96 mph = 140.8 ft/ second = ?? car lengths?

Get Bit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird question.

Car A crosses the 1/4 mile @ 14.4 seconds @ 96.6 mph

Car B crosses the 1/4 mile @ 14.6 seconds @ 97.2 mph

Figuring @ 96 mph you are covering about 140.8 ft/ second, how many FT is car A ahead ( in ft) of car B? :dontknow:

:D

Just a litte discussion between the old man and myself. This was a race at the track between his SRT-8 Charger and my QC SRT-10 Ram. From my rear view mirror it looked like about 2-3 lenghts, although he said at 2 tenths difference it was like a 1/2 car. lol

To early for numbers here.....:D
SERIOUSLY!!! LOL!!!

But Going at 96mph would seem that its more the just 1/2 a car.

the distance can NOT be determined without the R/T......did you guys cut the same light...?

LOL, I know, I was just hoping that someone had there thinking cap on already this morning, as I sure don't!

To the unknowing, when you tell them that you beat a car by 2 tenths of a second, most are like, hmm that is not much at all, however you do not realize with the FT per second your covering @ 96+ mph, that .2 is substantial and far more than 1/2 a car length!

He just blows it off like I barely beat him, and gets defencive then I say it was more like 30 ft that I beat him by. LOL just some fun competition between us.

Last edited:
Nowwhat said:
the distance can NOT be determined without the R/T......did you guys cut the same light...?

LOL, no, I cut a .012 light and he was a .045

Me and Mike had the same deal in bakersfield...

I have a faster trap, (by 1? mph) but he had a faster E.T ....

It came down to the tune for me...Way too rich low-end, perfect top-end.

post 1/8 times for both, that will help out :)

Add differences in weight into the equation, and you can see that variance +/-

-Red

Ok, when I get the slip, I will post the 1/8 mile. I'm not sure what my truck weighs in at, he ran his car over the scales and with him in it, the car came in @ 4,450 ish lbs, Car is somewhere around 4200, I would say he is 270 ish.

Mine is a QC, with spare removed, no tonneau cover. 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm 6'3" weigh 236.

Yea, I figured mine was close to that. That's why I'm happy that I can even beat that car, even if it is "ONLY" by .2 :)

pushing a 5800 lb barn through the air takes some HP, especially @ 7400+ Ft in elevation!

Get Bit said:
Yea, I figured mine was close to that. That's why I'm happy that I can even beat that car, even if it is "ONLY" by .2 :)

pushing a 5800 lb barn through the air takes some HP, especially @ 7400+ Ft in elevation!

heck yeah! you did great man!! :rock:

RedSrt007 said:
yours is roughly 5800-5900

his was 4400-4500

Thats 1400 lb differance roughly..

Hey red srt was that you at the San diego dyno day with Jt and srt brad.

you have to take other calculation into effect (elevation, driver shifting, etc...) in order to get an exact number, but by looking at the timeslip section and trap speeds, you can get an Idea what these trucks put out (hp wise) at what trap.

116-120mph trap is roughly 688-700 hp

-Red

Get Bit said:
Weird question.

Car A crosses the 1/4 mile @ 14.4 seconds @ 96.6 mph = 141.67 fps

Car B crosses the 1/4 mile @ 14.6 seconds @ 97.2 mph = 142.55 fps

Figuring @ 96 mph you are covering about 140.8 ft/ second, how many FT is car A ahead ( in ft) of car B? :dontknow:

:D

Just a litte discussion between the old man and myself. This was a race at the track between his SRT-8 Charger and my QC SRT-10 Ram. From my rear view mirror it looked like about 2-3 lenghts, although he said at 2 tenths difference it was like a 1/2 car. lol

The time needed for this calculation is elapsed time from finish of car A to finish of car B. If the times listed are the total time including the reaction times, the math is as follows:

14.6 s - 14.4 s = .2 s difference

142.55 fps X .2s = 28.5 ft

If not, it is like this

14.4 s + .012 light = 14.412 s
14.6 s + .045 light = 14.645 s

14.645 s - 14.412 s = .233 s Difference

So
142.55 fps X .233 seconds = 33.214 ft

Last edited:
I think some time slips show who won and by how much at the bottom. Look at the time slip and see if it give the amount of time you won by. Using trap speed and time is useless. You can run a faster time and MPH but still lose due to R/T. There is a video of a SRT-10 losing to a titan on juice just like that. The SRT-10 had a faster 1/4 but lost due to R/T at the light. But to add it up you were .2 faster plus .033 faster off the light. So lets see, carry the one. You were like .233 faster.

EDIT
Found one of my time slips that give the total won by at the bottom. 2.5623 which is the difference between R/T and 1/4 mile time.
besttime1.png

Last edited:
Get Bit said:

As a rule of thumb, it is generally 1 car length per tenth of a second.

slow91 said:
As a rule of thumb, it is generally 1 car length per tenth of a second.
At what speeds? That generalization certainly is not valid at much higher speeds. It seems to be in the ball park at this speed. The win margin was 33.2 ft with a time difference of .233 s.

Thanks for the replies guys, just what I needed. Just some friendly competition between us. 30+ ft is an ass wipping. LOL

Or like the famous quote from the " The Slow and Courious" "No matter if it is by an inch or a mile, winning is winning." :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back