2004 dodge 5.9L turbodiesel

Geodriller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody know much about these??

i found a 2004 for sale and looks to be in very good condition.

3500 SLT, 214k miles, all stock, QC LB, up to date maintinance.

that is about all i can get out of the owner on the phone becouse he barely speaks english. thinkin bout makin the haul to look at it. he is like 2.5 hours away, which sucks cuz i can only understand very little of what he says, but i did see a couple pics.

he has it listed as 12,500, but said 11k on the phone. sounds like a good deal...what yall think:dontknow:.

i dont know much bout the diesel world. but want to build a fast truck that i can also use for work truck.

supposedly the 04-05's are the good ones. somethin about the computer and emmissions controls that allowed them to be mod friendly and strong runners

any feedback is welcome

I think the 06 is a different engine or something which is the one with problems.

I'll ask my friend he owns 2 dodge diesels and guys at work have them also

If its 4WD 11 isn't a bad price, plan on dumping 4k into the transmission/torque converter.

if its an '04 ,double check that its an '04.5 ,they seem to better,they have the higher HP rating.
I had an 03 and it was ok and an 06 and the 06 was twice the truck for me!

04 is a good truck, I have one I gave to my dad. Auto trans is a weak point. They are easly modded. the fuel pump is mounted To the eng and will burn up. 05 was moved to the tank. A lot of the guys making big safe power have had the head off and other internal mods. 04.5 has a different cam

i was told the cummins are the best diesel around, but are very expensive to mod. esp 04-05.

thats what i want. get their feedback on them huh?

thanks bro, noone better to ask then the owners

My brother has a 06 6 speed. If you turn the power up you have to replace the clutch, stock clutch wouldn't handle any extra power on his. With just the clutch and smarty tune he made 475hp and 880 tq to the ground!

My brother has a 06 6 speed. If you turn the power up you have to replace the clutch, stock clutch wouldn't handle any extra power on his. With just the clutch and smarty tune he made 475hp and 880 tq to the ground!

dam, thats pretty good. my buddy told me the trannies are the weak link. i told him i want a low13/high12 sec diesel QC 2500/3500. he said be redy t drop some G's in the tranny if i go Cummins.

how much was it to upgrade is clutch? and did he do any tranny work?

i also heard they really detuned the 06's and the turbo didnt push as much...that true?

His clutch was a about 1800 I think. That's all he has done to it. He is running about 47 pounds of boost. There are other tunes he can use for more power but then he will have to upgrade his fuel system. With stock pump and injectors he can't really go any higher. To make it so he can have big power he will need different turbo and fuel system upgrades. He found a sweet twin setup but he ain't got the money for that right now.

His clutch was a about 1800 I think. That's all he has done to it. He is running about 47 pounds of boost. There are other tunes he can use for more power but then he will have to upgrade his fuel system. With stock pump and injectors he can't really go any higher. To make it so he can have big power he will need different turbo and fuel system upgrades. He found a sweet twin setup but he ain't got the money for that right now.

Injectors are rediculously expensive for diesels.

i wonder if the 04-05 needs those upgrades to make the power i want.

For the auto tranny's,take them for a service and have the bands adjusted and the GM solinoids put in,same as our tranny's and they shift like a dream and that quick shifting goes away and that annoying quick 3-4 shift is eliminated too!
And for parts and filters go to a cummins dealer you will be amazed in the difference in the prices!!
I have a 2011 3500 Mega cab and I went to dealer for a fuel filter and they were $79 at dealer and $48 at Cummins dealer! Exact filter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back