2004 to 2006 Conversion in the works

robwclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I have decided to ditch the engine swap plan & not make the engne swap in my truck. The 2004 Turbo truck I bought from FREDV will keep the twin turbo engine/powertrain. I am going to put a stock engine back in my 06 model, and return it back to stock. The reason I changed my mind is because I didnt realize all the differences between 04 & 06, and also, much of the fabrication to the 04 model is nearly unreversable. The fuel system alone would be a nightmare, and the 06 computer swap was gonna be a pain just to name a couple of problems. The work required would be crazy.

So, I came up with a happy medium. The main reason I liked my old 2006 model was because it is SO RARE. There were only like 68 solid black(not brilliant black) 2006 models built. I also love black, it is by far my favorite color. My new 2004 model is silver. Last but not least, I REALLY like the 2006 body & interior over the 2004-2005 models. So here's whats going on: I have decided to make my 2004 turbo truck a 2006 model. It will always be a 2004, but you wouldnt know it after I am done. Plus it will be cool to have a silver 06 as there are no silver 2006 models.

The following mods have already been done to the silver 2004 Turbo truck:

*Swapped out seats & center console with my 2006 stuff.
*Swapped out Door Panels with my 2006 panels
*Swapped all the interior plastic parts
*Swapped the Steering wheel & airbag with my 2006.
*Installed 2006 seat belts(yes they are different)
*Extended the Infinity amp plug harness over to the driver seat
*Installed my Kicker Speakers & Kicker Sub
*Fabricated a harness to make the heated seats function
*Installed a used 2006 SRT10 tonnou cover/spoiler & painted it silver
*Installed my BedRug
*Installed my 2007 tail lights
*Installed my 2006 Night Runner wheels
*Installed my Air/fuel monitor

OK, thats everything done so far. Here is everything happening in the next 2 weeks.

*Installing a complete 2006 Dash, dash frame, and Passenger Airbag. I went and pulled a dash out of a wrecked 2009 Dodge Ram 3500. The SRT instrument cluster from my 04 dash will fit just fine. The center console will then look proper as it will mount up to the dash correctly. The Dual-Zone climate controls will require modification to work right. The Passenger Airbag has the same plug, but mounts differently. I have a 2008 pass airbag on/off switch to install. I have the 2006 engine start button. Looks like all the air vent tubing is the same, so I am lucky there. This will complete the interior swap to turn my 2004 interior into a 100% 2006 interior. I am leaving the 2004 carpet in because I like the black 04 carpet over the Slate gray 06 carpet.

*Installing/painting a complete 2006 front clip consisting of: Front bumper, R&L fenders, R&L Headlamps. The hood, fender liners, metal inner bumper, foglamps, under bumper skid-shield, and a few other knick-Knacks are all exactly the same. I found a used mineral gray 2006 front bumper & grill at a salvage yard in California. I paid $750 for the front bumper & grill shipped in. This saved about $500-$600 over buying at the dealer. The front fenders are only $140 each my cost at the dealer so I ordered them, and took all this stuff to my painter. He is charging me $700 for the paint work which is about double or triple what he normally charges, but I told him no blending. I want the parts painted off the truck, then bolted on. It coukld take 2 or 3 trys to nail the silver shade perfectly, so it may even cost more, but its worth it to me not to have any blending on my doors & hood.

*Installing my Night Runner Headlamps. They will bolt right on once the correct fenders & bumper are bolted on. These should look awesome on a silver truck with NR Wheels & tinted 07 Tail lights.

Well that about wraps it up. The truck will be ready in 2 or 3 weeks. I will take some pics when its done and post em on here. I cant wait to see my new silver 2006 model. Cyall later!

whats wrong with the '06? and does this mean you have a gutted '06 sitting there?

toofast_28 said:
whats wrong with the '06? and does this mean you have a gutted '06 sitting there?

No I swapped all the parts out. I have an 06 model with 2004 seats, console, door panels, steering wheel, & seat belts. I will send the truck to the auction. Some dealer will buy it and not even notice the difference.

Someone's gonna get all FUDGED up when they buy that 06 / 04 Frankenstein creation hope they get a real deal because it won't be worth crap:puke:

EXCESSV said:
Someone's gonna get all FUDGED up when they buy that 06 / 04 Frankenstein creation hope they get a real deal because it won't be worth crap:puke:

I dont know about that...personally I think the 04/05 interiors are much nicer than the 06...the seats in the 04/05 trucks are wider and much softer.....that is why my 06 has an 05 interior...;)

maybe im missing something but why in the hell would you do this ,,,i just dont get it i guess:dontknow:if i was to buy an 06 and then find out later on that it had been gutted and used 04 parts swapped out in it ,,i think i would hunt down the scammer that sold it to me ,,,,,,but thats just me and my bad temper i guess:toilet:

Last edited:
Cool project Rob! I wanna see some pics!!!! And I second that Larry! The 05 interior is awesome.

Ironhead said:
maybe im missing something but why in the hell would you do this ,,,i just dont get it i guess:dontknow:if i was to buy an 06 and then find out later on that it had been gutted and used 04 parts swapped out in it ,,i think i would hunt down the scammer that sold it to me ,,,,,,but thats just me and my bad temper i guess:toilet:
nobody said he was gonna sham someone:confused:

personal preference, like larry said....

i prefer the 06 interior, but i need the 3rd seat every now and again...but i'd trade out in a heartbeat if i could...

robwclark said:
No I swapped all the parts out. I have an 06 model with 2004 seats, console, door panels, steering wheel, & seat belts. I will send the truck to the auction. Some dealer will buy it and not even notice the difference.

from this post of his ,,sounds to me,,, thats exactly what he is going to do:dontknow:

Ironhead said:
from this post of his ,,sounds to me,,, thats exactly what he is going to do:dontknow:
:eek:

oh ... must have skimmed over that... but still anyone who knows about these trucks will know... whatever I'd still buy it for the right price

Ironhead said:

Yep, not sure bout this cat! Hey Rob, still got my tires? Been pm'ing and calling for 5 months or more to get my tires and you show up on here talking bout more scam shit. I want my damn tires and now that I know you are out I will pay you a visit!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back