6sp Rear Seal

Chuck B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 5 months ago I noticed my rear seal on my Tremec was leaking slightly. I stopped at my local dealer to obtain a replacement and parts person was unable to do so...convoluted reason I wont elaborate on. Anyways, ended up at Napa and while unable to cross reference a seal we eyeballed one up. Installed the seal and good as new.

Last week I noticed my leak is back. Stopped at Avondale Dodge (VTCOA Sponsor) and the team there hooked me up with a factory seal. Apparently this seal is no longer being made and no new seal is currently notated as a replacement. Also, it was notated that any rear leaks on 04's needs the entire tail housing replaced as part of the fix. Not sure what thats about however Avondale found a seal at another dealer and had it to me a few days later.

Last weekend I pulled the drive shaft to replace the seal. I did the normal checks and precursors before installing the new seal. Got it all back together and noticed today its a bit wet again....:mad:

Anyone have suggestions? Our seal is a standard oil seal nothing special. I made sure the lip was well greased before inserting the yoke and double checked there were no nicks or material on the yoke shaft that would lead to early seal failure. THIA!

How many miles on the truck?

Trans fluid level is OK?

Bad universal joint or joints?

I'm no judge, mine only has 500 miles it will dry rot first.:D

chuck since my tranny is taking up nothing but floor space i will remove mine and take it down and see if they can get something close monday.

but sounds like you may have either a bur on the shaft, or something in the tailhousing giving too much play:dontknow:

Thanks for the feedback....I'm thinking along the same lines.

Truck has 82,279 miles :D I changed the tranny oil while I was underneath it last weekend. The U joints feel good. I verified the balance of the drive shaft prior and after R&R. While I did not sand the yoke I did verify it was smooth. The exposed portion of the yoke does have some weathering however the transition/junction point of contact with the seal is smooth to the touch. I will drop the drive shaft again and wet sand the yoke to remove any possibility.

The new factory seal went in just fine however I will double check it for possible tears. Pretty hard to do with our design/application.

Chuck B said:
Thanks for the feedback....I'm thinking along the same lines.

Truck has 82,279 miles :D I changed the tranny oil while I was underneath it last weekend. The U joints feel good. I verified the balance of the drive shaft prior and after R&R. While I did not sand the yoke I did verify it was smooth. The exposed portion of the yoke does have some weathering however the transition/junction point of contact with the seal is smooth to the touch. I will drop the drive shaft again and wet sand the yoke to remove any possibility.

The new factory seal went in just fine however I will double check it for possible tears. Pretty hard to do with our design/application.
Emory cloth bro, no sand paper;)

hey with 82,000 miles look at this also, and gatech has probably seen this, see if there is a groove in the yoke,

you may have to measure it with mics, but sometimes over a period of time it will wear a small groove area in the yoke, and no matter how many seals you put in it , it will leak.
you may need a new yoke, and you may not be able to see it with the nake eye

Stinker said:
hey with 82,000 miles look at this also, and gatech has probably seen this, see if there is a groove in the yoke,

you may have to measure it with mics, but sometimes over a period of time it will wear a small groove area in the yoke, and no matter how many seals you put in it , it will leak.
you may need a new yoke, and you may not be able to see it with the nake eye
Especially with 82,000 miles. try the emory cloth and if it still leaks you know its the yoke. Just because it feels smooth doesnt mean its not grooved;)

Update: Pulled the drive shaft yesterday. Wet sanded with 600 grit then finished with 800 grit. While the truck was up in the air I decided to bleed the brake and clutch fluids. Its only been a year since I last flushed them but the brakes needed it. Anyways, drove it for a good 60 miles. All dry....:rock:

Mine has leaked since it was 6 months old. Had the dealer change it out and it leaked again. Had the dealer replace oil fitting and still had leaks.....I just gave up and live with the slight mess under there.

patrick

Tech Tip Description: To remedy an oil weep at the rear output seal on a 2004 SRT10 Truck with a transmission serial number lower than 01890, please order and replace the following parts. (1) 05174631AA Extension Housing, (1) 05166053AA Rear Seal, (1) 05174632AA Vibration Damper, and (3) 06101462 Screw/Washers - Damper to Transmission.The serial number is located on the white bar code label on the top of the transmission and is the last 5 digits of the code, it is also the last piece of information on the metal tag attached to the transmission. Note: the Vibration Damper and screws were not included on the 2004 transmissions but should be included in the repair. If the damper is present (2005 MY), replacing the extension housing and damper are not necessary.

TheMoparConnection said:
Tech Tip Description: To remedy an oil weep at the rear output seal on a 2004 SRT10 Truck with a transmission serial number lower than 01890, please order and replace the following parts. (1) 05174631AA Extension Housing, (1) 05166053AA Rear Seal, (1) 05174632AA Vibration Damper, and (3) 06101462 Screw/Washers - Damper to Transmission.The serial number is located on the white bar code label on the top of the transmission and is the last 5 digits of the code, it is also the last piece of information on the metal tag attached to the transmission. Note: the Vibration Damper and screws were not included on the 2004 transmissions but should be included in the repair. If the damper is present (2005 MY), replacing the extension housing and damper are not necessary.
Seems like a vibration issue is causing the seal to fail:dontknow:

GADodgetech said:
Seems like a vibration issue is causing the seal to fail:dontknow:

Thats exactly what is was. Had to do a couple of these back in 04 when these trucks first came out.

good good good vibrations.............

How much do all these parts cost? i was finally able to put truck on lift and look underneath and mine is definitely leaking. Leaking so bad (or possibly so long) that my exhaust is black and my tailgate (after only having it for 10 days) is covered in oil. I called up scottsdale dodge and they say rear seal is on back order so i'm going to call a different dealer.

71dusterjon said:
How much do all these parts cost? i was finally able to put truck on lift and look underneath and mine is definitely leaking. Leaking so bad (or possibly so long) that my exhaust is black and my tailgate (after only having it for 10 days) is covered in oil. I called up scottsdale dodge and they say rear seal is on back order so i'm going to call a different dealer.

The seal is cheap however when I found the factory seal it was a bit scarce...found mine in Tucson. Give Avondale Dodge (Sponsor) a call. Patrick can track you down one. here is the part # 5166053-AA

If you want to cross reference the seal... UHO 450E or UHO456E

Other tidbits....super easy to do. Just remember to mark your drive shaft as its balanced in relationship to the rear yoke. I ended up having to sand my front yoke to finally solve my leak issue. I'm anticipating having to replace my yoke next time around. I'll goaftermarket when that time comes.

Chuck B said:
The seal is cheap however when I found the factory seal it was a bit scarce...found mine in Tucson. Give Avondale Dodge (Sponsor) a call. Patrick can track you down one. here is the part # 5166053-AA

If you want to cross reference the seal... UHO 450E or UHO456E

Other tidbits....super easy to do. Just remember to mark your drive shaft as its balanced in relationship to the rear yoke. I ended up having to sand my front yoke to finally solve my leak issue. I'm anticipating having to replace my yoke next time around. I'll goaftermarket when that time comes.
accoeding to alot of people that yoke is the shit no need to waste your money on wnything else hell 82k i would get the same dam one imo

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back