2004 SRT10 410 swap to 456 guide

Reaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Ive been reading alot of threads about this swap and currently in search for part to do the swap. What Ive read is a little grey and not so clear. So thought I start my own to simplify things and afterwards Ill try and edit my first post here with exact steps needed..So,

can I use a 456 gear from 2005 srt10 truck ? is it a straight gear swap with bearings ? If I buy this gear new from dodge I was told $800

should I order gear from unitrax (i think that was correct company) ? If not this company where are you guys getting the gears for $200

Part numbers will help ?

I changed 4.10's to 4.56 for $210 plus labor. You can order from Motive Gear, part number is Dana 60-X. The 4.56 gears I really like over the 4.10's.

Last edited:
I too have been contemplating a gear swap to 4:56's... The Dana 60=X from motive seems so inexpensive compared to the Mopar or the Unitrax set. Is their quality as good or substandard? I realize quality doesn't always come with increased pricing but they seem super cheap at $240.:dontknow:
How did those of you who performed the swap adjust the speedo for the additional revolutions?

There is nothing to change for speedo . It must measure wheel spin for speed. There are a couple tools you will need for the swap. Unless you are getting a shop to do it. The the speader and the tool to compress the clutch packs. Dial indicator . And above all alot of patients!!!!

I have done gear swaps on some previously owned vehicles (mustangs) and was able to change the teeth on the speedo gear located on the tranny. If the SRT 10 measures wheel spin, is it electronic and can this be programmed into a tune?

I have done gear swaps on some previously owned vehicles (mustangs) and was able to change the teeth on the speedo gear located on the tranny. If the SRT 10 measures wheel spin, is it electronic and can this be programmed into a tune?

I believe what he is trying to tell you is that the speedo measures wheel speed directly at the hub. So no calibration is necessary for a gear swap.

Actually the rear end speed is from the speed sensor located on the pumpkin of rear end. The front reads from hubs. ;)

I too have been contemplating a gear swap to 4:56's... The Dana 60=X from motive seems so inexpensive compared to the Mopar or the Unitrax set. Is their quality as good or substandard? I realize quality doesn't always come with increased pricing but they seem super cheap at $240.:dontknow:
How did those of you who performed the swap adjust the speedo for the additional revolutions?

Motive Gear guaranteed it's as strong as OME if not better. Unitrax price is a hose job.

To bad you live in the Klondike up north ,I would maybe trade ya a 456 for a low mile 410 ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back