4.88's at track/caltracs question

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am finally going to run my truck with the 4.88 gears at the track. Last time I ran my truck I ran a best time of 13.59 (magnflow, K & N).

Now 4.88's, Centerforce clutch, DC Stage two, cat delete, x metal TB/shifter, and caltracs.

Traction is gonna be my issue. Any tips on adjusting the caltracs for optimal performance? I plan to get there in the early afternoon during the test and tune session so I can make adjustments after each run without the pressure of trying to win my race and not get eliminated from the competition.

patrick

Seems like you got all the tips that I would recommend already.Going from 4:10s to 4:88s will be one hell of jolt to the style of launch your used to!!:D
After your done cursing at your self for first couple of rounds,You settle in nicely!!!:rock: If the track is good and your on your game,I see mid to high 12s:burnout: :burnout:

Last edited:
Patrick
I'm debating this upgrade. Got a price from Stink already.

The best-a-luck to ya Bud ..... Let me know the outcome. Will definately influence my decision on what to do next.

Thanks for any feedback .....

Jim

JimTeTe said:
Patrick
I'm debating this upgrade. Got a price from Stink already.

The best-a-luck to ya Bud ..... Let me know the outcome. Will definately influence my decision on what to do next.

Thanks for any feedback .....

Jim
Jim, Would be the best mod you have ever done!!!!!:rock: :rock:

Thanks for the tips guys. Getting traction is gonna be the difficult issue. Hopefully I will be able to dial in a proper throttle feathering launch that will work. There will be no slipping of the clutch(been there paid for another)!!!:argh: Theoretically 4.88s are good for 110 mph at redline if I remember Silverbacks speed in gears post correctly. I do not expect to hit that speed at all. I do know that my truck pulls like a sumbitch at 80 in fourth gear. This is the speed I let off as not wanting to end up in jail and having my truck impounded. Maui PD does not like it when you do double the speed limit! LOL

Getting a run in the 12's will put a huge smile on my face. Not blowing anything up will do the same as well. :D

Any other tips will be appreciated.:burnout:

patrick

My tip (which will be ignored):

Don't race it.

Enjoy it and respect what it is and what it can do...every trip down the strip shortens the life of the truck...some bear up well, others go away quickly when pushed hard.

But you have to do what you have to do...it is just a machine and it will do as asked until something breaks, and then it can always be fixed.

Drive it like you stole it, or pamper it...different strokes for different strokes, and it is all good.

Prof said:
My tip (which will be ignored):

Don't race it.

Enjoy it and respect what it is and what it can do...every trip down the strip shortens the life of the truck...some bear up well, others go away quickly when pushed hard.

But you have to do what you have to do...it is just a machine and it will do as asked until something breaks, and then it can always be fixed.

Drive it like you stole it, or pamper it...different strokes for different strokes, and it is all good.

I understand Roy. I just need to know what she can do now with all my mods. This is a one day event. I have no plans to race her again. I am looking for a different vehicle as my race car.......a camaro or mustang.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
I understand Roy. I just need to know what she can do now with all my mods. This is a one day event. I have no plans to race her again. I am looking for a different vehicle as my race car.......a camaro or mustang.

patrick
On this day in history a lie was told can you guess what it was:D

I hope you do better than I did last time out, but you won't have to deal with a wet dragstrip so you should be ok.

I would be weary of dropping the psi too low, don't wanna break the bead (although I'm not sure with these tires at what psi that will be a real threat), and the more you lower it the more it slows you down on the top end. Basically the more psi you can have in there while getting the best launch the better.

One good thing is not to worry about the guy next to you, in fact if your just trying to get the best time you can and don't care about beating the guy next to you (which you shouldn't), just purposely leave late. It won't have any effect on your e.t. and you won't have the other cars launch throwing your launch off. That way you can have total concentration on your launch and not have to worry about getting a good reaction time.

Do they not let you run just timetrails? You can always make a pass here and there between brackets, just drive up to the lanes and ask to run when it gets slow in between the brackets.

Small burnout, slip dump clutch, roll out a little before dropping the hammer. Good luck bro!

OSO said:
On this day in history a lie was told can you guess what it was:D

He's gonna be like me, pissed off everytime he misses out on a pair a drag radials so he can go back with the traction mod :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back