driveshaft. At most you might loose 1 to 2 RWHP with the carrier bearing. Not really sure the risk would be worth the benefit.

not the carrier bearing inefficiency I am worried about as much as all the rotational mass of a steel 2 piece

Nowwhat said:
not the carrier bearing inefficiency I am worried about as much as all the rotational mass of a steel 2 piece

If you are worried about the mass, I would go with an aluminum 2 piece. I personally would be more concerned about the flex of a long one piece.

Silverback said:
If you are worried about the mass, I would go with an aluminum 2 piece. I personally would be more concerned about the flex of a long one piece.

I believe SilverBack is correct (as usual). Based on what I've read on the subject the length of our drive shaft could result in vibration pretty easily. A lighter two piece would be the way to go, IMHO.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Is this in regards to the post on the old site about balancing your driveshift? I think it was a sticky for a while.

patrick

It was discussed over there but not the same thread as the sticky one about balancing.

I didn't know the QC's had steel shafts. Anyone have any pics they can share? I've never been under a QC.

Silverback said:

As always...great idea....do I up grade the carrier bearing...

Nowwhat said:
As always...great idea....do I up grade the carrier bearing...

I would check and see what the Cummins boys are doing. I do not remember any issues with the carrier bearing from when I was a member of the Turbo Diesel Register, and some of those guys were way beyond the HP and Torque that you are producing.

For that matter you might see if the carrier bearing is the same between your truck and the Cummins.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back