6 speed conversion advice and tips

6speedquadcab

NorCal SF Bay Area
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, but I'm finally ready to live up to my screen name and convert my quad cab to a 6 speed. I got all the parts and the tune I need to make this happen. Everything seems pretty straight forward, but before I put my hands on it, I want to ask for any pain saving advice, tips, and tricks from the guys that have already done it. Any input will be greatly appreciated gents.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm a little disappointed to say the least that only one person has responded to my post. I thought I would be getting flooded with help. :(

I can post here to make you feel better. But I already texted you the info I had, with a few extra pictures I had on my phone as well.

ok here goes...

Do the pedal assembly first. That was by far the most annoying and frustrating part of the entire swap. I swapped the pedal assembly out first so that i could break up the project into 2 days and still be able to drive the truck if i needed to.

When you remove the transmission cooler and lines, they puke A LOT of tranny fluid. Make sure you have containers nearby to get all the fluid that drips.

Take your time when you are drilling into the floorboard. Use the rubber grommet piece as the template when you make your cuts. Make the hole about 1/2" smaller all the way around so that the screws have enough meat to grab on to.

I just cut out a hole about 1/2" larger than the shifter and looking back i would have made the hole bigger.

Is your truck lowered? I had to to completely cut out the carrier bearings steel bracket so that the 1 piece drive shaft would not come into contact with it.

There is a dowel pin on the bell housing. You have to swap it over to the other side. I cant remember if its left to right or right to left.

On my truck even though it was automatic, had a brand new pilot bearing installed in the crank- so that was nice :)

Otherwise, dropping the automatic and installing the T56 was pretty straight forward. The automatic is HEAVY! you will need 2 people or a lift to drop it. The T56 is pretty easy.

Good luck with the swap. Feel free to call or text me if you have any questions.

E has told me it's not necessary. Would you recommend it?

Is it necessary? That's a good question. I mean shit why did Chrysler 6 bolts they must have thought it's was necessary. If you where putting a clutch in your viper and bolt was broke off in block would you fix it or say oh shit 5 will do. I guess it boils down to the kinda work you do or accept. I know of 1 Vendor for sure doesn't bother doing it. That being said I am just a simple minded guy that like to do things right and to the best of my ability. Half ass in my opinion if not done properly just my 2 cents

Is it necessary? That's a good question. I mean shit why did Chrysler 6 bolts they must have thought it's was necessary. If you where putting a clutch in your viper and bolt was broke off in block would you fix it or say oh shit 5 will do. I guess it boils down to the kinda work you do or accept. I know of 1 Vendor for sure doesn't bother doing it. That being said I am just a simple minded guy that like to do things right and to the best of my ability. Half ass in my opinion if not done properly just my 2 cents

Good point. Thanks for the tip Charlie.

This isnt something that rotates. Not comparable to a clutch or anything else for that matter.

The bolt hole is a MILE off.

In my humble opinion, it is completely unnecessary to weld on more aluminum, drill it out then tap it for the bolt. You'd have to have the bell housing installed to know where to cut off the metal from teh block, then weld on a new tab- hope its strong, and then tap it.

The other side of the coin.... do you really expect a failure as a result of one bolt not being installed? I sure as shit don't. Ive never seen in my life a broken engine to bellhousing/transmission bolt in my life. Ive seen cracked bellhousings and transmissions as a result of bolts that were too tight or misaligned. It would make sense that that particular area is over engineered in case of such an incident.

Either way... the proof is in the pudding. Ive ran mine for a few years now 0 issues. And i beat the shit outta my truck. 98k miles strong. I wonder who, if anyone has actually welded on more material and then tapped it.....

Last edited:
This isnt something that rotates. Not comparable to a clutch or anything else for that matter.

The bolt hole is a MILE off.

In my humble opinion, it is completely unnecessary to weld on more aluminum, drill it out then tap it for the bolt. You'd have to have the bell housing installed to know where to cut off the metal from teh block, then weld on a new tab- hope its strong, and then tap it.

The other side of the coin.... do you really expect a failure as a result of one bolt not being installed? I sure as shit don't. Ive never seen in my life a broken engine to bellhousing/transmission bolt in my life. Ive seen cracked bellhousings and transmissions as a result of bolts that were too tight or misaligned. It would make sense that that particular area is over engineered in case of such an incident.

Either way... the proof is in the pudding. Ive ran mine for a few years now 0 issues. And i beat the shit outta my truck. 98k miles strong. I wonder who, if anyone has actually welded on more material and then tapped it.....

You don't have to weld anything. It's a simple drill and tap that's all. Didn't compare to a clutch if that's the way it came off. What I meant was if the bolt broke off in the block tgat holds bell housing on would you leave it or get it out? That's no different in this case. Oh and yes I have done it twice now.

This is the hole you need to drill if your putting a auto on a RC block. So you can install stall converter bolts.

Attachments

• 20160131_101604.jpg
    20160131_101604.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160131_103152.jpg
    20160131_103152.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160131_103007.jpg
    20160131_103007.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Support Us