Aftermarket Harmonic Balancer?

HaulinAsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Fluidampner or ATI make a balancer for these engines?

Part number if- yes.....:dontknow:

ATI makes one. Sorry I don't have the part number. That's what I'm using. I think Kevin at Underground has them. Try calling him.

LitemUp said:
ATI makes one. Sorry I don't have the part number. That's what I'm using. I think Kevin at Underground has them. Try calling him.

I wonder if these will solve the #3 rod issue...

kyle's srt10 said:
How will a different balancer fix that problem?:dontknow:

To consider:
http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/damper_dinan.htm

and a quote from Jim McFarland; ..."what must also be considered is that the most damaging loads on a connecting rod do not occur during the pure compression of combustion. The oscillatory vibration of a crankshaft causes connecting rods to experience compression and tensile loads, alternatively, during every rotation of the crank. Esssentially, they become rubber bands that must withstand these cyclical load patterns while maintaining sufficient dimensional integrity to not fail or cause piston/head contact or bearing damage.." end quote.

According to Childs & Albert (rod manufacturers), in NINETY PERCENT of the cases they have evaluated, rods don't fail during compressive loads. Rods can fail during detonation but it isn't common. They most often fail when they are yanked back from TDC during the exhaust stroke. END.

Personally, I haven't seen how these rods are breaking- Small end?, big end?, beam? (no one has mentioned bolts yet) and that is why I asked these questions earlier. Are the manual tranny guys having the most failures from blowing the 2nd to 3rd shift and over revving? Does the piston top have major signs of detonation? I do know if detonation was that severe, you would see it in the bearing as well as other places (ie. ring lands).

In a massed produced engine, I'm sure they don't put a special defective rod in the #3 or #5 hole of every Viper engine. Something causes it to fail there. Harmonics inside a 10 cylinder engine with a 97 pound crank might be a good place to look. Just a guess thats all...

Ron

Last edited:
Jegs has the ATI hub, spacer, and pully.

The #3 rod bearing is an oiling issue that can be corrected with grooved bearings.

The stock gearotor oil pumps cavitate at anything over 5400-5500 RPM.
There is no real fix for the stock oil pump issue.
An accusump will help, an external belt driven pump or dry sump will fix the problem.

FSTJACK said:
Jegs has the ATI hub, spacer, and pully.

The #3 rod bearing is an oiling issue that can be corrected with grooved bearings.

The stock gearotor oil pumps cavitate at anything over 5400-5500 RPM.
There is no real fix for the stock oil pump issue.
An accusump will help, an external belt driven pump or dry sump will fix the problem.
Good info Jack I will note this for reference.

I don't know if the balancer is an issue, but I desire extra insurance on the next build.....

Can someone give some more information on who has them, part #, phone # cost, etc.... Thanks Mike

If anyone has an ATI or similar installed on an '05 QC please post the part number.

Thanks,
oldguy

The chart is nice and all but I see possably two different part #'s. I don't know. So who does. Please hold my hand.:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back