.99 horsepower per cubic inch

srtmaniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was sitting around doing a little thinking about another project and started crunching some numbers.then i read the posts on the paxton not keeping up with a modified engine build,which basically tells me the engine doesnt need it any more(or needs a bigger one)what would it take to make these engines produce 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch....naturally?i know they need pistons and such,but im talkin about the job of moving enough airflow to make 1.5 hp per inch.with streetability in mind 1.3 per inch 656hp should be a good attainable goal.527hp with a chevy 406 (1.30 hp per inch)is nothing to brag about,its a strong motor but nothing out of this world.The one thing i do see different(mechanically speaking) is we are dragging two more pistons.IM sure this post will get alot of attention and i would love to see some more NA builds with some big numbers.The knowledge is obviously here with some of you guys.

thats where the rotary engine is really the most efficient for Hp output.
Your right the more parts you have to move the harder it is to get Hp output up. Man you had alot time on your hands:marchmellow:

my 5.7 hemi is around 340 cu in and it makes 345 at the fly wheel if they can do that then in a 522 stroker viper motor 650 should be no problem with cams and such

and a viper that runs around Dallas makes 1700rwhp with twin turbos why are there not more srt10 trucks making close to that power with twin or even turbo set ups:dontknow: ?

Coley 1334 said:
my 5.7 hemi is around 340 cu in and it makes 345 at the fly wheel if they can do that then in a 522 stroker viper motor 650 should be no problem with cams and such

and a viper that runs around Dallas makes 1700rwhp with twin turbos why are there not more srt10 trucks making close to that power with twin or even turbo set ups:dontknow: ?
Because if you have that kind of $$$$$$$ you buy a viper. Stinker and hilgee both have TT.

Coley 1334 said:

it could be done i just do not want to push it that far my truck will be capable of that kind of power but really that would just be waiting for something to let go at that kind of power level

To answer the orginal question, it to expensive to build for n/a with a viper motor. It's cheaper, easier, and it will make more power to go a more boosted direction.

25,000$ n/a engine - 750hp if your lucky (650ish rwhp

10,000$ rods pistions mains and a 15,000$ turbo and your at 1400hp (1200ish rwhp

Last edited:
BigRed460 said:
Because if you have that kind of $$$$$$$ you buy a viper. Stinker and hilgee both have TT.

the $$$ shouldnt matter on a viper or not the truck was like 50,000 base price when it came out

i'm just saying the way i look at it is yea 1700hp in a viper is pretty easy

but 1700hp in a viper truck would be amazing even if it is just on one dyno run then have that for bragigng rights:rock:

1700hp in a truck that power would never stay to the ground :D but would make a mean a$$ burn out

1700hp in a viper car is just as easy as 1700hp in a truck

but the guy with 1700hp in a car isnt making that driving it all the time, if he tells you that he is full of poo.

you cant get a engine to live long on making that kind of hp, it beats the bearings to death.

but when I get done with my build I am sure it will be capable of 1600-1700+hp, but why?

you cant use it, its useless on the hwy. at 800hp you cant get traction, all the numbers is are braggin rights.

to make that kind of hp and to make it hook , you need to run a traction control system.
sorta like dom, fstjack and i will run, it ramps up the boost, but still , you arent using all of the hp all of the time.

but making big numbers naturally asperated is well the owners choice.

but like he said, you can achieve more or the same hp, for half the price of what you would have in a natural build. without all the hassels

srtmaniac said:
what would it take to make these engines produce 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch....naturally?i know they need pistons and such,but im talkin about the job of moving enough airflow to make 1.5 hp per inch.with streetability in mind 1.3 per inch 656hp should be a good attainable goal.

Like any engine that you want more n.a. power from- You need GOOD Heads, a suitable cam and enough compression to make it all work.

Your quote about moving enough air (flow) is really what it is all about. And 1.3-1.5 h.p./c.i. flywheel isn't too tough a goal.
Heads (and generally the induction system) are where the potential for making more power exists.
Some engines (like G.M.) have power parts available that we haven't. For example, heads that flow 610 c.f.m.! These heads flow way more on the EXHAUST PORT than the best heads we have available do on the INTAKES. I don't know of any heads near that category available for a Viper engine.
So a limit exists right there for making REALLY big n.a. power with a Viper engine in comparison with some others.
Streetable is another matter....

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is those Chevy engines are usually spun up to 6500+rpm. Something the V-10 can't do either (without ALOT of modification).

My Coronet is making 650 with 501 cubic inches on Pump Gas and an obsolete carburetor. Horsepower is all in the heads and cam, and as a rule of thumb the CAM is never too big,the Engine is too small!!!

mopower1958 said:
My Coronet is making 650 with 501 cubic inches on Pump Gas and an obsolete carburetor. Horsepower is all in the heads and cam, and as a rule of thumb the CAM is never too big,the Engine is too small!!!
yep, i am still amazed you can take a small block chevy and make 700hp, and we have a hard time,

but too, they have 30 or so years on us:D

rottenronnie said:
Like any engine that you want more n.a. power from- You need GOOD Heads, a suitable cam and enough compression to make it all work.

Your quote about moving enough air (flow) is really what it is all about. And 1.3-1.5 h.p./c.i. flywheel isn't too tough a goal.
Heads (and generally the induction system) are where the potential for making more power exists.
Some engines (like G.M.) have power parts available that we haven't. For example, heads that flow 610 c.f.m.! These heads flow way more on the EXHAUST PORT than the best heads we have available do on the INTAKES. I don't know of any heads near that category available for a Viper engine.
So a limit exists right there for making REALLY big n.a. power with a Viper engine in comparison with some others.
Streetable is another matter....

What is the best flow we have seen on Viper heads? Strikers? Looks like nobody has gotten over 350CFM out of them.

pokeytemplar said:
What is the best flow we have seen on Viper heads? Strikers? Looks like nobody has gotten over 350CFM out of them.

Strikers work well.
As for the best flow from them, I don't know; 350 seems a reasonable bet though.

Last edited:
andrew heywood said:
What is the stock cfm number :dontknow:

Gen III= 270

Put in perspective- Close to what a stock "906" casting b.b. mopar head (440) would flow.

Last edited:
andrew heywood said:
That is a shallow number, thank you.

Think that is shallow you should see the flow numbers of the Magnum v-10's only 203cfm! The Gen 1 Vipers weren't much better than that either!

Would it be possible to install say, 2 afbs with a custom alum intake and rework heads :dontknow: maybe 5 or 6 hun cfms:dontknow: and comm issues :dontknow: just ramblin fellas dont pay me no nevermind, just curious :) :D :rock: :eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back