1st oil change. Very Impressed....

68340GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took many peoples advice here. Used Mobile 1 15-50. No more sewing machine noisy lifters and raised oil pressure 25# or 175 Kpa. (Damn metric system). Sounds like a completely different engine. Thanks for your help.

15-50? hmmm. I think I'll try that. I was thinking about getting slow bleed lifters to get rid of the sewing machine noise but different oil is much cheaper.

A couple weeks ago I changed mine and they added 0w-40 and it's a sewing machine! Lol

I'm about to take a 1000 mile drive home and will be changing my oil before I go. Would it be worth putting in 15-50 for the drive?

IMHO I think you will be fine.Mine had a little over 15K miles.(700 mile trip home). Original owner used only recommended Mobile1 10-30. Changed it at 18.5K with the 15-50. You wont believe the difference.

Sorry, didn't really clarify. I've had my truck for about 2 years now. It's my dd. I'm currently in Illinois, but my season ends on Sunday and I'll be heading back home to NJ on Tuesday. My truck is due for an oil change in the next 500-1000 miles anyways so I'm just going to have it done out here before I head back for peace of mind. I've run 0-40 and 5-30 before with no issues. Was just curious about the 15-50 since I do hear that sewing machine noise everyday haha

I think just the oil pressure gain is worth the switch. Not sure about winter time. You may want to do some research on that. Good luck.

I think just the oil pressure gain is worth the switch. Not sure about winter time. You may want to do some research on that. Good luck.
If I can last through winter before I need an oil change it'd be a miracle haha

I gotta tell you guys... if 15W50 was appropriate for this engine, the SRT team would have recommended it. A wet sump engine needs 10 psi per 1,000 rpm historically. So, we need 60 psi ant 6,000 rpm. Anything more is overkill and just adds parasitic losses and oil heat.
I tried ONCE to run Mobil1 15w50 oil in the truck for the summer here in Arizona. Yeah, the fast bleed lifters were a touch quieter (At idle). However, the 10 injectors make most of the sewing machine noise. What I really noticed is the increase in oil temperature. That's a reflection of a loss of flow RATE due to pressure increase. Flow rate is critical to remove heat from the bearing surfaces. Parasitic losses? They speak for themselves.

In addition, your giving up the IMMEDIATE flow and lubrication with the 0w at start up vs. the 15w.

Just something to consider.:)

Cheers

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back