A LITTLE HELPFUL INFO---MAYBE

shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometime back I had reported that when driving on the highway in this Texas heat occasionally I would WOT and on occasion the red light telling me to check gauges would come on. My amp gauge would be zeroed out with no other gauges reading other than what they should. Stop and restart the engine and all was well. Also I drove on one occasion with the gauge zeroed out for 45 miles so sure the alternator was working. I got many suggestions from alternator going bad to other bearings locking up. Removed belt off and all seemed well with all the bearing’s.

Last week when leaving the house the amp gauge was zeroed and the power steering was not power. Got it home, removed the belt and all seems just fine---again.

Ya all know when we get sick the last person to call is the doctor. Well, I called Scott (DR. Viper) and he suggested my crank pulley (whatever it is called) may be loose as ours do not have a key way to hold keep them from spinning. I could not check this as I do not have a 250 pound torque wrench and couldn’t get back up off the ground even if I was able to check the torque.

I took it to my local mechanic and told him the problem. He put her on the lift and found the torque was 200 pounds. He tightened it to 250 and after 350 miles and some (Mexican) racing the problem had not come back. Seems the good doctor was right and to boot, the mechanic did not charge me a dime. Ain’t life good!!!!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Did you ever have the pulley removed or did this just happen on it's own?

It's the vibration damper and they're known to come loose. Especially 04 and early 05. Always good to check them. Loctite and 250ftlbs is insurance

Did you ever have the pulley removed or did this just happen on it's own?

On it's own. Never to my knowledge had it removed from the 15,400 miles when I bought it. Way toooooo much WOT I guess. :dontknow:

Did not think to lock tight it but hopefully the good Doctor is going to give it a forged treatment in the near future and we will pin it then. Thinking the engineer that decided to save a buck on removing the key way came over from Texas Department of Transportation. :chain:

I don't really think it was all that loose if it was still 200ft lbs vs 250ft lbs. Either way, if it fixed your issue then that's all that matters. Putting a stripe of paint or "torque stripe" through the washer/bolt/damper area will help visually see if the bolt loosens again.

I don't really think it was all that loose if it was still 200ft lbs vs 250ft lbs. Either way, if it fixed your issue then that's all that matters. Putting a stripe of paint or "torque stripe" through the washer/bolt/damper area will help visually see if the bolt loosens again.

Idling before I had it re torqued I could hear a faint "chirping" or "chattering like a pulley slipping on a steel shaft. I do not know if 200 lbs would allow it to shift but something was causing the alternator and power steering pulleys to stop and that is all I can figure. :dontknow: By the way, belt has less than 5K miles with no grease, water or ware so I was eliminating all the variables.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back