a "must do" upgrade to the stock sound system......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moparracing, Jun 20, 2009.

Car Parts
  1. moparracing

moparracing Full Access Member

alot of guys use an LOC to patch stock wiring into RCA's for their aftermarket amps..... my amp didn't seem to have a problem with what i did, more of a two wires soldered into an RCA connector.... then it's just the two grounds & two positive wires tied together to hook up my mono sub amp.... you can come by sometime if ya need to see it up close...... :)

there's also a third wire in the stock loom that you can tap to remotely turn off your amp when the radio isn't on, i didn't hook that one up.... i have the color code @ home if ya need that one....:)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5076523_connect-stereo-line-out-converter.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i331_line-out-converters.html

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. LMSVPR

LMSVPR Full Access Member

i c...well i need to check if my amp can do it without the LOC, if it does need it, ill just get it.

i was wondering about the remote wire also, i didnt c any, so is ur amp ON all the time? or how does it turn off?

Like i said i have the sub and amp so all i need is to install them.

Well, whens ur day off again? cant do sunday cuz mothes day at work. how about tuesday if i dont sleep in ?

3. moparracing

yes my amp is on with the key........

you have boxes for your speakers too?

off tuesday, give me a call....:)

4. LMSVPR

5. LMSVPR

gotcha..

im gonna have only one sub, and use the same sub box. or try to get one build but only one sub. ill hit ya up tuesday then :rock:

6. moparracing

is that amp for the front amp replacement?? are you sure it's for an srt-10 sound system? :dontknow:

7. LMSVPR

yep...and some of the guys here are using it, so i think it fits :confused: :D

8. Black Venom-'04

Black Venom-'04 New Member Supporting Member

looks good broha, iv been thinking of doing the same thing maybe adding a t.v

9. SANCHOBA

SANCHOBA TEXAS A&M DAD Supporting Member

10. ntw0rk

ntw0rk New Member Supporting Member

Got pics?

There isn't enough room under the back seat for what I want to do, and I am looking for options. I really want to keep the back seats if possible.

The JL speakers are great because they are "Slimline". The magnet isn't very big, so they fit under the seat. The Rockford Fosgate I just bought... not so much. I thought it would fit, but the magnet is too big around. The height is fine though...

TIA.

11. Cruster

Cruster New Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the posts guys....been wanting to do this since I got the truck. No separate control for the sub drives me nuts with the stock roll up with the volume. I put Memphis audio stuff in my old truck a couple of years ago and think it's the shit....stereo is worth more than the truck :D but gotta have the tunage.

Great job on the sub Randy....bet it sounds great too! Can't wait to do mine and I've got some options with the QC.

12. kyleblix

kyleblix Full Access Member

I've got the QC, will simply replacing the factory sub with a higher quality sub make much of a difference? It doesn't look the there is much of a box for it at all. I'm not a big stereo guy so I have no idea if the poor performance is a bad sub, lack of a sub box, lack of power or all of the above.

13. moparracing

replacing the subwoofer & amp is a "must do" in my opinion..... my intention in doing what i've described in this thread was sub sound improvement while keeping as much of the stock look as possible..... this upgrade was a huge improvement over the stock inop sub that comes on these trucks. :)

14. FastRam

FastRam Full Access Member

Do you have any details on the box your buddy built, e.g. volume, materials used (I assume 3/4"T MDF), ported, sealed, etc.? Did he use the OEM Infinity box as a "template" to go from? I have a good collection of wood working tools, including a router and table and would like to build my own sub box.

15. moparracing

sorry, i don't..... :(

16. kyleblix

kyleblix Full Access Member

Alright, I ended up going with a 10" JL and upgrading the amp. What a huge difference it made. I was worred that using the stock location would limit the sub. While is probably does, the JL is soooo much better that the factory sub. Way more bass than I need or was expecting. It's amazing what a difference it made.

Thanks for the input!

17. Himes

Himes New Member Supporting Member

I need to upgrade. I can't live with the stock head unit, it has to go. What options are out there for head units? Are there Double din, GPS with DVD screens etc. that can fit in without too much modifiactions? I would also like to somehow connect the steering wheel controls to the head unit, if at all possible, but need to know what head units are configured to accept that.

I think I saw a Kenwood unit in another thread but I am not sure what the model number was.

I have a 300 watt alpine amp from my other truck and a killer JL 250 watt monoblock that I want to intergrate into the system. I agree with others, you need to have control off sub crossovers so I need to have a head unit with that capability.

I have to be able to hardwire connect my IPOD to my the stereo. With 10,000 songs, it is not not an option anymore.

I don't know what the stock speakers are rated for, but initially I can use them. I want to put tweeters inside the ventilation ducts on the driver and passangers sides. If you have not heard a vehicle set up this way, it is awesome. High freq. front end imagining makes a world of difference.

The starting point is the head unit though. I need to know what can fit in there and how much, if any, console sawing needs to occur.

18. JRSVIPR

JRSVIPR New Member Supporting Member

What part of San Diego are you in? Maybe we could hook up, And i can show you what i went with. H/U Kenwood 5120 With I-Phone connection & bluetooth.

Attached Files:

19. Himes

Himes New Member Supporting Member

I am in Claremont. Yeah, I would like to check out what you have. Can you control from the sterring wheel? I like that function.

20. JRSVIPR

JRSVIPR New Member Supporting Member

Yes i can, Required another cable.