4.88 Gears

I would love to hear from someone who has them in a Q/C.

I run 4.88's when I ran an 11.56 last year in my QC. I had problems with shifting in the tranny and haven't ran it with my QA1's and HTS valvebody with rebuilt tranny. It feels peppy in first gear and not too much difference cruising at 80 mph. I trip the lights at high rpm but my timeslip is all I care about. :D

Last edited:
I just got my 4.88's in yesterday. I was trying to decide which gear to go with. Change from the 4.10 to the 4.56 or the 4.88's. I knew I wanted the 4.88's for the street but I kept hearing the question of will you run out of gear in the 1/4. I decided to go with the 4.88's and run a 32 in slick if I can find one. I figured it would give me more sidewall for traction at the track, and I would have the fun factor of 4.88's on the street.

I must say I love the 4.88's. It's a different truck. Still trying to break them in, so I haven't done any wot's. The truck feels so much lighter, and 5th and 6th gear are perfect now. I cruise at 75mph turning about 1800 rpms. Right where I wanted to be.

This whole conversation has sent me back to the calculator now. I must say it kinda makes me want 4.88s or 5.13s depending on Chris's review after he installs his. :D

This whole conversation has sent me back to the calculator now. I must say it kinda makes me want 4.88s or 5.13s depending on Chris's review after he installs his. :D

I like the 4.88's, I'll be making some more passes as soon as my new Bogarts are done, I'll keep track of my shift rpm's and keep everyone posted.

I like the 4.88's, I'll be making some more passes as soon as my new Bogarts are done, I'll keep track of my shift rpm's and keep everyone posted.

That sounds great! Thanks

Great news, everyone. I installed my 7.17's and they are AWESOME!! I highly recommend this to anyone!!:D

Great news, everyone. I installed my 7.17's and they are AWESOME!! I highly recommend this to anyone!!:D

Per your recommendation I did the same and I must say it's pretty awesome to be able to cruise around town in 6th gear. :D

or ya could throw one of these under her.

ya can have a butt load of gear ratios:D:rock:

Attachments

• Scan0003.jpg
    Scan0003.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Scan0004.jpg
    Scan0004.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
yeah, but with 7.17's he can start off in 4th. cut down on shiftin:D:dontknow:

Thank a lot for this thread. :( Now I really want some 4.88's. About how much is the change over(without labor, I have a hookup on that). I rarely track it but would love that street upgrade.

Mine was just a cryo'ed gear change. My next mod is to bypass the tranny and build a driveshaft directly from the flywheel to the differential to cut down on drivetrain loss. Hope to pick up at least 30 hp and some weight reduction due to tranny removal. :D

Last edited:
Thank a lot for this thread. :( Now I really want some 4.88's. About how much is the change over(without labor, I have a hookup on that). I rarely track it but would love that street upgrade.

Contact Tony at JTSVP, Last time I saw the parts were about $600.00.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back