305/45 Series Tires - Anyone Running Them?

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is anyone running 305/45-22 tires on their SRT/10 Ram? :dontknow: While searching I came across 1 photo of a guy running them it looked bloody mint with a little more rubber. Traction off the line would improve (more bulge/tire give) but I feel handling may suffer, albeit slightly, due to the sidewall bulge but at that aspect ratio I doubt it would be what you would call "horrible". What brands is everyone running, even 40 series, what seems to be the consensus? I see a lot of the General Grabber name thrown around the forum, all good feedback too. From what I have gathered any brand offers incredible improvement over the stock Pirelli's but is this true about Pirelli's 45 series as well? I will only look at V or W speed rated tires.

My questions: Will I run into problems with rubbing with this size tyre on stock rims? I have Stinkers 1/2" drop which is roughly a 3-3/4" rear gap and 3" front gap between the top of the tire and the center of the wheel arch lip. Both tires below look fine, the 45 series vary from 0.5" to 1.10" higher OD and they both have less section width which is surprising. Is there anything I should know about before purchasing? My truck is a 100% street truck so I'm only worried about real world traction and handling (ie: no track). If you have any photos please post them up. Hopefully this thread helps others out in the future as well. :) Stock tires have an OD of 31.50" and a SW of 12.40. These are the only 2 tires (below) I have found thus far if I were to go to 45. I won't pay $485 for Pirelli's, especially from how the stock ones perform, so I've been told.

Regards,
Carl

305/45-22 General Grabber UHP Tires - 32.00" Overall Diameter + 12.00" Section width. (V rated)
Summit Part# GTI-15478020000 - $189.95

gti-15477000000_w.jpg

305/45-22 Kumho Ecsta STX Tires - 32.60" Overall Diamter + 11.90" Section width (V rated)
Summit Part# KUM-1649113 - $189.95

kum-1635713_w.jpg

305/45-22 Continental ContiCrossContact UHP Tires - 32.80" Overall Diamter + 12.00" Section width (W rated)
Summit Part# CTL-03545810000 - $189.95

ctl-03520680000_w.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, these 2 305/45-22 tires as well. :) Good thing is, there is at least a selection for us. :rock:

305/45-22 Toyo Proxes S/T Tires - 32.80" OD with 12.00" SW on a 10" rim. (Y rated)
Part # 242370
lpid35.jpg

305/45-22 Maxxis S2 Marauder II Tires - 32.80" OD with 11.90" SW on a 10" rim. (V rated)
Part # Unknown
MAS2%20Marauder.gif

i am running the Kumho 305-40-22's and there awesome for traction but there sidewall flex leaves something to be desired.

Thanks Voodoo. :) I have been doing more searching (here and "abroad") and so far I am leaning towards the General Grabber tires. Good price, great traction and good looks + they are only 1/2 an inch over the stock tire height, the others are an inch plus. So basically set but is there any reason not to in terms of fitment or rubbing? Anything else one should be concerned about going to 45 series tires? Thanks. :D

Below are some 305/45 series tires, looks meaty and more like a muscle truck. :rock:

305-45s3.jpg

305-45s4.jpg

305-45s5.jpg

305-45s2.jpg

305-45s1.jpg

i have the grabbers, 305/45/22. i like it alot better than the stock P Zero's. i also have boomers 2/4 drop. some rub, but mostly if i dont see a dip in the road until its too late.

Attachments

• 3-1-08-1.jpg
    3-1-08-1.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 15,825
Last edited:
Hey Dave, that looks sick bud! I'm really liking the look, again (to me) it's very muscular and suits the truck and it's size. If you are running a 2" front and 4" rear drop I should be 100% fine with Stinkers 1.25" front and 2-1/4" rear drop! Awesome. What about when your reverse? Any rubbing out back or up front at full lock, surely? Also, do you think it's worth just doing the back only to allow the front 40 series more turning room or will (should) I be OK with 45s all round. Thanks.

i have the 305/45/22 nitto 420,s i like the fact it is a smoother ride for my fat a$$ and it fills the hole better

Attachments

• srt-10 002.JPG
    srt-10 002.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 10,679
Thanks Ironhead, that is also a big factor, meatier look which fills the wells better. :)

Ironhead said:
i have the 305/45/22 nitto 420,s i like the fact it is a smoother ride for my fat a$$ and it fills the hole better

Same here, Same reason.:rock:

I wouldn't go any taller than stock IMO:dontknow: Me personally I know the ride would suffer but I want to run some 305/35/22's. I'm a little younger so that's my personal taste!:rock:

Last edited:
kyle's srt10 said:
I wouldn't go any taller than stock IMO:dontknow: Me personally I know the ride would suffer but I want to run some 305/35/22's. I a little younger so that's my personal taste!:rock:
Kyle,Take a look at this site.I have been looking at the Ultrac SUV Sessanta in the 305/35/22.Very nice tires IMHO www.vredestein.com

Carl, I put the Continental 45's on mine and the ride did get more compliant due to the taller and softer sidewall. I did notice a difference in cornering. It did not stick in corners like the Pirelli's but I feel the trade off was worth it. I can't speak for clearance because mmy truck was not lowered. I certainly agree that the tires need to fill the wheel wells better. I hate that huge gap. Had I kept my truck it would have been lowered for sure.

Carl I have the Generals 305/40/22 on my truck. They ride and handle well but I do not think they have as good as traction as the Pirellis.

i dont have any issues in reverse or turning. only when i hit a dip too fast (ones that sneak up on me)

kyle's srt10 said:
I wouldn't go any taller than stock IMO:dontknow: Me personally I know the ride would suffer but I want to run some 305/35/22's. I'm a little younger so that's my personal taste!:rock:
Hey, as of yesterday, I'm 26! :p :p :p That's still young, right? Guys? :eek: :D

Thanks everyone, seems like a trade off, good meaty look, smoother more comfortable ride and possibly (on paper) better traction. But, handling and cornering suffers. Seems like a fair trade to me but just HOW different is the handling? Is it like night and day or only noticeable at certain speeds and degree corners? If you have any photos guys, post 'em up, if not for me, for others later on when using that trusty [search] button. ;)

:burnout:

Carlwalski said:
Hey, as of yesterday, I'm 26! :p :p :p That's still young, right? Guys? :eek: :D

Thanks everyone, seems like a trade off, good meaty look, smoother more comfortable ride and possibly (on paper) better traction. But, handling and cornering suffers. Seems like a fair trade to me but just HOW different is the handling? Is it like night and day or only noticeable at certain speeds and degree corners? If you have any photos guys, post 'em up, if not for me, for others later on when using that trusty [search] button. ;)

:burnout:
it is not night and day diff and i feel no diff in handling ,,now if i drove 155.6 miles an hour around a tight turn mmm,maybe ,,but how many times do you take a corner in every day driving doing 90+ mph:rock:

I got the conti 305/45/22 .
I like them they got rim protection.
More grip in the rain and on dry road.

Alex
7c8cf9a5.jpg

I am running the Kumho 325-40-22 on the rear. No real help in the traction department though........

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back