2nd gear slip

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I left for work...my tranny shifted through the gears fine. When I left work I gave it just a little bit of gass to get 1st gear around 4k and when it shifted into second it shot up and bounced off the rev limiter...At first I thought the tires were just spinning like they normally do. But since I wasn't sure I though id try it again...sure thing it doesn't seem to engage...I tried manually shifting it as well and the same thing...but it seems to hit second gear fine if I get on it and it downshifts to 2nd gear... any suggestions. Could it just be a band adjustment if it happened that fast?

Today I left for work...my tranny shifted through the gears fine. When I left work I gave it just a little bit of gass to get 1st gear around 4k and when it shifted into second it shot up and bounced off the rev limiter...At first I thought the tires were just spinning like they normally do. But since I wasn't sure I though id try it again...sure thing it doesn't seem to engage...I tried manually shifting it as well and the same thing...but it seems to hit second gear fine if I get on it and it downshifts to 2nd gear... any suggestions. Could it just be a band adjustment if it happened that fast?

There is VERY LITTLE band material on that band; so adjusting it may help but only for a very short while. Once the band that grabs the drum and stops it from spinning has no friction material left, you won't have second gear and revs will flare up like you are describing. If you leave it too long, the rivets in the band chew into the drum itself and you'll have to buy a new one of those too.
Sounds like it's time for a transmission overhaul.
Get it rebuilt with better parts and it will last for a long time at "reasonable" power levels and regular maintenance.
And I'd buy a shift kit while you're at it. That will give you crisper shifts (through higher line pressure) and help it live a longer life.

Ronnie

Last edited:
This couldn't come at a worst time...Getting ready to leave and I don't have enough time to get everything done before I leave for deployment...Can you replace that band with the transmission in...or do i have to take it out and take it in...I replaced the VB with suncoasts (shift kit/GM conversion solenoid) also has upgraded strut and anchor...will that band come out once the VB is removed?

This couldn't come at a worst time...Getting ready to leave and I don't have enough time to get everything done before I leave for deployment...Can you replace that band with the transmission in...or do i have to take it out and take it in...I replaced the VB with suncoasts (shift kit/GM conversion solenoid) also has upgraded strut and anchor...will that band come out once the VB is removed?

I'd take it out and take it apart.
Reason?: That scrubbed-off band material goes right into the tranny fluid and can plug critical passages in the valve body. That will eventually do more damage. Been there (WAY more than once...)
There is a pretty good chance there is some scoring on your old drum. You could pull the pan/filter and look at it. But if it is scored, a new band on a scored drum won't live very long.

Don't forget to power flush your convertor and cooler really well and replace the o.e.m. inline thermostat/check valve in the cooler lines.

I don't know what you have for power mods. If you have been late getting at band adjustments, the holding power of the band is greatly reduced as the fulcrum/lever that actuates the band has most of it's holding power in the initial engagement of the band grabbing the drum. I will readjust mine after a thrashing at the track with drag radials. A drain plug in the o.e.m. pan works well for this..
If it is a case of your engine simply over-powering the tranny, it will happen again and again until you get some stronger parts in there. I went with a HD band out of a 1970 440 Chrysler New Yorker, thin clutch packs, billet shafts (some other goodies) and a shift kit. It is tough enough for now. It cost me a small fortune learning what you can't do with them.

The 48RE is a 30 horsepower vampire and is an ancient design but it will work if you give them 1/2 a chance.

Ronnie

Last edited:
Your gonna have to drop the tranny to replace the band, i replaced the drum and went with a billet shaft on my rebuild last month. You can probably get away with just replacing the band for now, I put it in when I did converter and it lasted me till my rebuild,over a year with lots of spray and track time.

How could it go so fast...this morning it locked up perfect..

also...what all needs to be done to switch out that band?

Anybody know around what what a tranny rebuild would cost...just got quoted between 2000-2400 holy sh1t. I can replace it for that.

Anybody know around what what a tranny rebuild would cost...just got quoted between 2000-2400 holy sh1t. I can replace it for that.

Yeah you can replace it for that but it'll just come apart again, it cost a lot of money to make an auto hold up to the weight and power of these trucks, that why dodge put that tq magement on them to begin with.

Replacing it with suncoasts one should hold up somewhat descent...at least better than it is now. Has all of there upgraded parts minis the billit parts.

Replacing it with suncoasts one should hold up somewhat descent...at least better than it is now. Has all of there upgraded parts minis the billit parts.

If you are going to race it...
I've seen them snap the Input shaft on a well-prepped track with drag radials.
I'd invest in a billet one while you're at it. They aren't that much more.
These trannies have some unique parts in them (compared to the diesel version of the 48RE).
Go somewhere reputable so they don't cannibalize the good stuff. ;)

Last edited:
if you need a suncoast we can supply that, or a normal rebuild also, since we are working with a few things with suncoast now, Ron from suncoast will also be at our event in florida. But a complete billet tranny you really dont need, but we can do any parts now

Pulled the pan and the Valve body to take a look at the bank. This is what was in there.
TrannyIssues2.jpg

TrannyIssues1.jpg

TrannyIssues3.jpg

I adjusted the band. The band is just about touching in the middle now even after backing it out a turn in a half (or so). There was some black crap in there but not to much. I guess it was a lot considering the fluid was only a couple weeks old. The magnet had a lot of black on it. Anyone know about how big the gap in the middle of the band should be???

So the tranny made it to Reno, NV from Central, TX....barely. Got it there and then she was done. pulled the tranny out in the street and took it to a local shop known for building race tranny's (Trans Craft) Ended up with a full rebuild, re-worked one of the valves on my valve body (apparently one of the valves wasn't allowing something to release all the way and was a big contributor to the overall valure). Of course what could go wrong did. so I was unable to get it back in time to put tranny in myself due to having to order a new drum from indiana and having to fly back to get ready for this deployment. Ended up replacing most the hard parts with billit. Should be getting it back from the shop tomorrow and will post up the results. Im hoping all is good and it slams through the gears again.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back