Air filter question

Privatetoe82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its ghetto, but i wanted to try putting a K&N round filter on in place of the stock flat filter to see if i noticed a difference. I definitely noticed a deference in the sound, but is it possible that it could make my truck slower? It could just be in my head. I know its bringing in a little warmer air now, but seemed like it may have been a little slower? I only had time to drive around the corner though. Any input?

I think the general school of thought is that a drop in K&N is the best route. For me, I love the sound, and thats the ONLY reason I have a CAI. And of course the looks when you pop the hood. If you can stand a few ponies being taken away in place of a nice growl under the hood, go for it. I did.

I dyno'd the K&N flat vs. the K&N diesel cone filter a couple of years ago. The flat produced 1HP more. It's your choice on which one to use.

I dyno'd the K&N flat vs. the K&N diesel cone filter a couple of years ago. The flat produced 1HP more. It's your choice on which one to use.

That was a round diesel filter inside the stock box correct? I believe the OP just stuck a round filter on the end of the stock tube without the air box.

To clarify my post, it was the diesel cone drop in, vs. the flat. Both the stock box and intake hose were used.

Last edited:
To clarify my post, it was the diesel cone drop in, vs. the flat. Both the stock box and intake hose were used.

What is the diesel cone drop it? I am using the stock intake hose, and the bottom portion of the stock box. I just put a large round filter on the end of the stock hose and it is pretty much just sitting in the spot where the old filter and top part of the box where.

Doesnt the K&N intake kit basically sit like mine is now? If i where to make up a heat shield that blocked up to the bottom side of the hood, that would essentially be the same setup as the K&N, right?

To use the diesel cone drop in, you have to trim a small piece of plastic to make it fit. 2 minute job. I left the diesel cone in, as I had to trim the box to do the dyno test. There is no issue going back to the flat filter.

Doesnt the K&N intake kit basically sit like mine is now? If i where to make up a heat shield that blocked up to the bottom side of the hood, that would essentially be the same setup as the K&N, right?

Yea pretty much. Make a nice heat shield and post pictures.

Cold Air Intakes are for bling and sound. They are actually warm air intakes!

Ill see what i can come up with as far as a decent looking heat shield, then post some pics up. I dont think i can go back to stock box now, after hearing the mean growl that i get with the round filter. It is quite a difference. I may have lost a couple HP, but i think most of it is in my head. Its still chirping into second when i push it. I love that. Thanks for all the input guys.

You know the brake duct to cool your brakes off? Check this out: Make an air tight box for your filter with two holes about 4 inches, one in the bottom, and one on the side that you can get to easily. Close/plug the side hole somehow with something that is easy to remove (not a rag, something neat like a drop in piece of metal or plastic). Then run some pipe from your passenger side brake duct (or both if youre the man) up into that bottom hole. Your intake will have no choice but to suck up cold air. Make some sort of little sliding door so you can close it up in heavy rain, and unplug the side hole. Or you could just skip any little doors and drill a few holes here and there to let any water out. I was actually gonna do this and still might. To some it probably sounds silly, until they see it all done, installed, and made to look purdy :p But why not go all out??

Last edited:
my dyno numbers in my sig are a stock motor, stock CPU and ONLY a K&N CAI

we had the dyno day at ROE and there were quite a few trucks there then

for a stocker with a CAI, those were really good numbers

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back