8.3 to 8.4 viper motor swap

Yes, it would be easier to modify your Gen III engine than to do a complete swap for the Gen IV. Just follow what the factory did to add 100 horsepower- Better Heads being the biggest change, by far.

600 n.a. crank is not hard and many on the forums have hit this level.

So, have your Gen IIIs ported or buy some Strikers and a cam; Strikers cost more but give you benefits you won't get by porting your stock heads. You get what you pay for here.

Like Stink said, modifying these trucks costs money and using the best stuff, costs even more...

Ronnie

Last edited:
Most folks that have gone blown and keep the blower tunes close to the blower mfgrs tune make good hp and don't have any problems.

Either a paxton or a Roe would make over 600 crankshaft HP on the mfgrs tune.

There a a lot of folks that have pumped the Paxtons up to 690-700 RWHP.
Some have had problems and some have not. These motors are very sensitive to tuning, any detonation will just kill the motor.

The HP loss isssue is not a loss of the Paxton it is usually the motor itself going away. As I said detonation kills them, and some are detonated and have broken rings/pistin ring land that lets blowby happen with a correspounding loss in power.

A blower is a great way to add HP and TQ, plus adding the fun factor without a corresponding decrease in fuel mileage provided you don't make every stop light a drag strip start.

Which ever way you choose to go, more HP just makes the truck more fun to drive.

The trucks are an exclusive piece that you don't see on every corner but we have to pay for the exclusivity.

Have fun and be safe.

Yeah I dont race mine or take it to the track..never will. Just like cruisin it but I do miss the sound and jolt from a SC, that I had on my lightning. I really would like to get the ROE. What internals would you guys suggest that I do If I did do the Roe? I dont really want to get internal but if I have to I will. Has anyone had a Roe SC install with DC performance? If so what else did you do and how much did it run ya out the door?

So then what about NOS?? is it safe? I have noticed alot of you have it but I just dont wanna be rebuilding my motor, ya know. How is it vs. SC?

I would recommend building the bottom end even with the Roe. Really all you need is forged pistons and forged rods...you can go with billet mains and chrome moly push rods and behive valve springs...but the basics you need are the forged rods and pistons.

The Roe is a great street mod. I have about 22k on my Roe and not a hint of a problem with it. I went to a ten lb pulley on it last year.

Go to the Roe Racing web site for prices.

TNVIPER said:
BTW Procharger also makes a blower for the 10..

Procharger does not make a blower set up for the trucks.
The trucks that have a Procharger have had custom bracketry made by Justin of JMB Justin to hook the Blower up.
Justin can do many different supercharger or turbo setups.
He is the man that made the Procharger happen on my red truck.

Attachments

• Procharger JMB 2.jpg
    Procharger JMB 2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 4,291
  • Procharger JMB 4.jpg
    Procharger JMB 4.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 2,999
FSTJACK said:
Procharger does not make a blower set up for the trucks.
The trucks that have a Procharger have had custom bracketry made by Justin of JMB Justin to hook the Blower up.
Justin can do many different supercharger or turbo setups.
He is the man that made the Procharger happen on my red truck.

Thanks for clarifying that Jack..I left out see Justin..

K let me rephrase it, I was having some problems with my truck which ended up me having to buy some new sensors and a new ECM. So the time it was in the shop, the money, was a pain in the ass. I didn't actually install the ECM myself.

So until I get the money all saved up for the SC. I should do some little things while I'm waiting like
long tubes? I'm working on putting Tooloe's side exhaust over the next couple of weeks.
Clutch?
What else and what brands? Want it loud and proud. I'm asking u guys cus u all know alot more about it than I do and have actually experienced the stuff I'm askin about

titus7 said:
Hey Guys, it's been one of those days and now I get time in my own little world to dream and I was thinkin or wandering what it would take to do a motor swap on our trucks to the new Viper motor? The 8.4 liter 600 ponies na? Anyone try this yet or is it a completely rediculous thought?

It is interesting where these threads end up...

Isn't it though. The original question came about because I was on the net looking up wrecked newer vipers with the 8.4 liter motor. So that's how it got started then my mind started racing, ya know

The 08 09 VIpers have a completely different Drive train, so you would have to change the tranny too and the 8.4 Litre has a lot less tolerable EMC. Hp add ons are very limited to Mopar controller, Headers and exhaust so far.

Good luck

Bruce

if ur not plannin on racing it ,just get a set catless mids and be done with it...

Going SC, nx, turbo or any power adder on the these trucks as been said is

not cheap. trust me, your wallet will thank me later

I would like to do the heads and intake swap myself.:rock: that intake shows definite promise.

Yeah well Im in the works right now of finding someone local who can set me up with the side exhaust like TOOLOE's, and with that I would go hi-flow cats, and some of stinkers Powersticks. I just gotta find someone to do the work. I want mandrel bent 3" all the way through. NEideas anyone....SOCAL shops??

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back