A Car Buying Tale

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating selling the truck and this past week I decided to "test the waters". I read some articles and reviews for the 2012 Mustang Boss 302. A pretty capable and packaged car for around $40K. So I did some searching and found one, actaully at a local Furd dealer. I contacted them and we talked a bit. We talked further when I saw they marked the car up by $15K.

I asked them "whats the mark up for"? I already knew the answer but I wanted to hear the "party line". And as I expected the response was "well, it's a very limted production car and this is our market value adjustment to account for this". I was like uhuh, you don't say. I told them they were pretty aggressive with that market adjustment given the crappy economy we have. They said they would have no problem selling it given their "demographic research". I told them no thanks -- I don't fit into that demographic category and it would be a cold day in he!! before I paid $15 grand more for a $43 grand Moostang.

The morale of the story is I'm keeping my truck -- and these folks are nuts :dontknow:

You should have asked what the trade in value for the truck was, when they told you, you should have marked that price up, 25k... simply based on the "demographic category"

You should have asked what the trade in value for the truck was, when they told you, you should have marked that price up, 25k... simply based on the "demographic category"

:rock:took the words right out of my mouth

We didn't get that far into the conversation to haggle over trade-in value. We made it as far as the mark up chatter. But thats a good comeback to their line of talk -- put it back to them -- demographics my a$$. I'll give them credit though, they complimented my truck -- they liked it :rock:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back