513 gears in quad cab

Dans fulla shit, it will be easier to spin the tires but the lower gear (higher numerically) will make the wheelspin more controllable.

I still cant believe that know one has tried 513 in a quad cab.

viperhauler said:
you don't win races spinning fatsack.....i don't know what planet you live on??????:p

FatJack is correct a lower numerical gear ratio is much more controllable.......

but why would you want any spin at all?...i raced an 800hp mustang the other day...outran him to about 80 because i could hear him pedalling...that's what i meant....at some point it becomes useless....

that's what i mean...

but also...i think it would be too high for a 4 speed, anyways...don't you?

if my math is right it'd only be 2550rpm at 70 but that don't sound right to me, i'm gonna double check it

edit: yup the math is right, not sure how much highway driving you do but i think i could live with 2500rpm at 70 if i mainly drove in town.

Last edited:
After giving this some more thought, I'm thinkin it would be a mortal pain in the ass. You'd have to refigure the transmission shift points, have Torrie program for it with the SCT or change the PCM. The ratio now is not really drag race friendly...it's road race friendly, but it can work on the strip with the shift points adjusted. Lower gears should be fine if you ain't ever on the highway or want to use the tow/haul function on the road, cause runnin at 2500 at 70 is gonna get old quick....always feellin like you got it overrevved, not to mention how it's gonna eat gas. Just like my sporty....fine around town and quick....wrapped too tight at 75 on the highway...that's why I traded it for a glide.
I just got mine (QC) not to burn the tires off leaving the light with pedal to the metal. Hooks fine. Makes it easy. With lower gears, ya gotta learn to drive :D :D :D
Now I have to work a bit to really burn the tires but it's fun work!!!:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Just some thoughts.....let us know if you decide to try it!

Last edited:
I let you guys know if i try it and i do appreciate all the help that i do get from this forum. So fare i haven't Ben steered wrong in the mods that i have don so far.Just trying to make this truck more fun to drive.Is there any good feed back on the bbk throttle body and any other mods that i should do. The other thing that i do need help on is the transmission i see people are putting gm solenoids in the trans does an body know the part number for them and whats a good stall speed should i go with on the converter. Thanks

jay said:
I let you guys know if i try it and i do appreciate all the help that i do get from this forum. So fare i haven't Ben steered wrong in the mods that i have don so far.Just trying to make this truck more fun to drive.Is there any good feed back on the bbk throttle body and any other mods that i should do. The other thing that i do need help on is the transmission i see people are putting gm solenoids in the trans does an body know the part number for them and whats a good stall speed should i go with on the converter. Thanks

check with Stinker. seems like he has gotten them for some folks here.
:party:

With 5.13:1 C&P, 22" tires, at 65mph you'll be doing 3,515rpm in 4th (0.69). That's a massive amount and I wouldn't recommend running at those rpms for very long on the open high way. Can it do it? Sure. Is it good? No. It's an awful lot of gear and in the end might not give you the desired results. More gear and even SC may not be the way to go. Those gears are best suited to a 100% town driven/track truck. You said you want to have more response, sitting on the spot smoking when you floor it won't give you that, like a few others have said, more hp isn't always the key. ;) I'd be installing some headers, coil packs, new plugs/leads, TB and then looking at the traction side of things and weight transfer to bite hard and launch fast.

2c

I had 488's in mine for a little bit and on the interstate the truck was screaming. It was obnoxiously loud and the gas mileage was noticeably worse than with the stock 456.

Move up a level in mods if you want more power. Either heads, cam, headers or a supercharger.

I think alot of you RC are forgetting this guy is a QC and with 4.56 I can say in mine, I can use more gear. We aren't turning little ole 15" wheels anymore, and the weight and rolling mass are much different from days of old where 4.56 was track only in a car with 15" wheels. I am like 2250 ish at 70 I believe and I could live with another 250 RPM for the boost in acceleration. I also believe that after doing many gearswaps in cars that the minimum jump from 4.56 to 4.88 is not worth the money. If you go, I concur that 5.13s are the way to do it, and I might be a follower or trendsetter and do this as well.

I am still trying to figure out what super charger to do .Or go with a turbo kit.

jay said:
I am still trying to figure out what super charger to do .Or go with a turbo kit.

Depends on how much power you want.... how much $$$$$$$ do you want to spend?

Fore now i just want to bolt a supercharger on and down the road i want build the motor.

jay said:
Fore now i just want to bolt a supercharger on and down the road i want build the motor.

A Paxton will be easier on the motor and trans, but eventually both will go:eek: The Roe sounds better:D woooop wooooooop!

How do you like the roe. people are telling me that they get heat soaked really quick.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back