48RE 615 Transmission Issue

Devil's Savior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So trying to do some research for myself before taking my 05 Ram SRT-10 QC to a transmission shop. I race the truck pretty regularly on the truck, and know the OD gear is the weakest link in these trannies. Anyways so yesterday at the track, I noticed my engine would rev high and not shift into 3rd from 2nd. After some testing I found it would not shift into any gear until I revved almost to red line, let go of the gas then would eventually shift. If I go slow on the pedal (slow as in driving a 1980s Cadillac of Lincoln), then it would rev to about 4-5k and shift, but taking foot off the gas was still better and smoother. What I am asking, is who has had this happen to them, and what was the problem they found? Was it just the OD gear, or something else?

So trying to do some research for myself before taking my 05 Ram SRT-10 QC to a transmission shop. I race the truck pretty regularly on the truck, and know the OD gear is the weakest link in these trannies. Anyways so yesterday at the track, I noticed my engine would rev high and not shift into 3rd from 2nd. After some testing I found it would not shift into any gear until I revved almost to red line, let go of the gas then would eventually shift. If I go slow on the pedal (slow as in driving a 1980s Cadillac of Lincoln), then it would rev to about 4-5k and shift, but taking foot off the gas was still better and smoother. What I am asking, is who has had this happen to them, and what was the problem they found? Was it just the OD gear, or something else?

You can try adjusting bands but likely time to build.

My truck did the same thing before I did a complete rebuild. Had a transmission shop do a "bullet proof" build on it. It took several trips back to the shop and calls to Torrie (for tuning) to get it dialed in. Runs great now.
Our transmissions have been around for ever and everyone thinks they can build them, and they can, but not for our trucks. Do your homework and find a transmission shop you trust and research the build parts prior to starting the re-build.

Thanks for that. I am working with a transmission shop that custom builds a lot of their own parts, and is heading the GT-R R35 builds when it comes to trannys. The reason for this post is to research the build parts, as the shop has never dealt with one of our trucks. They almost used my truck last year to build upgraded transmission parts with to sell, but the shop decided not enough interest at the time.

How much was rebuild, compared to new transmission?

Rebuild all the way with someone that knows our transmission. A new one is not beefy enough for your driving. Had mine rebuilt in Houston at 48K and just turned 135k. Not a problem one.

Not too bad a price at all! Can you give me some insight on what components were upgraded? How did it change the truck? What power rating is it capable of now, as I'm already looking at putting on my Paxton Supercharger once tranny is fixed.

Not all sure but every piece was replaced do to metal contamination. Bands and torque converter were upgraded and some other stuff. Didn't notice a difference other than it worked. My truck was na and prob 550hp or so

Venomous!!! Long time! What is highest hp to the wheels you have seen on one of your built trannies so far? How many miles on it? truck won't make it to you sadly.

On the new parts, or total mileage on trucks? How many miles on truck once tranny built? Looking to get mine built, but need it to last as I race time attack and drag currently. May take truck off the track in the next few years, but only time will tell how soon I can get a new race vehicle.

Venomous what is price for that?

Please call Scott or PM him, because he's not a vendor I end up deleting his posts and you two can't have a decent conversation that way

I thought he was a vendor on this forum. Ok I will have to get a hold him that way

He was for a great many years. I wish Scott and others that support this truck could speak freely without being a vendor. Parts, Help and Support for this truck is so small, at some point, there will only be questions that are followed by silence

Back